Page 1 / 2
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

What do you guys thing of this mod. 

https://www.ropeyracing.com/mr2-parts/mr2-spyderroadster-rear-vent-cgrf5

0579D66A F9F1 4468 BEF9 49F402C0F29A

I wanted to make one a long time ago just like this but it was just too hard and it looks like its available almost as I envision.  This looks well made but Im not liking the two tone thing as it would look better color matched and  I do not like the nuts and bolt attachment.  I emailed the manufacture and asked if they could make me one without the drilled holes as I have a better way to attach it using the newer 3M tape that is reported to be as strong as industrial strength glue. 

Topic starter Posted : February 12, 2021 2:00 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

LOL, it directs water straight into the front of the engine compartment which was one of the things you stated my Viz hood did, which it doesn't. 

Just thought I would point that out.  🙂

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2021 2:11 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @neomr2

LOL, it directs water straight into the front of the engine compartment which was one of the things you stated my Viz hood did, which it doesn't. 

Just thought I would point that out.  🙂

It does but Im not worried about it since my car is garaged kept and only driven in ideal weather.  If it is parked and rains on that rare occasion its not going to hurt it but if its left outside I wouldn't consider it. 

Im just wondering if it looks ricey.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 12, 2021 2:18 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

The extra venting in the Viz lowered the under hood temperatures on my car, but I have more overall venting with the Monocraft body kit than most Spyders.  I wouldn't worry about the Rice look since its functional.  Just my $0.02

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2021 2:24 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

The extra venting in the Viz lowered the under hood temperatures on my car, but I have more overall venting with the Monocraft body kit than most Spyders.  I wouldn't worry about the Rice look since its functional.  Just my $0.02

I have already removed the under tray long ago so its already open and rain passes though it anyway.  Just curious if you remember where I mentioned the rain water from the VIS going directly to the engine.  Was it on this forum. 

I do not believe it will lower under hood temps as it would be practically the same thing as it is right now.  This is just for looks as these things generally do not make much of a difference and even if it did but looked like rice I would leave it alone as looks are more important to me. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 12, 2021 2:33 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@dev

It was on Spyderchat when I first added them to my build. 

The laminar air flow out of the engine compartment is greatly improved when in motion due to the baffling, plus the overall vent area is larger when stationary, so there should be a significant improvement.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2021 3:15 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@dev

It was on Spyderchat when I first added them to my build. 

The laminar air flow out of the engine compartment is greatly improved when in motion due to the baffling, plus the overall vent area is larger when stationary, so there should be a significant improvement.

I usually have this weird feeling if I feel I did not say something.  Maybe I did so I went looking everywhere and cant find it but I like to see what I have written because I would like to see my own hypocrisy for self improvement  as its not exactly what I believe. I am concerned with the water entry even from my own open grill but I generally don't think its the end of the world for a mostly garaged kept car or one that is in motion.  I found the relevant thread and it was someone else that had the concern. 

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/new-hood-trunk-pictures.151591/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 12, 2021 3:29 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@dev

LOL, I stand corrected and I apologize.  👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2021 3:37 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@dev

LOL, I stand corrected and I apologize.  👍 

No worries. I just needed to know for myself.  I know it was unintentional. 

It kind of does sound like something I would say but not in that way. I have been worried about rain collection and I use to sell a magnetic shield long ago that would prevent rain water when it rained.  You could actually use it while driving also but once it stopped raining it needed to come off.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 12, 2021 3:50 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Ropeyracing got back to me and said they couldn't make me one without the holes.  I suppose I could use low profile torques bolts or flush fasteners. 

They also offered me 10% off.  I never really liked the stock barbecue looking grill vents but at the same time it does not draw attention to its self.  Its certainly not  cheap but it is power coated which will match the black paint on my car.  They also made a single where the louvers are longer. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 12, 2021 5:21 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

You could also use some quality pop-rivets.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2021 5:30 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

You could also use some quality pop-rivets.

Possibly.  I will have to think long and hard on this one. Its slowly not growing on me the more I look at it and that it will forever have holes. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 12, 2021 5:40 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

It is hard to make the first cut, hole, or serious mod in anything you have invested a lot of time and money, but somehow it gets easier as time progresses...  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2021 5:49 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

It is hard to make the first cut, hole, or serious mod in anything you have invested a lot of time and money, but somehow it gets easier as time progresses...  

I don't mind making holes, I just don't like seeing them on the finished project even if they have caps on them.

That is why I cant stand those fender flairs that have those rivets or the line of demarcation where it looks like its stuck on. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 12, 2021 6:22 pm
neomr2 reacted
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

Interesting

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2021 6:57 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: