Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Antidotal observation

Page 1 / 2
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

I saw a scion Xb today on a 50% less trafficked road. As my dusty old neurons recalled the make and model, my logic circuits responded - It's been years since you have seen one of those. I ask myself why that is?

I am floored by the number of ubiquitous Pontiac grand am's and saturns of all flavors I see every day. The scion, the toyota in the disguise, I would think there would still be many of these on the road still compared to the lower quality GM cars where the marque has been extinguished. 

Is it my area? (do you see Scion's regularly) Were all the drivers really bad and they are all wrecked? Were they mechanically crap? I am really puzzled by this given I am pretty observant and I would say I see a scion of any kind every few months where in say 2008 they were everywhere (like KIAs are today - at least here and in my driveway) 

Does anyone here find scions becoming a rarely seen old car?

This topic was modified 4 years ago by T-bone
Topic starter Posted : April 14, 2020 11:21 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Plenty of Scions still on the road in my area. Not too many xB thou. xD and tC are most common, and they blend in much better.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2020 11:43 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

We still have our 06 "Box".

200K miles. Transmission is getting cranky, have not started to diagnose. Nobody drives it much.

Structurally sound, but the interior is on the cheap/flimsy side. Better than cheap American, but not the full T quality.

They built the right car for the target, but IMO, the target audience was a bit poorly-chosen. This happened right around the time that cars started costing about 1/3 of a small brick ranch home. That audience STILL couldn't afford a car, but Mr. T tried...

I like the Box as a micro-van. Surprisingly fun in its own way when the suspension is not shot. Ours is really rather neglected. The Frog kinda siphoned off the maintenance fund, along with the xB becoming a family secondary. Its been very inexpensive to own, would buy again in the same circumstances.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2020 11:52 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Scion was a failure.  Initially it did great and ushered in a large community of people into car forum culture so in some ways it was successful. Toyota was trying to capitalize on the Civic appeal and to get new drivers in the fold so they would graduate to Toyota and Lexus. Unfortunately their build quality wasn't all that great compared to a Toyota and people realized this. They were fairly reliable but the build quality just wasn't there.

What eventually has taken them out is social media like Facebook and the generation below them that were not interested in cars. The people that bought Scions graduated out of them to other luxury brands not necessarily Toyota/Lexus.  I do continue to do well with them as far as my products go as that is where most of my sales come from. They tend to be a good group of folks across multiple platforms that are understanding as I receive the least amount of complaints from them and they give me free advertising recommendations so I don have to pay vendor fees.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2020 11:56 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

Just bought a 06 xb a couple months ago for my winter vehicle . It's nice to have some space to haul car parts for a change . It's a fun little buggy . There's a couple in the area that are taxi cabs .

[img] [/img]

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2020 12:16 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I haven't watched for Scions to really notice a decline in them verses other vehicles on the road from those same years.  That said, I'm pretty sure I still see them, but will now (on the rare occasions when I leave the house) will see if I can take more note of Scions on the road.  It would be interesting to know if there is a disproportionate difference between Scions and other vehicles on the road for the same years.  I really only tend to watch for MR2 Spyders and Prius Vs since those are vehicles I own and thoroughly enjoy.  The Corolla and Tacoma I own -- not so much.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2020 2:21 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@uncle-mush,

Put the smallest wheels and tires you can fit on that Corolla and come back and tell us what you think.

It will still be a Corolla, but you might see it a bit differently.

I swear my 05 Corolla automatic would beat The Frog in the 1/4 mile, even with rare perfect shifting by Frog Dad. Maybe that's subjective and not actually true (no hard data), but it sure seems like it, and it's pretty disappointing. Also rather hard to believe, I know... but you might be able to understand why I haven't tested it. I suppose I could use DashCommand, but I dont think I want to know!

The xB, on the other hand, can be outrun by an opossum. HP is somewhere like 96, IIRC. Mine has oversize wheels too; 16" vs the stock 15". Ouch. But then, I do have some 15" rims, but they need a little work. Dont care enough, and those might go on The Frog for a cheap torque upgrade. That will be what, about 4500 RPMs at 70 mph? LOL, I don't think so, as much as I want the extra in the low gears, I can't go there. Yet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2020 3:01 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @nottamiata

@uncle-mush,

Put the smallest wheels and tires you can fit on that Corolla and come back and tell us what you think.

I appreciate the suggestion, but for me, the Corolla is just my commuter car.  When I bought it, I didn't want to invest the extra money for another Prius to get better gas mileage, I just needed something to get me to and from work and wanted a back-up camera to make parking/un-parking an easier/safer task for me (neck and back stiffness of old age).  The Corolla has a cadre of special features -- most of which I don't know about and the ones that I sort of know about, I haven't taken the time to read-up and educate myself about.  It's got plenty of zip to it, is comfortable and is pleasantly fulfilling its role.  There are thousands of them in my community, I just don't pay attention to them the way I do the Spyder or Prius V. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2020 3:30 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @dev

Scion was a failure.  Initially it did great and ushered in a large community of people into car forum culture so in some ways it was successful. Toyota was trying to capitalize on the Civic appeal and to get new drivers in the fold so they would graduate to Toyota and Lexus. Unfortunately their build quality wasn't all that great compared to a Toyota and people realized this. They were fairly reliable but the build quality just wasn't there.

What eventually has taken them out is social media like Facebook and the generation below them that were not interested in cars. The people that bought Scions graduated out of them to other luxury brands not necessarily Toyota/Lexus.  I do continue to do well with them as far as my products go as that is where most of my sales come from. They tend to be a good group of folks across multiple platforms that are understanding as I receive the least amount of complaints from them and they give me free advertising recommendations so I don have to pay vendor fees.

Another thing is that although their initial models were targeted toward the younger generation at the time, many older people flocked to the xB, it was easy to get in and out of, ample cargo room for its size, and easy to drive. 

I see a decent amount of xBs and tCs in my area and there's a couple of FRS. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2020 7:26 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nocoolname
Posted by: @dev

Another thing is that although their initial models were targeted toward the younger generation at the time, many older people flocked to the xB, it was easy to get in and out of, ample cargo room for its size, and easy to drive. 

I see a decent amount of xBs and tCs in my area and there's a couple of FRS. 

You are right. There were many older men that owned xBs and I had the pleasure of working with a few when I was making products for them.  The TCs were an interesting bunch.  There were  a lot of Father Daughter owners which was an interesting dynamic.  Someone should do a study on the demographics with that group because it was not what Toyota probably had in mind.  One thing I couldn’t stand was the internet companies that purchased all of the forums and then they decided I should pay a ridiculous amount over what I was originally charged for fees but since my name was popular they kept recommending me though the forum. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2020 8:51 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @uncle-mush
Posted by: @nottamiata

@uncle-mush,

I appreciate the suggestion, but for me, the Corolla is just my commuter car.  When I bought it, I didn't want to invest the extra money for another Prius to get better gas mileage, I just needed something to get me to and from work and wanted a back-up camera to make parking/un-parking an easier/safer task for me (neck and back stiffness of old age).  The Corolla has a cadre of special features -- most of which I don't know about and the ones that I sort of know about, I haven't taken the time to read-up and educate myself about.  It's got plenty of zip to it, is comfortable and is pleasantly fulfilling its role.  There are thousands of them in my community, I just don't pay attention to them the way I do the Spyder or Prius V. 

UM, it wasn't a serious suggestion.

I put 185/55 on mine, to use up two of those firestone A/S mistakes from last spring. It handles really well (for what it is), but the speedo is off by about 8%.

Also, it looks a bit ridiculous, since no lowering was done. So you really would "see it differently", ha, generally while shaking your head like I do. But my kids only needed to buy two tires, so they don't care that much.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2020 7:02 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

In my neck of the woods, there are about 8 xBs running around. Have seen all of them for years. There is even another Release Series 4.0, with the Burnt Penny (brown/green/yellow) finish. Nice color, if you take care of it. You have to see it in person. But fairly rare, so its really disorienting to walk out of a store and find that your key does not open "your" car. You get very used to having a nearly unique color.

So yeah, I still a few xBs around here. And a few FRSs, but not many tC. They do just sort of blend in, compared to the xB or FRS.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2020 7:11 am
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I see them all the time around here.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2020 10:08 am
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

In the LA area the xB is becoming rare to see.  The xA and the tC is even more rare.

But you know what I almost never see anymore?  Acura Integras and RSXs.

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2020 2:24 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Maybe the people that can afford an XB can’t afford to live in SoCal 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2020 12:17 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: