The random chat thr...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The random chat thread for throwing out things that don't matter

Page 19 / 48
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@dev thanks! I have not had it before but look forward to it.

@t-bone 14-22 cups of deathwish a day? Do you even drink anything else? I am admittedly caffeine dependant but I just cannot drink deathwish.... Hits too fast for me.

I usually stick to lighter roasts for the increased caffeine content and because I find the flavor profiles more versitale when it comes to temperature. Being I work in a physical labor industry in south Texas and don't always have the luxury of air conditioning.... I usually drink my coffee cold for about half the year. Before everyone bashes me for that thou.... At least it is still black. 

I can enjoy any roast when made right. It's not bitterness I try to get away from, high acidity is what bothers me. And just like in most work environments, the coffee on hand has always been on the burner for over an hour, and probably made by somebody that just pours pre-ground beans right out of the container into the basket without bothering to even measure. 

Before my industry got shut down I surprised several of my coworkers with what I was brewing in the corner of the lighting room. Converted a handful... They wouldn't drink anything else available in the building if my coffee pot was going. Hell... They even setup a tip jar for me, which I never asked for or even wanted. Must be ok.... Even if it's just drip coffee at work.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 27, 2020 11:37 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I just had another cup.  The important thing about this coffee is getting the brew temps just right. Lower temps are mild and sweet  but if you dance on the edge with the right dose you will get bitter sweet hard core coffee flavor. I need bitter in my coffee.  I feel like Harrison Ford in the movie witness when the Amish lady hands him coffee. 

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8e4a5766-ffe5-47f6-b45d-2c10cd28d49e#Krm5t5-knhE.copy

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2020 10:28 am
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @grumpy

The only time I have had anything put in my coffee was in New Orleans at Cafe Du Monde, cafe au lait and beignets.

Those beignets are a must have when in New Orleans along with the bananas foster at Brennan's.

Posted by: @t-bone

I drink this it is by far the best coffee I have ever had. 

death wish coffee. I typically have between 14-22 cups a day and go through about 8 lbs of the stuff a month. Shipped to the house on a regular schedule. I t is fantastic. Fun fact lightly roasted coffee actually has more caffeine as the roasting process Carmelizes stuff and breaks down the caffeine molecule. I roasted white coffee has a nutty almost almond like flavor that will get you juiced up right quick. Death wish is the next best thing roasted just the right amount for taste and jolt 

https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/?utm_term=beans%20deathwish%20coffee&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=viz_Brand+-+Death+Wish+Coffee&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_ver=3&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_src=s&hsa_kw=beans%20deathwish%20coffee&hsa_mt=e&hsa_cam=1067586472&hsa_grp=1198468117403304&hsa_ad=&hsa_acc=3703684739&hsa_tgt=kwd-74904419676724:loc-4096&msclkid=31d475c6df3e12aa87712a812e6d2e30&utm_content=DWC%20-%20Beans

That sounds like heart problems in the making at your age.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2020 10:53 am
grumpy reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Anyone tried Black Riffle coffees.   It is interesting that they themed  their coffee after rifles and ammo. 

I had their AK espresso.  It was all right but I had better.   These coffee roasters became very popular and very successful over a short period of time on their own merits as roasters and now coffee shops.  They give back to veterans, law enforcement and first responders which is a great way to take corporate money away from the likes of fake Starbucks and offer a solid product run by veterans who could use the uplift.     

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2020 11:48 am
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

@dev I tried the coffee. I thought it was decent enough. Not really seeing the hype that some gave the company in general and I say that as a Veteran. I do wish them luck though. 

In WA there were so many great places to get coffee that I was always very confused by the village idiots who instead went to Starbucks. No offense if that is all you have near you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2020 5:47 pm
marsrock7 and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @wilcomr-s

@dev I tried the coffee. I thought it was decent enough. Not really seeing the hype that some gave the company in general and I say that as a Veteran. I do wish them luck though. 

In WA there were so many great places to get coffee that I was always very confused by the village idiots who instead went to Starbucks. No offense if that is all you have near you.

I also wish them success.  When I visited a friend in Seattle about 10 years ago they had these mobile trailer drive throughs with girls in bikinis making  and serving great coffee. 

At Starbucks they use super automatic machines to make coffee.  It’s a crime when they call themselves baristas.  In Italy a barista is highly regarded skilled professional of the culinary arts.  It’s very difficult to make good espresso.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2020 7:08 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@dev I actually do like Black Rifle coffee! I feel more manly just opening the bag!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2020 8:15 pm
dev and LordTakuban reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Sounds delightful, but can I get a decaf version of that?

Lol it bills itself as the most caffeinated coffee you can obtain. 😉 I am pretty sure they do not have a decaf. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 30, 2020 8:24 am
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @marsrock7

@dev thanks! I have not had it before but look forward to it.

@t-bone 14-22 cups of deathwish a day? Do you even drink anything else? I am admittedly caffeine dependant but I just cannot drink deathwish.... Hits too fast for me.

I usually stick to lighter roasts for the increased caffeine content and because I find the flavor profiles more versitale when it comes to temperature. Being I work in a physical labor industry in south Texas and don't always have the luxury of air conditioning.... I usually drink my coffee cold for about half the year. Before everyone bashes me for that thou.... At least it is still black. 

I can enjoy any roast when made right. It's not bitterness I try to get away from, high acidity is what bothers me. And just like in most work environments, the coffee on hand has always been on the burner for over an hour, and probably made by somebody that just pours pre-ground beans right out of the container into the basket without bothering to even measure. 

Before my industry got shut down I surprised several of my coworkers with what I was brewing in the corner of the lighting room. Converted a handful... They wouldn't drink anything else available in the building if my coffee pot was going. Hell... They even setup a tip jar for me, which I never asked for or even wanted. Must be ok.... Even if it's just drip coffee at work.

Just water bourbon and beer. What is interesting about my physiology is that when I travel and do not have access to coffee, it really does not bother me at all. Not a big tea fan so I don’t plan B it and I have not had a soda in over 15 years. I picked up the volume habit in the lab. When you are bored waiting for things to incubate, hungry, tired because as a grad student you were poor, free nasty lab coffee was very appealing. I have a coffee confession. My work cup never gets washed, it is properly black stained and revolting to anyone who gazes upon it. I am also a drip guy. I do not have the patients to do any more than scoop pour water and flip a switch. I have a super cheap maker at work that forgoes the autoshutoff feature.  Home is a programmable so when I walk into the kitchen, it’s ready to go. We installed a kinetico water system in the house about 5 years ago with a supped up water filter system to the fridge water. The last coffee pot for home I bought was 5 years ago. Like people say with cars tires are the most important component for a sports car, water good perfect water is the most important for coffee.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 30, 2020 8:37 am
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

My grandfather called decaf "Watery Brown Infinite Sadness". His coffee, booze, and cigarette addiction finally killed him (Granny always said that it would) in a cattle auction barn in Abilene, Texas. He was 107 years old.

I know, it is probably in spite of his vices that he lived so long. My telling, however, is the way I like to see it.

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 30, 2020 4:07 pm
dev, marsrock7, grumpy and 1 people reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
IMG 1428D

My work habit area

IMG 1426D

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 31, 2020 2:02 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I was able to dial in my shot today and got a little heaven in the cup. It takes me awhile to understand the coffee so I can hone in on the favor profile which is a moving target based on the age of the beans as they change from day to day.  It takes the right dose to get the extraction ratios which are divided into three stages to emerge which requires the right brew temps. I also have to have the right grind profile so it extracts with the right amount of resistance. These variables change from day as the beans age but the goal is to find the god shot and then ride it before it kicks you out.  A god shot is a rare occurrence and not many have experienced it but when you get it its on another level.  You are basically trying to find a point where all of these variables intersect as you play 3D chess with your machine.  over the course of eight years I have graduated to a fully manual set up where the learning curve is steep but it keeps me in a ZEN like state trying to catch a fly with chopsticks.  Everyday, every month and every year I come closer to the mastery of making a cup of coffee. 

IMG 0082

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2020 9:07 am
marsrock7 reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Monthly total for miles in August 706!

AUG

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2020 3:33 pm
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

@dev

I got my Blue Mountain yesterday. I had first cup today. Not the best cup of coffee I ever had....That was in Italy. It was the best... by a  good bit, that I ever made at home. 😍 Thanks for sharing where to get it. I owe you for this.

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2020 4:54 pm
marsrock7 and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @grumpy

@dev

I got my Blue Mountain yesterday. I had first cup today. Not the best cup of coffee I ever had....That was in Italy. It was the best... by a  good bit, that I ever made at home. 😍 Thanks for sharing where to get it. I owe you for this.

Happy to hear.  As I mentioned I have tried to find the real stuff since 2014. I had a taste of it with  a mix of Blue Mountain and some other beans.  After that I ordered at great expense to get the single origin beans from Amazon from various vendors which all sucked. I found out that many are not the real deal although from Jamaica they are grown at lower elevation. A friend sent the real stuff about a year ago which was exactly what I was looking for and it messed me up like a heroin addiction.  It makes the tastiest lattes.  If you remember that scene from Breaking Bad. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2020 9:02 pm
Page 19 / 48
Share: