Notifications
Clear all

The random chat thread for throwing out things that don't matter

Page 8 / 48
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

YIKES $1500! 

Mitch the Bitch has been around for some time. He's been commenting on my Insta photos. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 15, 2020 10:04 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

I think he blocked me. Oh well.

On the topic of social media though, is it me or are FB car groups getting drowned out in noise from people posting very simple questions that 5 years ago would have been answered by a pinned post on a forum and also becoming a cesspool of people who are seeking validation and 'scene points'?  I'm kinda hoping it continues and people start migrating back to forums.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2020 10:57 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nocoolname
Posted by: @dev
Posted by: @haloruler64

I'm gonna try to get the 9" version of that Pioneer floating unit. Android Auto on a big screen is a beautiful experience. 

Im kind of torn. In one way having a nice screen can make it easy to navigate but the problem is some of the manufactures UI is just horrible with pushing useless features that clutter the experience.  I like my interior to be the least distracting and that is why I hate gauges.  

On the other end of the spectrum you have the Sony rsx-gs9

C9cAjOcXYAADXEr.jpg large

I like that head unit, except for the price.  I'd love to find a similar looking simple unit that just has bluetooth connectivity and speaker outputs pretty much.  I can understand and appreciate the quality of sound the Sony unit probably produces with a good speaker setup, but I don't need that in what I'm looking for.

In unrelated news, Wal-Mart Mitch surfaced again.  Unknown if he's rolling back prices and rolling back odometers still though, but I did make sure and ask.

Don’t get your hopes up on that Sony unit.  At one time Sony made some of the best head units and then they went dark In the 90s.  This was suppose to be a homage to those days kind of like the VW Phaeton.  I does everything I want including the build quality and audiophile caps. 
It was then bench tested and showed unusually high distortion and lack luster sound quality.  Big disappoint.  Sony as a consumer electronics company sucks now.  They had the right idea but screwed this one.  

there  is some hope. Look into the JVC KW 855BW .  I haven’t auditioned it but it does 90% of what I need in terms of high end audio. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2020 12:31 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

On the topic of social media though, is it me or are FB car groups getting drowned out in noise from people posting very simple questions that 5 years ago would have been answered by a pinned post on a forum and also becoming a cesspool of people who are seeking validation and 'scene points'?  I'm kinda hoping it continues and people start migrating back to forums.

I think it’s Dore syndrome.  It’s like the whole thing with stupid blogs that are filled with uninteresting fake people looking for significance. 
At present this forum is far more interesting because as a group we share similar hobbies or we discover new ones from our friends here. The reason why this is, is mainly because real hobby people are far more interesting. Maybe not socially but who cares about that crap. We are doers. 

When I was growing up some of the coolest people in my neighborhood were the motor heads especially the motorcyclists.  They weren’t looking for fame or likes,  they were deeply into the hobby and that’s what made them interesting people. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2020 12:45 am
marsrock7 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I did something today that I didn't think I had the balls to do and that is lens repair. This is an old Minolta 58 f1.2 lens that was machined for a Canon mount.  The aperture was stuck open because the oil from the helicoils that migrated onto the blades causing them to stick. This is what happens with vintage lenses and they will need to be serviced the older they get. I called around to find someone to do this difficult work because it requires the experience of a watchmaker.  It turns out no one does this kind of work anymore commercially and they are probably retired or dead so I decided to have a crack at it and it wasn't too bad.  Removed the lens elements front and back with a lens spanner bought from Amazon and carefully pulled out the glass elements. Instead of removing the aperture assembly I sprayed  contact cleaner in the hopes it would clean the oil and then carefully dried it out with cotton tips. The blades are fragile so I had to have steady hand or all would be ruined but somehow it worked. After cleaning the glass I reassembled and now it works.  This lens is irreplaceable and has a look you cant get in modern lenses.  Some say its because they banned the doping of radioactive elements into the glass or because lens makers back then knew what makes a great lens.  

IMG 0013

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2020 7:13 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

I think it’s Dore syndrome.  It’s like the whole thing with stupid blogs that are filled with uninteresting fake people looking for significance. 
At present this forum is far more interesting because as a group we share similar hobbies or we discover new ones from our friends here. The reason why this is, is mainly because real hobby people are far more interesting. Maybe not socially but who cares about that crap. We are doers. 

When I was growing up some of the coolest people in my neighborhood were the motor heads especially the motorcyclists.  They weren’t looking for fame or likes,  they were deeply into the hobby and that’s what made them interesting people. 

You described those people perfectly.  They're in it for the purpose, we're in it for the passion.  Usually a couple paragraphs of one of those blogs or a minute or two of a vlog and you can tell the few who have a passion for the hobby and the ones making content just for popularity/money.  I've seen some very good vlogs and blogs about my hobbies, almost all feel like an ad, either for the product or for the person. 

Real hobby people are very interesting even socially for me, the passion they  have for whatever really comes out when they get to talking about it and that's the connection for me.  I've got a friend that makes knives as a hobby, they look neat and you can tell he puts quite a bit of effort into them, but then you get him talking about making one or the problems he had or a new technique he used that made something easier and the passion comes pouring out.  It's funny because he's not much of a car guy but we'll sit around when visiting each other and I'll talk about car projects and him about knives for a few hours, we don't really share the same hobby, but we get the passion for what we're talking about.

When I was younger there lived an older gearhead down the road from me.  He was a family friend and would work on my parent's vehicles some.  Guy always had a couple interesting cars under covers in his shop and usually a bike or two.  His passion for cars and tinkering with them is what started my journey.  I still stop by and see him every couple weeks and he currently has one of our old tractors restoring it.  I get to go paint the body work on it in a few weeks since he thinks I'm better at that than him.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2020 7:36 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

You described those people perfectly.  They're in it for the purpose, we're in it for the passion.  Usually a couple paragraphs of one of those blogs or a minute or two of a vlog and you can tell the few who have a passion for the hobby and the ones making content just for popularity/money.  I've seen some very good vlogs and blogs about my hobbies, almost all feel like an ad, either for the product or for the person. 

Real hobby people are very interesting even socially for me, the passion they  have for whatever really comes out when they get to talking about it and that's the connection for me.  I've got a friend that makes knives as a hobby, they look neat and you can tell he puts quite a bit of effort into them, but then you get him talking about making one or the problems he had or a new technique he used that made something easier and the passion comes pouring out.  It's funny because he's not much of a car guy but we'll sit around when visiting each other and I'll talk about car projects and him about knives for a few hours, we don't really share the same hobby, but we get the passion for what we're talking about.

When I was younger there lived an older gearhead down the road from me.  He was a family friend and would work on my parent's vehicles some.  Guy always had a couple interesting cars under covers in his shop and usually a bike or two.  His passion for cars and tinkering with them is what started my journey.  I still stop by and see him every couple weeks and he currently has one of our old tractors restoring it.  I get to go paint the body work on it in a few weeks since he thinks I'm better at that than him.

I also find the hobbyist to also be great socially but to the lame socialite they will generally not mix for the same reason that they could be doing something else better with their time then gossiping.   

Hobby forums or even interactions with those in your hobby locally can be a great thing because it is entertainment to pick someones brain as you absorb it like a sponge.  I met someone two years ago that had a pizza oven and it turned out to be his hobby that he went down the rabbit hole.  I know nothing on the subject but I was completely blown away with his passion that translated into the best pizza I have had.  I asked questions and he was thrilled to provide answers from his experience and at that moment in time after a few beers it was pure bliss.  There were no inhibitions, judgements or prejudices only passion. 

It inspired me to buy the same oven and learn. Now Im the most interesting person for having that oven but it takes work and is certainly not an easy bake.  Inspiring others should be organic and you don't need to sell it. If its a good idea it will be infectious but with todays social media you can see fake lame people trying to sell dumb ideas by all kinds of trickery using high production but the substance is lacking or they are clueless.   Sadly that high production does lure stupid followers that defend them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2020 11:51 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I also find the hobbyist to also be great socially but to the lame socialite they will generally not mix for the same reason that they could be doing something else better with their time then gossiping.

...me in a nutshell. Friends/family/co-workers start to talk about sports and I just bow out and walk away. On the plus side.... when it's Superbowl,World Cup, Final Four or whatever, I know I don't have to bother attempting small talk for a few weeks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2020 8:10 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @marsrock7

...me in a nutshell. Friends/family/co-workers start to talk about sports and I just bow out and walk away. On the plus side.... when it's Superbowl,World Cup, Final Four or whatever, I know I don't have to bother attempting small talk for a few weeks.

I’m not a sports fan either.  I had a good laugh when my sports fan friends got an earful when they made fun of my hobbies. I told them they are watching a predetermined outcome that they are not in on.  I remember the days when they questioned the WWf being a real sport and now we find out it’s just as much of a real sport as  everything else. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2020 11:51 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I'm also not a sports fan.   I don't know who is playing in the Superbowl,  but I'm pretty sure the winning team will score a hat trick in the fourth quarter with a final score of 15/ love which will cause them to go into overtime until someone shoots a boggie from the center line, thus winning the gold.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2020 3:03 am
dev and marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @uncle-mush

I'm also not a sports fan.   I don't know who is playing in the Superbowl,  but I'm pretty sure the winning team will score a hat trick in the fourth quarter with a final score of 15/ love which will cause them to go into overtime until someone shoots a boggie from the center line, thus winning the gold.

...and the crowd goes wild!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2020 11:12 am
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @uncle-mush

Yes what you have described is a sure home run

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2020 9:19 am
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I watch one sport, MotoGP.  

I know jack all about footbowl or superballs or hockey schtick or dodgeball or what have you.  Could not care less.  It's completely rigged, all of it.  

I don't do Failbook or Cryspace or any of that crap either.  

I'd love to get back to the old-school dial-up BBS format of message forum.  

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2020 3:16 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @pwnzor

I watch one sport, MotoGP.  

I know jack all about footbowl or superballs or hockey schtick or dodgeball or what have you.  Could not care less.  It's completely rigged, all of it.  

I don't do Failbook or Cryspace or any of that crap either.  

I'd love to get back to the old-school dial-up BBS format of message forum.  

It all started with the calculator and it got worse from there.  

Pimple faced gamers are now treated like sports celebrities. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2020 3:51 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Heading out to Maui tomorrow for a work trip. But it'll be nice to relax in the evenings. Weather isn't too hot this time. Last work trip to Maui it was 100F and 90%+ humidity and it was MISERABLE. Looking forward to it.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 20, 2020 4:45 pm
Page 8 / 48
Share: