New Clutch Feels So...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

New Clutch Feels Soft?

scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

Finally got the C60 installed.  Same CC Flywheel, just resurfaced.  

I originally had Southbend Stage 1 (street) Clutch, now I have Southbend Stage 2 (street) Clutch.

The pedal feels soft.  It definitely grabs like a new clutch.  I have to get used to both the transmission and the clutch, but the pedal is just strange.

Why would the stage 2 of any clutch feel lighter than the stage 1?

scottsmods.com

Topic starter Posted : October 15, 2020 10:20 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Pressure plate vs disk surface material. I have felt some clutch pedals that were so soft that I thought something was wrong but it’s normal. My Kevlar clutch so tight that over time I got use to it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2020 11:11 pm
scotched reacted
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

Does the release bearing or any other part of the clutch system) create more pedal resistance as it gets older?

Also, the new clutch catches near the top of the pedal now.  It's trickier to feather b/c my leg is not extended.

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 16, 2020 10:12 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @scotched

Does the release bearing or any other part of the clutch system) create more pedal resistance as it gets older?

Also, the new clutch catches near the top of the pedal now.  It's trickier to feather b/c my leg is not extended.

Not that I know. From what I was told its the pressure plate that determines the force. It might change over time incrementally but probably not enough to notice.  I was also told that its the friction of the clutch material that determines the calming force to be used for the application.  Some clutches like my kevlar clutch require a strong pressure plate which might not be good for the seals in my hydraulics.  

A few cars that had aftermarket OE like generic  clutches that I have tried driving other peoples car felt like air.  It felt wrong somehow but the clutch grabbed and just worked. The OE clutch on the other hand just felt right meaning it felt like any normal economy cars clutch which is not remarkable but you could at least feel it.

Sometimes after a clutch job you might need to adjust the pedal travel which is an adjustable nut that has to be loosened and turned.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 16, 2020 10:46 am
scotched reacted
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

After having the car back for a day, I've found that the amount of pedal force feels more linear from top to bottom.  There isn't necessarily less force required.

My previous clutch needed much more force at the top (think bubble wrap).  My new clutch feels more like clicking a ball point pen.

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 17, 2020 12:35 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @scotched

After having the car back for a day, I've found that the amount of pedal force feels more linear from top to bottom.  There isn't necessarily less force required.

My previous clutch needed much more force at the top (think bubble wrap).  My new clutch feels more like clicking a ball point pen.

One thing I have always taken note of is how clutches feel not only from other Spyders but other cars in general.  I hate how some extreme performance clutches feel and think its a necessary evil to keep the power from slipping.   

The best clutch I have felt for this car was the OEM. It had the right amount of resistance and feel when the clutch was engaged, also very forgiving.  I can easily bog my car with the kevlar clutch with its strong clamping pressure plate if I don't slip it right taking off from a stop.  Its only redeeming quality is when I shift into second it grabs giving you a sensation of having a more torque. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2020 9:53 am
scotched reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Never had a Southbend stage 1, but can confirm the stage two pressure plate feels OEM light on the pedal feel. I'd venture the stage 1 is an upgraded pressure plate with oem type disc.... A search through their inventory may confirm that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2020 2:49 pm
scotched reacted
Share: