Notifications
Clear all

Hobbies

Page 3 / 5
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

O yeah, its here.  Can anyone guess how much a new ones runs these days. 

IMG 0261

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2019 3:54 pm
(@blahpony)

Oh well.

This post was modified 5 years ago 3 times by blahpony
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2019 5:17 pm
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

Cooking, photography, sailing, shooting, reading, bird watching. Not in a long time:  skiing, SCUBA, white water rafting.

BTW Dev, I am all in on the pizza.  What ingredients can I bring to this party?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2019 7:11 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: Not 2 Old For 2 Seater

Cooking, photography, sailing, shooting, reading, bird watching. Not in a long time:  skiing, SCUBA, white water rafting.

BTW Dev, I am all in on the pizza.  What ingredients can I bring to this party?

My speciality right now is perfecting dried salami pizza.  Much better tasting then pepperoni.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 10:29 am
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

Mmmmm that sound good.

While traveling I was always amazed at how many regionally or nationally different sausages were.

Really enjoyed some of the stuff found in the Balkans.

The Irish stuff with corn meal mixed in was good too.

Can't eat bangers and mash in the US anymore after having Colcannon (with bacon or ham) and real Irish sausages.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 12:31 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I made these pies today. Mushrooms, Onions/ hot green peppers and dried salami. I let the dough cold ferment for two days and the crust was airy and slightly sour. Im getting better.  

IMG 0013
IMG 0011
IMG 0010
IMG 0009
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 10:04 pm
WilcoMR-S and Uncle Mush reacted
Refirendum
(@refirendum)
Trusted Member
IMG 20190710 231736 629
IMG 20190527 020913 326
IMG 20190324 190916 596
IMG 20190212 025837 798
IMG 20190105 153106 813
IMG 20181114 192100 333
12095228 525911277584512 903606803911456093 o
12080203 525466120962361 8350480610275840044 o

Hobby: RC Drifting, and in particular, the building and tuning of the chassis and suspension

03 spyder

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2019 8:15 am
WilcoMR-S and chrioboy2 reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

My hobbies are messing with cars, hunting, fishing, and about all aspects of shooting, from developing loads for my firearms,  few competitions and plenty of recreational shooting as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 6:00 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev

I made these pies today. Mushrooms, Onions/ hot green peppers and dried salami. I let the dough cold ferment for two days and the crust was airy and slightly sour. Im getting better.  

IMG 0013
IMG 0011
IMG 0010
IMG 0009

so Dev, can you take your pizza show on the road? making pizza in the Spyder would be killer.

if you build a box over the rear deck and use the heat from the engine, this should work right?

could be a new and adventurous enterprise.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 8:09 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I once tried to warm a burrito, wrapped in foil and placed on an aluminum pie plate that sat atop the large heat shield that is over the exhaust muffler.  I thought it surely had to work to heat up that cold burrito.  Sadly, I was disappointed.  I do remember googling the idea of cooking food in an automobile engine bay and was amazed at the anecdotal reports and photos.  It looked like fun, but didn't work for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2019 12:23 am
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

A grilled cheese sandwich does fairly well if you do not examine it too closely before partaking! I did this by placing the raw material in my hood scoop, foil wrapped (S2000 Honda with an ASM hood). This was in Death Valley in July. I do not think that the results would have been much different if I had placed my cheese delight on top of the hood rather than under it. It was around 125° that day.

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2019 8:36 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @cspidy

IMG 0013
IMG 0011
IMG 0010
IMG 0009

so Dev, can you take your pizza show on the road? making pizza in the Spyder would be killer.

if you build a box over the rear deck and use the heat from the engine, this should work right?

could be a new and adventurous enterprise.

Theoretically you need the heat from the header in lift  where the pipes are glowing red hot and even then I don't think it would be enough. 

To make Neapolitan pizzas you need temps above 1000f  and you would need a stone that is hot enough to absorb moisture and cook from underneath. Getting the leopard spotting on the crust  and the cheese to boil  is just a  few of the features that makes all the difference in timing and you don't have a lot of time.   

There is a way to take it on the road however and that is to park it somewhere  and set up the oven.  I could literally make a fortune setting up a make shift pizza stand and selling each pie at around $15 and I could easily clean up and meet demand  being a one man show.  

A really good Neapolitan pizza tastes different than a  US style pizza in that it has a softer pastry style crust that melts in your mouth. Also the rules for Neapolitan are to make it simple with less toppings so you can taste a balance of flavors.   The whole process is from making the dough to your technique in moving the pie as its being heated quickly is very challenging but once you accidentally nail it, there is no going back to Papa Johns.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2019 9:39 am
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b
Posted by: Patrick Lipp

When you said outdoor pizza oven I was expecting an outside brick behemoth made of brick and concrete..... "should fit in the fronk"

Its called a roccbox .  Here is more information on it. 

https://www.gozney.com/us/products/home-ovens/roccbox/

It was invented by some British guy and can do what a big wood fired brick oven can make.  the best part is it can warm up in less then 30 minutes where as a real brick oven is a whole day process.

This little guy is made to be portable with its folding legs and its built like a tank.   The rolling flame and Pizza stone was engineered to make the perfect Neapolitan  pizza.  It also makes really good steaks and crispy fish better that the Green Egg grill everyone raves about.  

The only thing I will say is, there is a learning curve on both the dough and how to load and manipulate the pizza in the oven but once you figure it out its easy and there are pizza apps that can calculate how to formulate the dough.  The Pizzas it makes is incredible. Maryland has lousy Pizza unlike NY/NJ and now I can get that quality by doing it myself.  

holy crap $700!!! 

i was expecting maybe 200-300... but dangggggg

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2019 9:54 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @kamlung
Posted by: Patrick Lipp

When you said outdoor pizza oven I was expecting an outside brick behemoth made of brick and concrete..... "should fit in the fronk"

Its called a roccbox .  Here is more information on it. 

https://www.gozney.com/us/products/home-ovens/roccbox/

It was invented by some British guy and can do what a big wood fired brick oven can make.  the best part is it can warm up in less then 30 minutes where as a real brick oven is a whole day process.

This little guy is made to be portable with its folding legs and its built like a tank.   The rolling flame and Pizza stone was engineered to make the perfect Neapolitan  pizza.  It also makes really good steaks and crispy fish better that the Green Egg grill everyone raves about.  

The only thing I will say is, there is a learning curve on both the dough and how to load and manipulate the pizza in the oven but once you figure it out its easy and there are pizza apps that can calculate how to formulate the dough.  The Pizzas it makes is incredible. Maryland has lousy Pizza unlike NY/NJ and now I can get that quality by doing it myself.  

holy crap $700!!! 

i was expecting maybe 200-300... but dangggggg

Oh wow it went up in price by about $100.  

You can actually buy ones for $300 but they just don't compare.  This is one of those things where you cry once and to be honest there isn't major savings of making your own because the ingredients are not cheap but once you start cooking it is better than any barbecue party.   You can literally feed a small army where everyone eats nearly  at the same time once it gets rolling.  With a real wood fired oven its an all day process where this thing is up to temp in about a half hour. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2019 10:17 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

There is a mobile pizza trailer on Maui that makes the best pizza I've ever had.  Www.outriggerpizzas.com    It is a wood fired oven,  but the one or two guys making the pies are making a pretty good living,  I would think.   They have fairly standard locations set-up around the island.  Cost of ingredients,  although very high quality,  is relatively inexpensive.  Once the initial investment is covered,  minimal cost and the shopping centers where they park are happy to have them because they attract customers to the shopping centers.  Free rent, living on Maui, low overhead, living on Maui, awesome product, living on Maui, cash business, living on Maui . . . I don't know . . . Sounds pretty amazing to me.  I say, go for it Dev. (hehe)  If you really want to get rich, make your amazing coffee for the tourists in the morning,  scuba and surf during the day and make pizzas in the evening.  Or, there are the amazing mountain roads for Spyder rides.   You could meet up with Frank for some car talk.   Turning a hobby into a job does not work for some people.  I'm one of those people.  But for some folks,  it's the ideal life.  Did I mention the option to live on Maui?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2019 11:49 am
Page 3 / 5
Share: