Share:
Notifications
Clear all

COP Cover

ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

COP got me. I use the Lotus 2zz coil-over-plug cover. 2 things. First thing, my car got a mysterious hesitation while motoring on the highway. When it finally threw a CEL, I determined that cylinder 1 coil was failing when hot. When I pulled the COP I had about a tablespoon of water in the port (not in motor, just in port). This was because I washed my motor after cleaning CV boot juice earlier. I'm a little bummed that water was able to get below the cover. But figure spraying the motor isn't normal water exposure and I’d have to be more careful. 
Second thing is using that Lotus cover requires hex spacers below the cover no bolts (see pic). The cylinder 1 spacer is right against the coil wire (cylinder 3 is not up against the wires, but very close). Originally I cut an inner tube from a bicycle and put it in between the hex and wires to limit the amount of abrasion and to keep the contact from rubbing through the wire. While that worked I think there has  got to be another way to provide a little bit more space and assure abrasion will not eventually cause a failure. I'm assuming this hex-wire proximity is a common issue with these motors. What have others done to secure the cover and protect the wires?

20190721 102818

This topic was modified 5 years ago by ISpy
Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2019 12:11 am
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b

with 3-d printers now i wonder if i someone can custom make one for our MR2... just not sure how durable against the heat... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 10:58 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

It is possible that the cover did not make a good enough seal on the edges. Mine has performed well without needing anything to protect the wires. 

Having water enter the spark plug well does an interesting thing to create a misfire. It actually cools the spark plug and gives you the same effect as using colder plugs. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 11:15 am
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

@kamlung

I believe our boy Dev had started the process of developing a Lotus-like cover back in the 2008 Jurassic period, not sure what happened to that. Regardless, the 2zz was installed in the Lotus and when you buy the cover from Lotus the hex and star bolts are OE for that install. (The hex keeps one from cracking the lid and is fit and finish.) For what I can see, that angular hex nut hits the wires no matter what car it is installed in. Not good.

My current path is skip the sharp hex and go with longer round torx style bolts (6M x 4 cm roughly 1.5 inches). Then take 1/4 inch copper tubing cut a 1 inch piece, wrap it in Tessa tape (doesn’t conduct heat to wires) and put together. Or create a ‘C’ shaped bracket to go around the wires but still provide support. The bracket is more of a pain and then you still have the bolts that might touch the wires as they poke through. So unless there is a better idea or solution, I’ll go with the bolt tubing tape idea.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2019 11:16 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Negotiations to make the 2ZZ cover went south.  The people that made the 1ZZ covers realized they were selling well and decided to demand more so I killed the deal. 

I was going to get the Toms braces made also but the guy I partnered with to get them made in China realized how much profit would be made when I gave him the numbers so he went rouge and said I would be one of many vendors.  I killed that deal and he soon realized that I hold all the cards but by that time it was already too late and I didn't want to deal with someone that would back stab me.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 2:27 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

phats made a cover out of, I believe, aluminum. He/we bent it to "fit", then he used double sided tape to hold it in place. I didn't like the effort required to remove the cover when changing/checking plugs. I bought 2 of the "posts" used on the 1zz plastic head cover("back", left corner). If my memory isn't too cloudy, I had to trim the threaded part that screws into the cylinder head cover(Toyota's name for cam/valve cover, so I use it). I drilled 2 holes in the metal cover and bought 2 acorn nuts to secure the cover. I also applied a "home made, weather stripping gasket" to the bottom of the cover, to seal it to the head cover. Works like a charm. My Spyder is an outside vehicle, rarely spending time in a garage, so it has almost total, 4 season exposure to the weather for over 4 years.

I don't think you need to worry about wire wear/heat. I've done nothing, and it's been 3+ years since I've owned the car, with no apparent problems. But  if you need something to do, go for it! I know I love tinkering 😀 

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 3:34 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

The Lotus cover is fine.

The issue is that the cover uses two bolts.

Those bolts screw into these long hex shaped nuts or threaded spacers. These 3/4” long threaded spacers attach on the other side to the studs that are in the valve cover (see cylinder 3 in photo). These hex nuts/ spacers are pressed against cyl 1 coil wires. I don’t like this and I see eventual failure from this abrasion. The hex nut/ spacer is side view at cyl 1 in photo attached to the magnetized tool and then the other one is attached to valve cover stud in cyl 3. To clarify, see how close cyl 3 nut is? Cyl 1 nut/ spacer was pressed into the cyl 1 wires when it is installed.

I got longer 45 mm bolts, cut copper tubing as a washer / spacer, wrapped the wires and this tubing spacer is Tesa tape, put Tesa tape as a abrasion gasket for the valve cover-Lotus connection (previously chipped the red valve paint), and put it back together.

Later I’ll be ISO a replacement 2zz valve cover so I can repaint this one.  My scratch touch up went wrong. Should have used a brush.  I think I didn’t tighten Lotus cover down enough and simple vibration caused it to sand the contact points on the painted valve cover.  Perhaps being loose also allowed and water to enter.  As far as tinkering, yes it’s entertaining. But that coil failure in the heat 50 miles from home with the top down setting a blistering pace... That simply pissed me off.

Thanks for input. 

This post was modified 5 years ago by ISpy
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2019 6:42 pm
(@chrioboy2)
Trusted Member

For a minute I thought you got busted

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 6:46 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Mine uses 2 acorn nuts, but I place a washer/o-ring between the nut and the cover, + the weather stripping/gasket under the cover. I've never "water washed" the engine compartment, and I think very little rain water/melted snow gets directly on the cover, so I don't think I'll have the wet plug hole problem 🤔 🍺 🍺 

Enjoy!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 3:01 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @chrioboy2

For a minute I thought you got busted

+1...had me fooled too, this being in the "General" forum. I didn't think it was for an engine problem, but glad it wasn't for a LEO visit!

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 3:04 pm
Share: