Share:
Notifications
Clear all

A silly FI idea (because it's that kind of day)

Page 2 / 2
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

NM, have you watched Adam Savage's "new" show, Savage Builds? He built a big "wheel of death". It didn't work because he dumped the rotation to "the drive", and it rolled a few feet. Your "idea" could work, as far as keeping rotation going to the flywheel, but the size required for the flywheel...

Now, get to work 😛 😜Β 

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 4:26 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2019 4:52 pm
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

I have said it before, but I will say it again: in the future, there will be a great demand for our Spyders.Β  Why?

IMHO, with electric motors and the right size and weight battery (maybe a smaller battery for now for just around town use...then a more powerful battery when improvements in battery technology allow), I can see our Spyders being serious "Pocket Rockets!"

BTW, think my idea is all wet? There already is a company putting 275 HP electric motors and batteries into vintage Triumph Spitfire sports cars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 12:52 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 23, 2019 1:23 pm
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

Don't know about kit availability now.Β  But, I predict, when kit becomes available, our light two seater sports cars will at least double in value.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 1:40 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

There is kind of a kit that is made for the mk2 that can be adapted for our Spyders. Β Its at least eight years old so its out dated in terms of technology improvements.Β 

There is a much easier way to do this and that is to take a Nissan Leaf power unit Β and just swap it in. It looks very similar to a 4 cylinder motor that only needs the right mounts and hubs. Β 

The only challenge would be placement of the batteries but its very possible and much better than someones monstrosity Β DIY with wires all over the place just waiting for an accident to happen.Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 1:46 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

If you want some napkin math to start down the rabbit hole, you can figure out the CFM of air needed for an engine by multiplying displacement in cubic inches by RPM and then dividing my 3456 (1728 CI in a CF, but a 4 cycle engine takes two revolutions, so you would multiply 1728 by 2.Β  For a 2 cycle engine you could divide by 1728).Β  Then take that number and multiply by the volumetric efficiency of the engine.

That gets you air consumption at atmospheric pressure, when adding pressure (boost) it'll take more.Β  There's also the need to close off the normal intake inlet when shooting the pressurized air in, or else you will lose quite a bit from the air taking the path of least resistance and flowing out the air filter.Β  That could be easily done though with a butterfly valve in the intake tract.

Those are just my random thoughts on it.Β  I didn't mean to rain on your parade, but both sides of daydreaming things like this are fun for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 6:46 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 24, 2019 7:23 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: