Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Rear calipers

(@ihs61)

Hi, I am after a pair of new rear calipers for my 2005 MR2, after looking at numerous suppliers they list them as suitable for 1999 - 2007. does this mean that the calipers are the same for the pre-face lift and face lift models ?

Just to confuse me further, I have found one supplier that lists two different calipers 1999-2002, (5 speed) and 2002-2007 (6 speed)

I do know that the hand brake cables are different, sligtly longer on the FL and so is the rear subframe, so I just want to be certain that I am buying the correct parts.

Many thanks Ian

Topic starter Posted : June 3, 2023 3:41 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Cant really know for sure but I would imagine if there is a part difference it might have been reported when someone tried to replace their calipers.

In a situation like this I would error on the side of getting the part for the specific year if there is a doubt unless the part supplier is asking too much. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2023 11:39 am
(@ihs61)

Thanks Dev for your input,

I totally agree that airing on the side of caution is the wise move however in the case, as most suppliers state 1999 - 2007 there is a wide choice and the prices therefore are most competitive. As opposed to the one supplier who differentiates between the two models, he/she is significantly more expensive.

Thanks Ian  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 3, 2023 1:09 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Posted by: @ihs61

Thanks Dev for your input,

I totally agree that airing on the side of caution is the wise move however in the case, as most suppliers state 1999 - 2007 there is a wide choice and the prices therefore are most competitive. As opposed to the one supplier who differentiates between the two models, he/she is significantly more expensive.

Thanks Ian  

In that case I would look for a supplier that has a good return policy. If they state that it fits then it's their responsibility to take them back at their expense if it does not work out. 

It's very difficult these days to fine parts that list the years correctly.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2023 6:10 pm
(@ihs61)

Many thanks Ian

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 4, 2023 1:23 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

The right rear caliper part number applies to build dates 12/1999-12/2004. Just for what it's worth. So it's not even split among the facelift and pre-facelift. But I'm sure they're interchangeable.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2023 2:50 am
(@ihs61)

Thanks for every ones input, normally I would just buy a pair that are listed for all years and then if they are wrong return them and pay the extra for the ones listed specifically for the face lift - FYI the extra is £40 per caliper.

The problem is, I live in the UK and my MR2 is at my holiday home in France, so returning them if they are wrong would be quite difficult.

Due to the price difference, I would have thought someone else would have tried the more cost effective option and then will know for certain that the calipers are as we all suspect the same

Thanks Ian

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 8, 2023 2:57 am
Share: