Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Added a Powered Subwoofer - much better!

Lostpilot28
(@lostpilot28)

Mods, please move this if it's not in the right sub-forum.

I'm getting ready to drive my Spyder 7 hours to a regional autocross event and needed better audio for the long drive.  I used to trailer the Spyder to distant events like this, but I'm doing this trip alone, so I figured I'd just drive it.  Anyway, my head-unit is a Pioneer MEX x4100BT, with stock door speakers (which aren't bad, actually).  The problem is overcoming the road/wind/engine noise to get a nice quality sound.  I had asked in the "other" Spyder forum about adding speakers or a sub and finally decided to pull the trigger.

Actually, I did add 2 more speakers to the cubby doors, but it didn't sound good...so I removed those and bought new doors (live and learn I guess). 

For $95 on Amazon, I bought an off brand 600W powered 8" sub and wired it up.  I mounted it vertically behind the passenger seat.  It really fills out the sound nicely and takes the overall sound quality up several notches.  Driving with the top down at 60 mph it still sounds great.  Top up at 85 and it sounds great.  No more tinny/empty/hollow sound. 

The only downside is adding 12 lbs back to my racecar.  😉

2003 MR2 Spyder
SCCA STR class build
Camcon tune, full exhaust, CAI
Ceiko coilovers (8k / 10k)
15x9 wheels, BFG Rival S 1.5's
Corbeau Race seats
2,120 lbs ready to race

Topic starter Posted : July 28, 2019 8:19 am
WilcoMR-S reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

Share the link?

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2019 4:52 pm
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

In my old car I looked at the Kicker one on crutchfield because it takes up relatively little space.

I can imagine it would sound much better with a  hardtop.

Is it possible to make quick disconnects for it so you can pull it out once you get to auto-x?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2019 7:35 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

My little 8" subwoofer can be quickly disconnected.  Just two RCAs and one molex plug.   I have a good sound system that could possibly win a sound quality competition at one point but its now drowned out by the exhaust which sounds great degrading my high resolution 24 bit audio source.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2019 10:41 am
WilcoMR-S reacted
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

Installed Kicker Hideaway underseat sub last year which I mated to my Pioneer 2700BT double din, Alpine KTP-445 amp, and Infinity Kappa speakers. Not Dev audiophile level, but decent. Enough to drown out work that still needs to be done (front LCA bushings) along with passenger objections. The Kicker adds a reasonable punch, more mid to lower bass than thumper deep bass. Perfect for 70s rock where they actually play instruments and have multi syllable lyrics.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2019 3:45 pm
Share: