Notifications
Clear all

The random chat thread for throwing out things that don't matter

Page 7 / 47
 Dave
(@dave)
Trusted Member

@dev

It's hard to go wrong with any camera made in the last decade!  I read Olympus is down, but not out as they have a new release next month. Oly makes a fantastic mft camera but the format is falling out of favor.  Their PRO gear quality is 2nd to none. I switched out most of my Oly gear but kept a mark 1 for it's great built-in focus stacking and focus bracketing.  Your X-T1 should be fun and yes if you keep the resultant image size reasonable it'll hang with the best of them. 

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2020 9:37 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member
Posted by: @dev

That Pioneer unit looks like an iPad.  

Yeah it's similar to what I have now, the 9" Alpine floating display head unit. REALLY great idea, big clear display for maps. But mine is 800x480 and quite eh but this is 720p

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 14, 2020 10:22 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @dave

@dev

It's hard to go wrong with any camera made in the last decade!  I read Olympus is down, but not out as they have a new release next month. Oly makes a fantastic mft camera but the format is falling out of favor.  Their PRO gear quality is 2nd to none. I switched out most of my Oly gear but kept a mark 1 for it's great built-in focus stacking and focus bracketing.  Your X-T1 should be fun and yes if you keep the resultant image size reasonable it'll hang with the best of them. 

I’m going to say something controversial and that is digital SLRs and lenses have only gotten worse in some areas that matter. The specs are better and that is the problem because they become too clinical and lack an organic quality.  The reason for this is mainly because of the smaller pixel pitch to increase the number of photo sites and for the lenses having way too much glass to increase sharpness but killing micro contrast.  More megapixels are good for cropping as it can save you, the better processors can handle noise and increase of dynamic range but it’s missing that magic.  
The older digital cameras are terrible at the extremes but If you get it right in camera I think it’s better than the current state of the art. One of the reasons for choosing the XT1 is mainly for the lower megapixel count but larger pixel pitch which is the polar opposite of my other camera. 
I hope Olympus pulls through because they were the first to adopt the retro camera designs which was a great industry move. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2020 12:06 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @haloruler64

That Pioneer unit looks like an iPad.  

Yeah it's similar to what I have now, the 9" Alpine floating display head unit. REALLY great idea, big clear display for maps. But mine is 800x480 and quite eh but this is 720p

I’m planning to upgrade my head unit this year and I’m waiting and watching to see if there are any good audiophile units that are 3 way and can do high resolution files. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2020 12:13 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I'm gonna try to get the 9" version of that Pioneer floating unit. Android Auto on a big screen is a beautiful experience. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 15, 2020 6:46 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I'm gonna try to get the 9" version of that Pioneer floating unit. Android Auto on a big screen is a beautiful experience. 

Im kind of torn. In one way having a nice screen can make it easy to navigate but the problem is some of the manufactures UI is just horrible with pushing useless features that clutter the experience.  I like my interior to be the least distracting and that is why I hate gauges.  

On the other end of the spectrum you have the Sony rsx-gs9

C9cAjOcXYAADXEr.jpg large

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2020 11:20 am
 Dave
(@dave)
Trusted Member

@dev

Have to agree, if you find a body that gives you the look in-camera, that's desirable.  I have nothing against post processing to get a look, but the thrill in photography for me is getting perfect natural lighting for a scene and having decent subject matter to compose - then getting that perfect exposure out of camera.  

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2020 11:28 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @dave

@dev

Have to agree, if you find a body that gives you the look in-camera, that's desirable.  I have nothing against post processing to get a look, but the thrill in photography for me is getting perfect natural lighting for a scene and having decent subject matter to compose - then getting that perfect exposure out of camera.  

There are many cameras that you need to post process because the Jpegs output is horrible like my Canon but I see it as more or less as a convenience as they expect you to shoot raw. The Canon is also not ISO invariance compared to the other brands so you need to get it right in camera even for shooting raw but it's not that bad as long as you work for it using tried and true photography techniques. My Canon Jpeg preview  in camera looks terrible for anyone view because I expose to the right for maximum sensor saturation. 

I had a chance to shoot with the Fuji last night and I must say their Jpeg processing is really good. I will still post process because it gives me latitude to make it more impactful but it takes work. For a person who doesn't want to do any post this camera makes nice Jpegs.  

The EVF flickers every now and then which is annoying but the view finder is a manual focus dream with a magnified focus box to the side. I wouldn't dare shoot an event with this camera  because the controls and handling are just not big enough but for travel and artistic shots I think this might be a winner but I still need to put this though the ringer.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2020 11:52 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Im kind of torn. In one way having a nice screen can make it easy to navigate but the problem is some of the manufactures UI is just horrible with pushing useless features that clutter the experience.  I like my interior to be the least distracting and that is why I hate gauges.  

Haha well that's the opposite extreme. 

New Android Auto (post summer redesign) is actually quite good. Simple. Not distracting. I like it. Actually wish it had a few more little things but no biggie. Alpine's stock UI is okay, not great but not terrible. Not sure about the Pioneer yet.  

Also after lugging around a DSLR for all of CES... I'm done with DSLRs. Next camera is a mirrorless. All the features and power (for me) in a body that's a fraction of the size? I'll take it. I don't shoot weddings or anything too serious.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 15, 2020 12:16 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Haha well that's the opposite extreme. 

New Android Auto (post summer redesign) is actually quite good. Simple. Not distracting. I like it. Actually wish it had a few more little things but no biggie. Alpine's stock UI is okay, not great but not terrible. Not sure about the Pioneer yet.  

Also after lugging around a DSLR for all of CES... I'm done with DSLRs. Next camera is a mirrorless. All the features and power (for me) in a body that's a fraction of the size? I'll take it. I don't shoot weddings or anything too serious.

I have a love hate relationship with my DSLR.  On one hand the image output is clean and on the other hand the image output is too clean. I have to do a lot of post to get it to look right because everything is clinical  but at least I have plenty of information so I don't cook it.   I also love it for the way the controls feel as I don't have to look at any settings, just work the big dials blindly but having to hold a heavy brick makes me want to chuck as it gets in the way as its literally moving a body around.  Another negative is, its a psycho lady magnet that gets their attention enough to annoy you when you just want to take pictures and not have any busy bodies chatting it up.  The Spyder on the other hand is a guy magnet, no homo. 

You should give Fuji a try, it's really nice and you can adapt your Nikon lenses. The only thing I don't like about It its too small but I plan to fix that with a L bracket and grip.  I still have more testing to do but so far Im digging the system that makes me want to take pictures. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2020 12:58 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I'm aiming at a Nikon Z6. Yes Fuji and Sony are really stepping their game up, potentially even overtaking Nikon. But... I love what Nikon did with the Z6. It's so familiar. Everything is the same but more compact. OEM adapter means all my lenses work flawlessly (I know not all lenses work great with aftermarket adapters on the Nikon side). Option to use new Nikon glass too, which is awesome. Pricey bastard but hey, full frame. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 15, 2020 1:35 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I'm aiming at a Nikon Z6. Yes Fuji and Sony are really stepping their game up, potentially even overtaking Nikon. But... I love what Nikon did with the Z6. It's so familiar. Everything is the same but more compact. OEM adapter means all my lenses work flawlessly (I know not all lenses work great with aftermarket adapters on the Nikon side). Option to use new Nikon glass too, which is awesome. Pricey bastard but hey, full frame. 

I don't want to speak ill of Nikon as they make great cameras and although I haven't had any hands on experience but it seems that  the Z  mirrorless is a big flop and that comes from hard core Nikon fan boys and the industry.  The recalls and the lack of performance compared to their DSLR line was so bad its believed to be one of the reasons why Nikon is failing. Sony is much better as they had a longer run with mirrorless but even so their cameras have all kinds of reliability issues. 

Canon is no better with their first iteration of mirrorless but they have seemed to have got it right with the EOS R that is coming out this year where they finally decided to innovate by having to actually change the mount again which is a big deal when you can have a Zoom lens with the speed of a fast prime but it comes at a cost when the lenses are predicted to cost north of $3k which is insanity but if you are a working wedding photographer is not a big deal and has major advantages.   

If you get the Z because of massive depreciation it might be a good buy but I would not pay much for it considering its less than stellar value. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2020 1:55 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I'm not planning to buy a camera anytime within the next few years. Maybe Nikon's second or third gen I'll pick up. I meant Z6 level, AKA entry level full frame mirrorless. Since they have Z6, Z7, and that new crop Z series (I played with it and it seemed super solid). But if they're as mediocre as you say, I'll be keeping an eye out for an insane deal.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 15, 2020 2:25 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I'm not planning to buy a camera anytime within the next few years. Maybe Nikon's second or third gen I'll pick up. I meant Z6 level, AKA entry level full frame mirrorless. Since they have Z6, Z7, and that new crop Z series (I played with it and it seemed super solid). But if they're as mediocre as you say, I'll be keeping an eye out for an insane deal.

Thats probably the wise choice.  I don't think mirrorless is ready for prime time yet even though Sony has done well with it but their customer service and reliability is terrible.   

Fuji on the other hand is doing mirrorless right  lately and that is why they are gaining popularity with both Canon and Nikon shooters as second cameras.  Its not easy to break into a market dominated by the big two but Fuji is doing so well they cant keep up with supply of their flagship camera.  They are also listening to their customers and making changes that makes taking photos a real joy.   I haven't had enough time with the Fuji but so far its growing on me.  The major limiting thing about Fuji as an alternative is they decided not to complete in the full frame market, only crop and medium formate which is probably a smart move. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2020 2:39 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

I like that head unit, except for the price.  I'd love to find a similar looking simple unit that just has bluetooth connectivity and speaker outputs pretty much.  I can understand and appreciate the quality of sound the Sony unit probably produces with a good speaker setup, but I don't need that in what I'm looking for.

In unrelated news, Wal-Mart Mitch surfaced again.  Unknown if he's rolling back prices and rolling back odometers still though, but I did make sure and ask.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2020 9:42 pm
Page 7 / 47
Share: