Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Porsche 3rd brake light visor adaptation..... attention Nelix

dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

A few years ago I seen one of the new Porsche Boxsters 981  that has what looks like a very similar third brake visor that I use to make. 

Its weird that this visor came after what I was selling and it almost looks exactly like it.

If @nelix could measure his from edge to edge at its longest length on his car we can find out if this might work for us. This will have to be repainted but it should not be that bad.  There are plenty of salvaged Porsche with this style light if we can make it fit, It would be a nice upgrade because its better than the original TBL visor.  Its not that expensive either. The only reason why Im entertaining this is primarily because when I eye balled it at the car show the measurements looked very close or close enough to get it to work. 

https://www.partssociety.com/products/13-boxster-rwd-porsche-981-rear-center-brake-light-98163118103-112-629

Topic starter Posted : February 13, 2021 1:45 pm
Nelix
(@nelix)
Estimable Member

Hi Dev, on 12 hour shifts until Thursday and weather pretty atrocious here, but I will get to it by the end of the coming week.

[img] [/img]

Cranky, cantankerous, sarcastic Scottish git whose interests are beer, cars, motorbikes and scuba diving.
Currently driving a 2018 sapphire blue Porsche 718 Boxster and riding a 2020 BMW S1000R Sport..

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 14, 2021 1:44 pm
turbo_jimbo reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I appreciate that Nelix.  Whenever you get around to it.  

If it comes close I might order one from the salvage on EBay.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 14, 2021 3:44 pm
Nelix
(@nelix)
Estimable Member

@dev I take it it is the brake light cover you want measured, not the light?

Cranky, cantankerous, sarcastic Scottish git whose interests are beer, cars, motorbikes and scuba diving.
Currently driving a 2018 sapphire blue Porsche 718 Boxster and riding a 2020 BMW S1000R Sport..

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2021 10:04 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nelix

@dev I take it it is the brake light cover you want measured, not the light?

Yes Nelix, just the cover. The top edge that faces you edge to edge.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 16, 2021 10:15 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Also if you can the width from the middle. Fore and aft.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 16, 2021 10:21 am
Nelix
(@nelix)
Estimable Member

[img] [/img]

Length facing me is approx 500mm

Middle width is consistently 65mm until the curve.

Helpful?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 18, 2021 11:42 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Very helpful, thanks Nelix, much appreciated.  

It looks like the Porsche is slightly larger by almost 3/4"  and the width is longer by a 1/4 inch. 

It would have worked if it was slightly smaller length wise but larger is going to stick out on the sides. So close and yet the longer length just makes it impossible without cutting it up. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 18, 2021 12:21 pm
Nelix
(@nelix)
Estimable Member

Ah well, worth a try.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2021 7:37 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nelix

Ah well, worth a try.

You saved me a lot of pain and disappointment. I wanted something new to tinker with so instead I adjusted my vintage espresso machines pressure stat. What was suppose to be a simple adjustment but turned into a day of  modifications to get it back into range. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 19, 2021 11:56 am
Share: