Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2020 Tire Options

scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

Is there anything new/better out there in the tire world?

My last set was Dunlop ZIII 205/50/15.  Wheels are 15x8.

scottsmods.com

Topic starter Posted : December 3, 2020 2:38 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I like my Firehawk Indy 500 which are rebadged Bridgestones. They are older tires from a few years ago still being sold  but the only ones I know of that have nice stiff side walls similar to the tires the car came with.  I only got in one performance drive this year because it was taking forever to get 500 miles on them and when I did they were exceptional as far as feedback and liveliness. The grip will not match extreme performance summer which are basically race street tires but they will not heat cycle out as quick and will be better tolerated in the cold.  The only downside is that you will feel every bit of your suspension because there is less tire compliance but I like that.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2020 3:28 pm
scotched reacted
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

I run Yokohama Advan Fleva v701 in the summer. In the winter I run Bridgestone Blizzak WS90. 

The yoko's are available in the stock stagger for pre facelift. On the blizzaks I also run a similar stagger, just slightly narrower tread for better penetration through snow. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2020 11:40 am
scotched reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

If you trust TireRack, both the Yokohama A052 and the Bridgestone RE-71R are 200AA tires (205-50-15) and both are rated higher than the ZIII. I currently run Sport Comp 2, and have no personal experience with either one. Maybe we can get some of the other MR2 veterans to speak up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2020 4:41 pm
(@helowrench)

I am going to copy one of my posts from another forum, and amend it,

Continental Extreme Contact Sport. 115-125 per tire at discount tire (local to me and good to work with)

I went through the Yokohama S Drives (NLA) and didnt like the wet weather traction on them.
Have now seen a few positive reviews of the Flevias. Still waiting on more data.

I went with the Continentals ExtremeContactSport, 205-50-15 on the front 205-45-16 rear (2004 staggered sizes), and have been through a winter already, and much rain.
I liked their performance in wet weather until the tread depth hit 4/32 on the RR tire.

I did not get any better tread life out of the Contis over the Yokos.
However, the Continentals have a 30K mile warranty, whereas the Yokos have none.

Since I drive it very hard, that warranty was worth $80 ish (each) on the rears, as they lasted 9K miles

A note on "Summer Only" tires.
Yes, they explicitly state that they should not be used below freezing. Many of us have driven them in such (personally down to 20F degrees) weather, and continue to do so.
you definitely do have to understand the lower traction when temp is cold, and adjust driving to match the abilities.
For me, this weather only lasts 24-36 hours, and then back above 40 and life is good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2020 10:49 am
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

@helowrench Interesting, I've never bothered to look at these tires before.  I take it these are what would replace S-Drives in their category?  I'm not sure if I could step down in category, I've been spoiled by nice tires.

I wish I had a garage with space, I would have 2 sets of wheels/tires...

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2020 7:09 pm
(@helowrench)

@scotched

Flevias were the direct replacement for the S Drives.

#1 Is this your DD?

#2 What kind of winter weather do you see?

Mainly, the S drives sent me for a spin during wet weather. Tried the ECS, and found them to be amazing in rain, and equivalant in dry to the S Drive.

For me, the 300ish tread was a good spot

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2020 8:09 pm
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

This is my DD/weekend car but I typically go for the best tires I can get for the street.

Wet whether is non-existent in Hollywoodland. 

I ran two set of S. Drives when I first got the car, then Dunlop ZII and ZIII.  

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 8, 2020 8:07 pm
Share: