Share:

3rd Brake Light Visor prototype by Uncle Mush  

Page 5 / 5
  RSS
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @dev

I decided to put my efforts into testing primer adhesion since that is a concern. If the flex primer I use works then it would the way to go forward and if not then we need to have a better solution.  

When I send the next version out to our testers, I will prime with the special automotive plastics paint I picked-up on Friday.  If you like, Dev, I can send you a primed and an unprimed one as well so you can A/B test it against the primer that you use.  The guy who owns the automotive paint store that is helping me with this project has specialized training in painting plastics and I trust him, but if there is another way to go -- especially if it is just as effective and less expensive -- I'm all for that.  It would seem that one of the biggest unknowns is the test of time and what happens with each material over time as both the HDPE and the paint(s) shrink.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 7, 2019 10:04 am
Dev
 Dev
(@dev)
Dev, The one and only. Moderator
Posted by: @uncle-mush
Posted by: @dev

I decided to put my efforts into testing primer adhesion since that is a concern. If the flex primer I use works then it would the way to go forward and if not then we need to have a better solution.  

When I send the next version out to our testers, I will prime with the special automotive plastics paint I picked-up on Friday.  If you like, Dev, I can send you a primed and an unprimed one as well so you can A/B test it against the primer that you use.  The guy who owns the automotive paint store that is helping me with this project has specialized training in painting plastics and I trust him, but if there is another way to go -- especially if it is just as effective and less expensive -- I'm all for that.  It would seem that one of the biggest unknowns is the test of time and what happens with each material over time as both the HDPE and the paint(s) shrink.

I like this. I don't think there is any need for testing on my part. I will leave it to the professionals as im sure they have it figured out and will not be an issue moving forward.  Apart from the fitting this was my major concern and now that you have taken care of it, there is no point to testing until it is fully painted.  

Where I can place my efforts is in a DIY tutorial on how to paint it for the home user who doesn't have experience in paint. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 7, 2019 10:48 am
Not 2 Old For 2 Seater
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Trusted Member

In the past, when some ignorant folks complained about how much it costs to buy Moded parts for the Spyder, I really was not sure how to "Educate" them as to the cost of prototyping, sales, service, returns, etc.

In the future, I will just refer them to this thread to allow them to see how, exactly, "The Miracle Happens," and new custom parts become available.

It really takes a Village to bring one of these good, new ideas to fruition.

I salute all of you who are "Putting Skin In The Game" to take this exciting project to fruition! 👍 👍 

Paul

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 8, 2019 9:08 am
Page 5 / 5
Share:
Close Menu

Please Login or Register