Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Best quick/short shift kit

Page 1 / 2
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

Hi All,

New here and still finding things, hope this is the right sub-forum to post this in.

I'm curious, I see the MWR shifter kit online for approx 80 bucks plus the Speed Source bushings I see so much about in the various forum threads over the years.

I see what appears to be the identical kit on Amazon for 40-60 bucks.

Also, I see the "C's short stroke" kit on Supper-Klasse for 160 with what appear to be solid bushings.

Anywhere I've seen mention of the elusive TRD kit it has big numbers attached, even though I've yet to see one actually available for sale.

SO - What's the consensus? Any value to the "C's" kit, or MWR kit over the 40-60 buck Amazon version?

If "C's" kit is any better quality than the MWR/Amazon models, should I still put money into the Speed Source bushings?

Is the TRD kit actually 500 dollars better than all the rest, or only for the TRD fetishists?

Thanks 

Topic starter Posted : May 27, 2020 2:25 pm
Topic Tags
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Thats a good question.  It depends on who you ask.  The one that MWR sells as well as Amazon and EBay is a Chinese copy of the B&M shifter.  I like it and you can get it very cheap on EBay for the same thing. 

Many like the TRD shifter. I don't because I think the throws are too long, I prefer a short shifter to have the least amount of throw. 

The C shifter looks too high in my opinion. Im sure it shifts fine.  I say give the cheap EBay a chance since its so cheap you can allways cut your losses if you don't like it and move on to the more expensive shifters.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2020 3:12 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

The TRD QSK is by far the best one in my experience. Love it on every car I've driven. Is it worth $500? I really don't think so.

C's replica is pretty good too, not as good but still pleasant to drive. I do like it.

I've driven a car with an MWR shifter and it was near unusable, really stiff and hard to find the gears. The guy ended up getting rid of it. I'd rather stay stock in that case. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by haloruler64

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2020 4:56 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I am still rocking the stock shifter, with bearings on the shift cable to linkage in the engine bay, and solid shifter base bushings in the cabin. The throws are still fairly long but the shifts are precise. I have a C's replica short shifter, but it is the first generation which doesn't have the double bend. Haven't installed because I haven't had time to put the second bend in. With the single bend, it was obviously designed for a RHD car. 

When I was searching for an MR2 to buy I test drove one with the B&M or replica short shifter. It was way too short, terribly notchy and really hard to tell where the gears were. Absolutely did not like it. I want short throws but the shift knob still needs to be easily within reach to me. I think this second generation of C's replica with the double bend like the TRD has a high likelyhood of doing just that. Kinda wish I had waited instead of jumping on round one. Then again... Who'd have thought SK would manufacture a whole set of product without actually trying a prototype in the car? I sure didn't....

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2020 5:37 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Welcome to SK and companies like SK. It's something we should all expect these days. 

But yeah bearings on the trans side and solid bushings on the cage side are super important too!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2020 6:08 pm
marsrock7 reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @marsrock7

I am still rocking the stock shifter, with bearings on the shift cable to linkage in the engine bay, and solid shifter base bushings in the cabin. The throws are still fairly long but the shifts are precise. I have a C's replica short shifter, but it is the first generation which doesn't have the double bend. Haven't installed because I haven't had time to put the second bend in. With the single bend, it was obviously designed for a RHD car. 

When I was searching for an MR2 to buy I test drove one with the B&M or replica short shifter. It was way too short, terribly notchy and really hard to tell where the gears were. Absolutely did not like it. I want short throws but the shift knob still needs to be easily within reach to me. I think this second generation of C's replica with the double bend like the TRD has a high likelyhood of doing just that. Kinda wish I had waited instead of jumping on round one. Then again... Who'd have thought SK would manufacture a whole set of product without actually trying a prototype in the car? I sure didn't....

I sure would not have thought anyone would do that. That is why they have my money and I still have their product in a box. Now that I have three Spyders though........

I lucked out and was able to find a kind person to sell me a TRD shifter. I love it! Since then I bought one more. Not a "short" shifter, but really slick! Love it!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2020 6:10 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@dev

Thanks, solid reasoning there 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 28, 2020 1:08 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@haloruler64

Thanks for your reply, were the supplied bushings in the C kit similar to the Speed Source bushings?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 28, 2020 1:13 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@marsrock7

Hi and thanks for your reply, I'd definitely like to balance short throw well against smooth action. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 28, 2020 1:16 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@desertwanderer

Any suggestions for good TRD QSK hunting grounds? I assume one might get luck on ebay someday...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 28, 2020 1:17 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @scrmnchkn

@desertwanderer

Any suggestions for good TRD QSK hunting grounds? I assume one might get luck on ebay someday...

If you want to save a bunch of money there is a way to make your stock shifter like the TRD. 

I will try and find the post again but it would seem someone was clever enough  to use a pipe, vice and a hammer to replicate the TRD shifter.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 1:22 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@dev

The plot thickens! This sounds fun and intriguing.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 28, 2020 1:25 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Go to post 189 on this thread. I do not know first hand that it does work but since its being used on a stock shifter that you would probably never use if you upgrade I would say its worth the trouble if it can save you $400. 

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=54916.175

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 1:47 pm
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

The shifter kits usually have solid bushings in the shifter mounts, but there is also a big advantage to replacing the rubber bushings in the shifter ends (transmission side).  There are many solid bushings available, but I went with the skateboard ball-bearings.  You can find them shielded or sealed for just a few bucks on Ebay.  To me they are perfect; no play and no friction, but you do want to use enough washers as shims to take up all of the axial clearance.  I am using the original version of the C's replica and find it perfect for my KSwap.

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 2:14 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@scrmnchkn I got both of my TRD QSK's from members here. I now have another Spyder so I am looking as well.

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 3:58 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: