Notifications
Clear all

Spyder C's Short Stroke Shifter Reproduction

Page 6 / 8
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@haloruler64

I feel sure that we have a replica of the shifter that SuperKlasse bought and was purported to be a C's. 

This post was modified 5 years ago by DesertWanderer

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 1, 2019 6:22 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I haven't seen any evidence so far. The instructions are in Japanese and say C's. The shape of the SK replica matches the photos in the instructions.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 6:54 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@haloruler64

Look at the first panel in the instructions.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 1, 2019 7:00 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

That's cryptic. Explain what I should be looking for?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 7:02 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Sorry for being cryptic. I did not want to direct you to what I think you should see. I now see your point. Look at the first panel of the instruction page below. There are clearly two bends in the shifter.

Cs Install Instr

Then again, looking at other panels/pages I can see no bend or one bend. I agree with there being no evidence or consistency in the pics in the instructions for no, one, or two bends.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 1, 2019 7:19 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

That's removal instructions. The shifter shown is the OEM one with two bends. It is shown being removed in later panels. The C's shifter that was installed in place of OEM in the instructions has a single bend just like the final product from SK. No inconsistencies. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 7:41 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Whatever doubts you had can be put to rest. Someone on SC posted a photo of the original C's shifter for the MR-S. SK's replica is correct. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 7:46 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Fantastic! I did not even think that a picture of one existed. Much appreciated!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 1, 2019 7:54 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Whatever the case is it looks like the C shifter got it wrong.  

One other thing that is misleading is the advertising for the replica. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 8:02 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

What advertising is misleading?
C's definitely got it wrong. But so did every shifter that's not TRD to various degrees. If a company is to make a short shifter, at the very least copy the OEM bends so it sits straight.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 9:08 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

“The discontinued C’s shifter was the best shifter money could buy for the MR2 back in the days. It surpassed even the TRD.  Now, it is once again available!”

I don’t know of any member on SC or MR2ROC that has this shifter. It was basically not known. 

If it surpassed the TRD shifter in Japan that is a possibility in a very limited market. 

Agreed no shifter is perfect however I found the B&M perfect for me and some others feel the same way as it feels like a aggressive well designed short shifter that delivers the goods. The TRD although more factory like was what what was wrong with it from my perspective and some others because I could not tell the difference to justify going through the trouble and expense.  I was disappointed for the  reason that although TRD is quality it tries hard to be vanilla and the least offensive. Sometimes a little more effort is required if you want to crossover to something that feels more solid. It’s not for everyone and it comes down to personal preference but having a sloped shifter is not a preference.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 9:54 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Oh I didn't actually see that. Yeah that's not realistic. 

I actually love the TRD and found it a massive upgrade over stock. Really changed the shift feel. Short, clicky, and really smooth. Of course you do have to match 5 speed to 5 speed and 6 to 6, using a 5 speed cage on a 6 speed makes it feel much worse. And hey, it's actually centered lol. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 10:03 pm
Erdoc48
(@erdoc48)
Estimable Member

Quick question: what is the difference between a TRD 5 and 6 speed cage and shifter? I have a TRD shifter on a C66 transmission that I swapped in for my C56 years ago- is there a difference in the shifting with a 5 speed vs 6 speed TRD shifter (I couldn’t tell you if mine was designed for the 5 or 6 speed manual)?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 10:11 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Even though the B&M is  off center it sits straight and visually with the boot it’s hard to tell.  It can be a little odd the first time you use it compared to the stock but after a day you don’t notice it.  When someone else drives they certainly need to adjust to it because the gates are close but when you drive it’s just right.  It has the feel of a real gated shifter only shorter. That little weight end on the bottom half of the shifter  seems like it was  well thought out by someone who understands shifter feel. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 10:19 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member
Posted by: @erdoc48

Quick question: what is the difference between a TRD 5 and 6 speed cage and shifter? I have a TRD shifter on a C66 transmission that I swapped in for my C56 years ago- is there a difference in the shifting with a 5 speed vs 6 speed TRD shifter (I couldn’t tell you if mine was designed for the 5 or 6 speed manual)?

The side to side mechanism on the cage is different, that's all. 6 speed shifter works on 5 speed but if you do 5 speed TRD shifter on 6 speed it's hard to get into reverse. 

Dev I can't comment on the B&M as I've never used one. Only eBay, stock, TRD, and C's.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 1, 2019 10:31 pm
Page 6 / 8
Share: