Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Sooner or Later Your Spyder Is Going To Need New Paint, What Is It Going To Cost?

Page 1 / 3
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

For many of us, the places that get really dinged up on our Spyders are our hood, doors and, sometimes quarter panels.  So I thought it would be helpful to find out from other Spyder owners what they paid when they had their cars/parts of their cars repainted.  To make the comparisons more helpful please indicate when and where you had your car painted, what you had painted, plus if; your car needed body work in addition to new paint; you stayed with the original paint color (and OEM paint) or went with a different color or non-OEM paint; you decided to do some type of custom paint. Subjective ratings of the quality of your new paint job are also very welcome!

Yes, I know that car painting prices ---- sometimes dramatically ----  across the country. In search of significantly lower paint job prices, some of us are actually willing to travel ----- sometimes longer distances than you would imagine ---- to get a really good paint job at an excellent price.

Topic starter Posted : August 18, 2019 10:52 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

I will get my car repainted this Fall/Winter which will require some minor fiberglass repair as well as painting over the CF to make it all one color again.  Will post up the details once I have found a good body shop/person.

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2019 12:31 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Never cheap out on paint. Had my Corolla painted for $1200, the paint is trash now. Like, shriveled up, looks like an actual orange. Had my MR2's bumper painted for $500, no labor for removal, all paint. Still looks great. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2019 7:30 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

They say the going rate for a proper paint job is $2500 - $4000.  If you pay less than that you are getting a job that is worse than factory. I had a car painted on the cheap and it got ugly in two years.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2019 8:43 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member
Posted by: @dev

They say the going rate for a proper paint job is $2500 - $4000.  If you pay less than that you are getting a job that is worse than factory. I had a car painted on the cheap and it got ugly in two years.  

Pretty much exactly this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2019 8:46 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

I got a quote for the rear deck lid from the body shop that is doing The Frog's facial reconstruction surgery next week (yay!).

$512, just for the one panel. I need a raise...

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2019 9:23 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

That’s not a bad price if they are going to strip the deck first.  You will know something is not right if they don’t  remove the deck and paint it on the car. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2019 10:37 pm
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

I was told about $4500 a couple months ago but that included repainting a hardtop along with it. Wish my friend who owned a body shop hadn't retired and sold the place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2019 7:29 am
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

Here in sky high Metro D.C. Maryland, where way too many consumers have more spending money than brains, I got a quote for +$5,000.  Paint estimate included removing 12 or so dings, and a small door dent. BTW, the Spyder was to be painted in the exact same OEM color.

I decided to wait and, hopefully, get another more reasonable price quote sometime in the future.

Paul

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 19, 2019 1:58 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @not-2-old-for-2-seater

Here in sky high Metro D.C. Maryland, where way too many consumers have more spending money than brains, I got a quote for +$5,000.  Paint estimate included removing 12 or so dings, and a small door dent. BTW, the Spyder was to be painted in the exact same OEM color.

I decided to wait and, hopefully, get another more reasonable price quote sometime in the future.

Paul

Will a bell ring or the earth rumble at that magic moment of inversion when the cost to paint the car is more than the value of the car?

5 large. Gimme a break.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2019 9:03 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

The value of a car is irrelevant to the labor that goes into painting a car. A concours level paint job will cost more than many new cars. Doesn't de-value it at all. A high quality $5k paint job will be worth it even on a $2k Spyder, it's all about if you can justify it. Just like some of us buy a $3k hardtop for a $2k Spyder, or a $10k turbo project for a $2k Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2019 9:26 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

It was ridiculous how much they wanted to paint my TRD replica lip kit.  My friend knew a guy so I supplied them with all the materials which was a small fortune but the labor was cheap.  It ended up being an eye sore. 

Eventually I ended up buying someones real TRD used side skirts that had a few cracks and needed to be painted in my color.  I used all of my experience with painting small pieces and did a first class job.  

All of this could have been avoided if I just spent $1800 for the real kit instead of thinking I could get by on the cheap.  There is no savings only frustration and ugliness.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2019 9:35 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
RevToRed
(@revtored)

I recently paid $2,100 for a good (not perfect) complete pain job. Original Yellow color.

You can save a lot by disassembling parts like rubber seals,lights, mirrors, locks etc.

Same shop painted my Miata 13 years ago and it still looks great.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2019 11:52 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

LOL, you said "pain" job.

But that's my point. 2100 is reasonable, 5K is highway robbery.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 20, 2019 12:13 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Before getting paint quotes do a little research for your self. Find an automotive paint supply store. Price out a gallon; of primer, thinners, and top coat paint. Some colors are more expensive than others so make you you specify your color.

This won’t include shop materials such as sand paper sanding blocks, masking paper and such. If you do it your self you will see that to do what it takes to do a nice paint job is expensive.

then also realize that any good shop has overhead that costs them every month.

good shops make it look easy

so when you get a low quote, be careful you may regret the savings .

ask to see their paint booth

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 20, 2019 12:38 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
Page 1 / 3
Share: