Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @galo
Posted by: @petrus

- I have two titanium hips and the left leg is not up to traffic clutchwork

That's a shame! I've had my titanium hips since 2015

Beginner 😉

Had my first back in ´89... The repair two year earlier had failed. The hips are great though as I can cycle all I want. Last year pedalled from Granada all the way to the uttâh top of La Veleta. 

Bought the Spyder last year because it was either then or never before I could not get/in out without a male nurse helping out 🙂  

Besides; done several years of ralleys with my son and swéar with cvt, variomatic. It May not be perceíved as sporting but it ís quicker. 

Back to smt the ´quicker/slower´ is imo a USA straight line thing. Over here in my mountain road world it is absolutely brilliant to concentrate on, enjoy, the lines, the corners. Lóve it. Would still choose it even if the legs would support a clutch. And then the downshifts... have a rípping exhaust and it makes me smíle.

One of my gfs is a nurse by the way and the old bloke with a blond nurse passenger in the cabrio thing is a fun joke. For this year we have an Osborn Bull theme; the cabrio and her topless with a bull in the background. Sofar done three and then the lockdown happened 😉 There is only óne other bull in the same province and it will be july before we will be allowed cross border I expect.

Back to the smt; all three lóve the sound/downshift too. When I had swapped the OEM back for periodic inspection the comment was that it was not sexy... Thea/c delete idea to drop 10 kilos was shelved because of the gf comfort. The buckets are bad enough.

Back to the topic; the coaster pulley is a great idea. It serves a different purpose though and is héavier so... lightweight underdrive it was. Have the vapour canister out so the airgun fit a treat.

Back to the córe of the topic; am running out of sensible mods. Wish the Hello Kitty exhaust tip were for sale somewhere 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 16, 2020 4:21 am
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

Looking for a waterpump pulley stumbed on the weight of the crankk pulley: 1650 gram.

That is rather a lot. Again there are two sides to that: well over 1 kg is riding on the outside of the rubber. So it will most definitely dampen harmonics.

However... The very same pulley is used on the whole of the 1ZZ/2ZZ family used in many applications, even several outside of Toyota. Just like the 1ZZ flywheel. Yet the output specs vary.  

Still, over 1 kg. riding on the rubber is a lot of balancing. But then so is taking 4 kilos off the flywheel, especially as that is mainly from the outside of it. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 16, 2020 1:10 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

Can't wait for my titanium hip lol

I hate to thread jack, but...

If you're having hip pain and reduced mobility, you'll be soooo happy after you've had the replacement. You can ask T-bone about me. He saw me regularly at work. I was often in severe pain. The shortest walks took "for_ever". I think back and get a tear or 3. I'm SO glad those days are over. My surgeon told me they'd last 20 years. I was 65 when they were done. I said "Let's make an appointment for February, 2035(I'd be 85)...only this time, do both at the same time...I can handle it."

Hang in there Petrus...and haloruler64, be patient(pun intended)...

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2020 5:46 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

That's a shame! I've had my titanium hips since 2015

Beginner 😉

Had my first back in ´89... The repair two year earlier had failed. The hips are great though as I can cycle all I want. Last year pedalled from Granada all the way to the uttâh top of La Veleta. 

Bought the Spyder last year because it was either then or never before I could not get/in out without a male nurse helping out 🙂  

Besides; done several years of ralleys with my son and swéar with cvt, variomatic. It May not be perceíved as sporting but it ís quicker. 

🙂

I guess so! I'm not allowed to run, jump or lift more than 100lb. I guess my surgeon doesn't want to do any repairs LOL

I won't comment on the SMT...one must do what one must do!

Stay healthy and safe!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2020 6:14 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

My surgeon told me they'd last 20 years. I was 65 when they were done.

My lhs one has been in wáy longer and I have raced motorcycle, rallyed cars, done all sorts on horseback, climben real mountains both on foot and bicycle and it  still problem free.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 16, 2020 8:05 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

I guess so! I'm not allowed to run, jump or lift more than 100lb. I guess my surgeon doesn't want to do any repairs LOL

Lifting heavy loads is another thing. Since two year back stopped loading up and stacking the hay bales by hand myself.  And you don´t want to know about my figuratively and literally unbridled stunts on horseback.

As to the smt I really don´t understand the resistance against it. But then that is the same with the variomatic/cvt. Two feet driving is just one of the boons. If speed is your thing then on mountain roads you gain more with that than the automated gear changes drop. Heel & toe doesn´t hold a candle to it. Ok, I have very small feet, that helps, EU 40/41.

So, small feet in light shoes, two ti hips and a nurse gf...

Ok, turning in. Good weather forecasted so up early cycling...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 16, 2020 8:18 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I'd be very wary about an undampened crank pulley. I dunno about the 2ZZ in particular but you do hear horror stories of engine damage from running an engine hard with a solid crank pulley. 

I badly injured my hip in elementary school, caused permanent damage to the bone that is in the hip socket. Couldn't walk for a week. For years it would cause me pain, first daily, then weekly, then monthly, and now basically once or twice a year it gets bad for a day but otherwise doesn't bother me at all. My flexibility in that leg is reduced but my life is basically unchanged. However, I WILL need a hip replacement early, probably 40s. And from what people tell me, it's shockingly not bad. Refined, simple, and effective. Till then I'm gonna make the most of it and live my lazy lifestyle haha. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2020 8:25 pm
nocoolname reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

I'd be very wary about an undampened crank pulley. I dunno about the 2ZZ in particular but you do hear horror stories of engine damage from running an engine hard with a solid crank pulley. 

I've never personally seen an engine damaged solely from a LW crank pulley, but it's never been worth the cost for me to find out.  For that, I've never ran one and don't recommend them.  For your water pump, the 1zz pulley is pressed on.  You can put a 2zz pump on the 1zz and change that pulley though.

As for the hip stuff, I haven't had any leg or knee problems, but I did herniate 2 discs in my back in my early 20's, I didn't have to do surgery luckily and was able to remedy it through physical therapy.  I'm pretty active in about every aspect of my life so I'm sure when I reach my 60s I'm going to have some mobility problems just from wear and tear.  The memories, adventures and stories are worth it though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2020 9:53 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

The problem with risky modifications like crank pulleys is no one blames the crank pulley when the engine spins a bearing. People tend to double down on bad choices.  If I’m going to blow my motor it should at the very least be something that actually burns the candle at both ends so I would have some fun doing it and have a story to tell. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2020 1:31 am
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

Health wise I am like the crank pulley. Been warned when in my twenties about regretting the excessive adventures when in my sixties. Well, halfway there with titanium spare parts; a list of thing not working as before and... not regretting ány of it; stíll burning the candle at both ends 🤣 

My mottos:

- a3vt!  (atrévete)

- hqfm  (hay que follar más)

and the Spyder is the perfect vehicle to go with it. Now, what more can I do to it; awaiting answer about the carbon bonnet/rear deck and polycarbonate windshield, have an alu crank pulley underway,,,  😋 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 17, 2020 4:45 am
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@dev An undamped crank pulley is not likely to lead to a spun bearing, but can lead to a broken crankshaft.  The damped pulley is there to dampen out the torsional vibrations that exist in a crankshaft, especially at multiples of the crank's natural frequency.  That is why the damper is tuned to a particular engine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2020 10:36 am
dev reacted
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dblotii

@dev An undamped crank pulley is not likely to lead to a spun bearing, but can lead to a broken crankshaft.  The damped pulley is there to dampen out the torsional vibrations that exist in a crankshaft, especially at multiples of the crank's natural frequency.  That is why the damper is tuned to a particular engine.

Although I agree with you, the latter needs a bit of a caveat. Afaik the whole of the 1ZZ, 2ZZ family share the same crank pulley. 

The 1ZZ crank is cast and the 2ZZ one forged. This just about balances out (pun intended) regarding the flex vs revs but not the harmonic tune.

I am not disputing that spun bearings occur. I do have trouble imagining that crank flex, either rotational or any other plane, can cause the bearing shells to be picked up. Imo a lubrication issue is more likely. Given that this engine family is prone to consume it´s lubricant I think there is a huge red flashing pointer thátaway.

Lastly a change in flywheel weight has significant effect on torsional and any other kind of crank flexes or frequencies yet nóbody moans about that, in fact taking off 4 kg or more is generally seen as a great thing. To add to this argument, most of the flywheel weight shed is on a fár greater diameter thus of far greater to the power of that effect than the kilo shed on the pulley.

I´ll get my hat...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 17, 2020 12:58 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @dblotii

Although I agree with you, the latter needs a bit of a caveat. Afaik the whole of the 1ZZ, 2ZZ family share the same crank pulley. 

The 1ZZ crank is cast and the 2ZZ one forged. This just about balances out (pun intended) regarding the flex vs revs but not the harmonic tune.

I am not disputing that spun bearings occur. I do have trouble imagining that crank flex, either rotational or any other plane, can cause the bearing shells to be picked up. Imo a lubrication issue is more likely. Given that this engine family is prone to consume it´s lubricant I think there is a huge red flashing pointer thátaway.

Lastly a change in flywheel weight has significant effect on torsional and any other kind of crank flexes or frequencies yet nóbody moans about that, in fact taking off 4 kg or more is generally seen as a great thing. To add to this argument, most of the flywheel weight shed is on a fár greater diameter thus of far greater to the power of that effect than the kilo shed on the pulley.

I´ll get my hat...

They don't share the same crank pulley between the 1ZZ and 2ZZ. As Dave pointed out its specifically tuned to the engine which is an exact engineering science for the specific engine harmonics. The 2zz might be based of the 1ZZ as far as sharing a few minor things and a few accessors can be utilized like the water pump, they are no where near the same motors. The only thing that can be used is the 1ZZ crank in the 2ZZ to be a stroker but it also requires a lot of custom parts to make it work.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2020 1:40 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

The MR2 Spyder crank pulley is ONLY compatible with the 1ZZ. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2020 5:40 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

That's a shame! I've had my titanium hips since 2015(I'm 70 now). I've driven many thousands of miles in the 5 years I've owned my current C60 equipped Spyder, with zero problems.

Enjoy your Spyder 👍 👍 

Galo, did you get the sealed bearings or do you have to grease them periodically?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 19, 2020 11:12 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: