Clear all

Best quick/short shift kit

Page 2 / 2
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member
Posted by: @scrmnchkn

@haloruler64

Thanks for your reply, were the supplied bushings in the C kit similar to the Speed Source bushings?

I'm unsure, I don't own one. Someone local does though.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 6:37 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

@haloruler64

Thanks for your reply, were the supplied bushings in the C kit similar to the Speed Source bushings?

I'm unsure, I don't own one. Someone local does though.

The shifter base bushings supplied in the C's kit appeared to be 3D printed. They are solid plastic, and slightly taller than the originals as well which I believe is an adjustment for clearance on the bottom side for the C's shifter.

I've installed the bushings but not the shifter. Still want to get that second bend in before putting the shifter in.

Edit:

@dev

So that guy literally just hammered the crap out of the fulcrum ball until it shifted northward a solid half inch or so... That is awesome... And sounds way easier than putting a second bend (that should be present anyway) into my C's replica. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 11:29 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@desertwanderer

3, Count-em 3!? That's dedication!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 29, 2020 12:24 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@dblotii

Thanks, I did end up starting at the bushings with this kit from ebay:

ebay bushings kit

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 29, 2020 12:27 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

@dblotii

Thanks, I did end up starting at the bushings with this kit from ebay:

ebay bushings kit

You don't want those .... those will put a bind on the cables . You want a spherical bearing !!!

https://frankensteinmotorworks.squarespace.com/mr2-spyder-shop/spherical-bearing-shift-cable-end

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 29, 2020 1:05 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Phats is actually correct. The cable doesn't spin, so spinning bearings are worthless. You need them to pivot around the center. You can get cheap bearings from AliExpress and press them in... but good luck removing them when they wear out or rust. FMW bearings are the best option, I never tried them myself but they look the most legit. 

I went from stock to solid SpeedSource bushings to spherical bearings. The bearings are by far the best.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 29, 2020 3:24 pm
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@haloruler64I am not arguing that the spherical bearings are best but; the ball-bearing work great on both my Toyota and now my Kswap Honda.  No binding.  they do rotate

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2020 11:34 am
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@dblotii

Thanks all, I went ahead and ordered the FMW kit, guess I'll eat the cost on the first set since they were only like 20 bucks. Appreciate the heads up!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 30, 2020 1:25 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member
Posted by: @dblotii

@haloruler64I am not arguing that the spherical bearings are best but; the ball-bearing work great on both my Toyota and now my Kswap Honda.  No binding.  they do rotate

Oh sure they still feel good. Not trying to say they're bad, or make no difference. But spherical is like.. second upgrade. Not in crispness but in ease and smoothness/

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2020 5:16 pm
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

I might try the 'post 189' shifter mod. the MWR shifter is indeed a bit on the 'barely usable' side. Thanks Dev for the tip!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2020 4:08 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

The TRD quick shift kit is truly amazing and really how the car should have come.  It is not just a metal shaft, it comes with an entire new cage and solid washers, plus a tiny ball shift knob (that I replaced with a true taller TRD shift knob).  While it's not super short like some other ones, it's very precise.  It's probably super rare these days to find one new in the wild.  So I have no idea how much these are.  I think I paid like $150 for mine way back when they were a normal part.

Good luck on your quest.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2020 9:15 am
haloruler64 reacted
 p0on
(@p0on)

I'm still crossing my fingers that we get the SK TRD+C's kit available soon 🙂

What's the best place to get the spherical bearings?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 9, 2020 6:00 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@p0on Mine just came in today.

https://frankensteinmotorworks.squarespace.com/shop/spherical-bearing-shift-cable-end-jd7j6

As recommended by Phats above!

This post was modified 4 years ago by DesertWanderer

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 9, 2020 6:39 pm
 p0on
(@p0on)

Thanks Phats and desertwanderer!

Ordered mine as well 🙂

Haven't been able to find and reviews with pics of this unit or dedicated threads. Feels like a treasure find!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 9, 2020 11:29 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: