Clear all

[Sticky] How-To perform an Oil change

Page 1 / 2
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
  • 1) Find level place (garage) drive car in onto ramps
  • 2) Place jack under rear motor mount (visualize at top of car) jack car
  • 3) Place jack stands on each side of car on the ridge using lift point diagram.
  • 4) Remove fill cap on engine head place in a clean safe location.
  • 5) Get under car and remove front diaper (7 blots 2 popits). Put 2 back blots back into the rear front to keep from hanging. You can put the diaper up over your head under the car.
  • 6) Place drain bin under oil pan and remove drain plug allow oil to drain.
  • 7) When drained, remove oil filter keeping mind it is full of oil keep level then tip in the pan. (may need oil filter wrench adapter if too tight)
  • 8) Take a quick brake from under the car pour waste oil in safe container put new gasket into fill plug, for densco filer pull off plastic covering of the O-ring coat with 9) oil and fill filter about ¾ full. Return to bottom of the car.
  • 10) Replace drain plug with new gasket care tighten (but not too much)
  • 11) Carefully line up filter and screw into place again do not over tighten maybe a little turn with wrench but mostly hand tight
  • 12) Double check that you have done 10 and 11
  • 13) Check  12 again
  • 14) Replace diaper if you desire remember that 2 bolts are in the car (popits suck)
  • 15) add oil to car (almost 4qt) using funnel.
  • 16) Level car by lowering to ground. Measure oil making sure its full not too full or under full. Take your time.
  • 17) Start car make sure oil light goes off, record mileage.
    IMG 0141
    IMG 0144
    IMG 0145

Topic starter Posted : October 29, 2019 11:12 am
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
IMG 0146
IMG 0159
IMG 0158
IMG 0157
IMG 0156
IMG 0155
IMG 0154
IMG 0153
IMG 0152
IMG 0151
IMG 0150
IMG 0149
IMG 0148
IMG 0147

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 29, 2019 11:13 am
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

oil filter application chart

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 29, 2019 11:14 am
Patrick Lipp and CSPIDY reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Thanks,  T-bone for taking the time to document and take and post photos. 

I might add to step 7, after removing the old oil filter, check to make certain the old gasket came off with the old oil filter and that it is not stuck to the engine.  I forgot to check once and missed seeing the old gasket on the engine.  The result was a horrible mess of fresh oil sprayed everywhere because the new oil filter couldn't seat with two gaskets between the oil filter and the engine. 

Thanks again for the write-up as we build the library of information others will be seeking. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2019 12:28 pm
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

Thank you T! I went ahead and made this a sticky! Good resource to have, no-matter how remedial of a task it may seem. Also updated the title to make it more obvious. lol

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 31, 2019 11:51 am
T-bone reacted
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

My advice is to fill the new filter with oil before installing.  This saves the engine a few extra seconds of running with no oil pressure while the air trapped in the empty filter would be pumped through all of the oil passages and bearings.  Be kind to your bearings.

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2019 12:56 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @dblotii

My advice is to fill the new filter with oil before installing.  This saves the engine a few extra seconds of running with no oil pressure while the air trapped in the empty filter would be pumped through all of the oil passages and bearings.  Be kind to your bearings.

Dave

Yep . . . That's exactly what T-Bone suggested in Step 9 of his tutorial.  Great minds think alike.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2019 10:16 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I like to fill my oil filters 3 or more times before installing. Fill it once and watch the oil soak into the filter media, fill again, etc. On the ZZ engines the filter mounting is vertical so no concerns about spilling oil out of the filter if there is any not soaked up by filter media. Other engines, like the Honda K series, are horizontal mount so one wouldn't want liquid oil not soaked into the filter. I have been filling my OEM Honda filters 3x before installing, the media soaks up all that oil and there is no spillage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2019 10:50 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@marsrock7

I always thought I was the only one who was paranoid enough to do this. Cool! I feel more normal already!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2019 12:13 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@desertwanderer

Not so sure you should base your perception of normality off of me 🤨 There must be dozens of us thou...

If nothing else, seeing how much oil you can cram into the filter is something to do while waiting for the old oil to drain.

Also, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, to get the most of the old oil out of your car, oil changes should be done with the engine warm, not cold. For most oils cold means higher viscosity.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2019 1:28 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

As far as I know filling the filter with oil is a common practice with many DIYs for as long as I remember. The only people I have come across that didn't know are first time oil changers that I have taught how to fish. 

It is a good practice no doubt but I no longer fill the oil filter all the way to the top because it can be a messy experience if the heavy filter topples over depending on the application.  Its usually just half way filled. 

Now Im going to play devils advocate and say it doesn't matter as much as one would think compared to other choices you make for your engine. 

More vehicles are serviced without this practice from quick oil lube chains, gas stations and dealerships and they do not suffer from the ill effects of not filling the oil filter or not fully getting all of the oil out.  There are many ways a car dies or the engine gives up but I highly doubt it can be traced back to the good filter habit or the oil filter habit can make one engine last thousands of miles longer.   

The best way to take care of your car is to make good choices in its maintenance schedules and fluid choices. More damage is done to cars this way as most non enthusiasts tend to neglect their aged engine to such lengths that they keep on trucking with the CEL light on as the rest of the car around it tends to fall apart.  As far as worn bearings, piston rings and such they are usually caused by the manufactures poor engine lubrication design so the best thing to do to save your motor is to make sure to research the motor of any car before you buy.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2019 11:05 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I'm so clumsy that filling the filter always results in oil everywhere. So I stopped.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2019 6:40 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

I'm so clumsy that filling the filter always results in oil everywhere. So I stopped.

Turkey baster? 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2019 1:34 am
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

@dev

Funny enough, I've been changing oil for years and never thought about doing this.. 🤔 I think i'm going to make this common place from now on... Especially nowa'days where oil pressure is so crucial in newer cars with various technologies controlling hydraulic valves and other little moving gizmos, du-dads and thinga-ma-jigs.

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2019 10:10 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @pattielipp

@dev

Funny enough, I've been changing oil for years and never thought about doing this.. 🤔 I think i'm going to make this common place from now on... Especially nowa'days where oil pressure is so crucial in newer cars with various technologies controlling hydraulic valves and other little moving gizmos, du-dads and thinga-ma-jigs.

I wouldn't stress over it too much because more cars on the road do not have the oil filter filled before installtion.  I would say the amount of cars on the road that have their oil filter filled  is less than 2%.  There is still oil for lubrication on the bearings and the times I changed the oil filter without filling it on my other car that uses the cartridge type did not blip the oil idiot light.  The oil pump works quick enough to fill the filter. 

What is most important in a modern engine is running a synthetic oil with a very good cleaning property that is able to remove deposits that can forum on the oil control solenoids and small passages of the VVT circuit that also supplies oil for the timing chain.  Just doing this one thing with factory filters and the engine will outlast you if you have an engine that was designed well.  If you have an engine that is notorious for bad rings or one that has bearing issues no amount of filling the oil filter is going to save it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2019 10:34 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: