Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Historic Tags for my Spyder next year.

dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I was doing some searching on when my car would be eligible down the road so I no longer have to get hassled at the emission station and it turns out I qualify.  I was under the impression it was 25 years in the state of Maryland but it turns out its 20 years.   I also found out that 2 year registration once its registered as historic is only $50 and when you add the savings from no more emission testing fees its the icing on the cake for substantial savings.  I also read that if the car is registered as historic some insurance companies have lower rates as well.  The only drawback is the car cannot be used as regular transportation which it is not and there is no way of checking anyway.   

Imagine that our Spyders are now going to be sporting historic tags.    It makes ownership so much cheaper and some people think my car is a newer model they never seen before.  The hassle I get from the emission station is my car gets flagged because of the 2ZZ ECU and has to be inspected to make sure its a Toyota. I asked them why it has to be inspected and they said it doesn't look like a Toyota. I bet the previous generations never had this problem.   

Topic starter Posted : November 18, 2019 1:02 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

LOL, "it doesn't look like a Toyota."

So ask them "OK, can you explain what a Toyota DOES look like?"

Then show them a picture of a MK1 and watch them have a small crisis. Finally, you can ease their suffering by showing them the wikipedia article. Once you've fixed their cognitive dissonance, they will want to help you. Such a nice young man...

Duh, why would someone who is supposed to know better even have that job? No, never mind, the answer to that question is probably not forum-appropriate. Sigh.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2019 1:55 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

In fairness it is possible that if the car was bone stock it probably would not have been questioned. Our cars have aged well but they still look dated.  My car has gone beyond its stock and no longer looks like a budgeted aging import.  I get this all the time when I'm on the road and even the most astute enthusiast does a double take.  The best thing about it is that it doesn't have a goofy body kit and it still has the semblance of the Spyder. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 18, 2019 2:14 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

PA has a Classic plate that starts at 15 years but still requires inspection, but with limited milage less than 5000 no emissions. I have had mine registered Classic for the last 4 years. Insurance is $204/ year. Next level is antique at 25 years. No inspection required. Both are one time registrations. The key with antique is it requires Classic insurance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2019 10:17 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

15 years seems like its a bit early considering many are keeping regular passenger cars longer.  Apparently the whole historic tag thing was being abused in Maryland so they laid down conditions of not having it primarily used for transportation and mostly used for clubs and exhibitions.   It would seem that the vintage collectors are getting upset that a 90s beat up Civic can get the same designation.  

They did initially tried to have a provision for having the car inspected but thankfully its been removed.  

I remember it was almost laughable if you kept a car for more than five years but now the model years are blurring with such bad designs that it makes the older cars less dated.  I would say everything post 2008 is not a big improvement in design and the most interesting thing about our day and age is nobody cares unless you are driving a Farrari  because cars are now appliances. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 19, 2019 10:48 am
WilcoMR-S reacted
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

"because cars are now appliances" yes but do they identify as appliances? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2019 7:24 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Cars have always been appliances.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2019 8:30 pm
Share: