MR2 Spyder Taster F...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

MR2 Spyder Taster Flight

(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Just curious as to what you MR2 Spyder aficionados out there think:

If you could test drive the original 2000, the face lift 2003 and the last 2005 MR2's - all stock, 5-speed trannies - how would they compare in acceleration and handling?

I understand about the tires and the 2005 being slightly higher. I know that Toyota tweaked the car a little over the years, but did their changes actually make the car better or just safer? Or are the differences negligible?

Anyone here driven all three?Β Β 

Topic starter Posted : January 21, 2021 2:58 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

I would absolutely bet that I could not tell the difference. I think that the 2000 with 185/55/15 and 205/45/15s would be faster than the 03 or the 05 with 16" rear wheels. but not by much and driver dependent.

handling would be nuanced, for example my 04 has an LSD which has saved my ass on more than one occasion restoring grip where a I would be spinning like top without it.Β 

I have never driven an 05, own an 04 and have driven -00-02s 1 and 2ZZ would love to try a rotrex or turbo that would be interesting. I could not really tell the difference on the 2zz even north of 7K (but it felt faster πŸ˜‰ )

Β 

This post was modified 3 years ago by T-bone
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 3:50 pm
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

Like T-Bone said, the 2000 has smaller front tires and overall less stagger.Β  I believe it's also lower to the ground.Β  Better steering feel but less max overall grip.Β  Supposedly, it's less rigid than 03+.Β  The 185's on the front is instantly noticeable.Β 

Β 

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 5:53 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

I could be wrong, but I thought 185/55/15 front was the same on all the years?

Also, the 2004 and 2005 had extra bracing - that made no difference in handling ?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 23, 2021 4:56 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @mrsponz

I could be wrong, but I thought 185/55/15 front was the same on all the years?

Also, the 2004 and 2005 had extra bracing - that made no difference in handling ?

correct on the front shoes and the 04 had a better front brace set up. I have a corky's BP and a FSTB on my car and had them so long I really have forgotten what difference they make. The LSD is IMHO the hugest upgrade. Many years ago the Mrs's and I were tooling around the West Virginia mountains and hitting the apex of a very near switch back turn the shock on my face as I saw the dumped gavel all over the road hit me with terror as I new when those rear wheels were going to cross I was going to spin. And I did start to spin the time I had to begin my counter steer combined with a second of taking power down and immediately tapping the power back got me enough grip to drift safely through until I was on clean tarmac again. We still talk about it you just need one wheel to grip 50% better than needing two.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2021 2:36 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

The other thing that always puzzled me was the weight. Across all six years it was listed at 2195 lbs. I always suspected that to be just marketing hype. With the 16" rear wheels/tires and the added bracing, the weight could not have stay at exactly 2195 lbs.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 25, 2021 3:37 pm
T-bone reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

@mrsponz agreed more bracing materials larger wheels and tires would increase the weight of an otherwise identical car.Β 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2021 5:01 pm
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@mrsponzTeh big change in factory bracing was 2003.Β  Additional changes in 2004 in front.Β  This was mainly for frontal crash standards and added roughly 30 lbs weight

Β 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 26, 2021 12:01 pm
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

IIRC leather interior option also added weight.

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2021 2:20 pm
Share: