Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Hobbies

Page 4 / 5
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

There is a mobile pizza trailer on Maui that makes the best pizza I've ever had.  Www.outriggerpizzas.com    It is a wood fired oven,  but the one or two guys making the pies are making a pretty good living,  I would think.   They have fairly standard locations set-up around the island.  Cost of ingredients,  although very high quality,  is relatively inexpensive.  Once the initial investment is covered,  minimal cost and the shopping centers where they park are happy to have them because they attract customers to the shopping centers.  Free rent, living on Maui, low overhead, living on Maui, awesome product, living on Maui, cash business, living on Maui . . . I don't know . . . Sounds pretty amazing to me.  I say, go for it Dev. (hehe)  If you really want to get rich, make your amazing coffee for the tourists in the morning,  scuba and surf during the day and make pizzas in the evening.  Or, there are the amazing mountain roads for Spyder rides.   You could meet up with Frank for some car talk.   Turning a hobby into a job does not work for some people.  I'm one of those people.  But for some folks,  it's the ideal life.  Did I mention the option to live on Maui?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2019 11:50 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

From what I was able to sample from my labor makes me know for sure  Pizza sucks in my state.  I have had really good NY pizza but in my opinion there is something about this style that is the best.  Its like comparing Starbucks coffee to a really good coffee house.  Im sure there is a lot of profitability but all the permits and regulations would just kill the enthusiasm. Its bad enough seeing kids lemonade  stands shut down. 

The ingredients like the flour has to be imported from Italy because it is the only kind that can handle this kind of heat without burning.  Other types of Pizza can be cooked in a conventional  oven but you will not get this kind of result. You might get a crispy crust but its miles away from a soft slightly sour air filled crust.   

My next venture is to try buffalo mozzarella  which is insanely expensive.  My last trick possibly in the fall is to make an apple pie.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2019 1:45 pm
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b
Posted by: @dev
Posted by: @kamlung
Posted by: @dev
Posted by: Patrick Lipp

When you said outdoor pizza oven I was expecting an outside brick behemoth made of brick and concrete..... "should fit in the fronk"

Its called a roccbox .  Here is more information on it. 

https://www.gozney.com/us/products/home-ovens/roccbox/

It was invented by some British guy and can do what a big wood fired brick oven can make.  the best part is it can warm up in less then 30 minutes where as a real brick oven is a whole day process.

This little guy is made to be portable with its folding legs and its built like a tank.   The rolling flame and Pizza stone was engineered to make the perfect Neapolitan  pizza.  It also makes really good steaks and crispy fish better that the Green Egg grill everyone raves about.  

The only thing I will say is, there is a learning curve on both the dough and how to load and manipulate the pizza in the oven but once you figure it out its easy and there are pizza apps that can calculate how to formulate the dough.  The Pizzas it makes is incredible. Maryland has lousy Pizza unlike NY/NJ and now I can get that quality by doing it myself.  

holy crap $700!!! 

i was expecting maybe 200-300... but dangggggg

Oh wow it went up in price by about $100.  

You can actually buy ones for $300 but they just don't compare.  This is one of those things where you cry once and to be honest there isn't major savings of making your own because the ingredients are not cheap but once you start cooking it is better than any barbecue party.   You can literally feed a small army where everyone eats nearly  at the same time once it gets rolling.  With a real wood fired oven its an all day process where this thing is up to temp in about a half hour. 

it might be time to introduce pizza sunday at the house... hmm... it's an investment but i agree with you, as long as it is put to use and not just a novelty sitting in a cabinet, it could become legendary as well... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2019 2:32 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Yes it is a big investment but it will not be one of those appliances you throw away when it breaks.  Its possible that something like this could be handed down or actually go up in value if you decide to sell. The materials that make this oven are premium.  Its also not just for Pizza as I can make some amazing steaks because the flame comes from the top and skillet from the bottom is being heated by the Pizza stone.  

Here is the cool thing, its self cleaning because it gets so hot that everything turns to ashes.  

You will be the coolest person on your block and amongst your friends that that are still rocking a old ass Webber grill.  I found out about it from a friend of a friend who invited me over for pizza and it  blew me away. I thought about it every day and then I was invited back early spring for another round and I was completely sold after downing a few IPAs.

It also cooks fish amazingly well so its not just for Pizzas.  I plan to try stuffed egg plant next.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2019 3:50 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 26, 2019 2:26 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nottamiata

How does it work without "a few IPAs"? 🤡 🤡

Maybe a few less burns.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 26, 2019 5:34 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

Got to do something fun today .... I cut pigs !!  A guy here in town is making a big pig smoker and needed some counter weights for the doors . Hope to at least score some practice baby back ribs ..... YUM !!

[img] [/img]

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 26, 2019 10:34 pm
neomr2 and WilcoMR-S reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Plasma cutter? Waterjet? How thick is the material you were cutting? And is that metal? Wow! That's pretty cool. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2019 12:32 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @uncle-mush

Plasma cutter? Waterjet? How thick is the material you were cutting? And is that metal? Wow! That's pretty cool. 

Oxy fuel cutting torch (natural gas and oxygen) , 2.5" steel plate ......

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2019 9:16 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Here is one of my other Hobbies.  I enjoy espresso machines.

I restored this old Swiss made  1981 Olympia Cremina.  I paid $900 for it on a good deal and its possible that it went on sale for $500 in the 80s.  The reason why its highly sought after is the build quality that is second to none. The Swiss are probably the best manufactures in the world and after stripping the machine and doing a full rebuild  I can see why.  Everything is built like a Swiss time piece with a high level of precision that is hand made. That is why the value of these machines go up as they have achieved cult status.  Supposedly it was built to last four generations and a new one which is still being made costs $4000.    It also makes some incredible espresso but its requires a high level of skill to master. 

I had a lot of work to do and it wasn't easy to remove imbedded gaskets and crusted parts.  It was a labor of love for two weeks of ordering replacement parts. Here is some of my progress.  

IMG 0261

IMG 0260
IMG 0258
IMG 0269
IMG 0270

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2019 5:55 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

The wiring was a real pain because there were signs of burnt wires and switches.  I had to order a new harness and a few new components. 

Fortunately the heating element tested good and there were no shorts. 

IMG 0272
IMG 0273 2
IMG 0262

I need to run a series of boiler tests for leaks and such. Also needed to set  the boilers pressure

IMG 0277

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2019 6:03 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

In the end it all worked out and now the machines is worth about $1500 fully restored. I also had a do quiet a bit of stainless steel restoration as it was badly scratched up.  

093A2494
093A2497
093A2514
093A2542

I had custom wood handles made for my other machine which transferred over. I waited a year for these pieces to be made in Gabon Ebony. The black and brown marble streaks is unreal.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2019 6:10 pm
Erdoc48
(@erdoc48)
Estimable Member

Nice project. Are you refurbishing this for resale or for your own use?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2019 6:39 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@erdoc48

Thats a good question. When I bought the La Pavoni  I thought it was going to be my last espresso machine especially now that I have mastered it. However the La Pavoni is a love hate relationship because its typical Italian build quality where the little things would bug me like leaking gaskets and having to do a partial  rebuild every year and then a full rebuild every two years.  Also when it starts to get scale the pressure stat does weird things.  Temperature management can be a bit of a pain with certain coffees.  

The Cremina on the other hand is built like a tank. Its can go close to 10 years without a rebuild. Just some minor routine servicing of the head.  What makes this machine superior is its  thermal stability which is important if you want to pull consistent shots. Also the steaming power is much better so I can whip up some foamed milk in less than half the time.  Just overall a better experience including clean up. 

This one is a keeper but who knows. I hope it will be with me for a very long time and that Im a good custodian of it for someone else. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2019 6:51 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
IMG 7081

I like dirt

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2019 2:44 pm
Mark G reacted
Page 4 / 5
Share: