Notifications
Clear all

How I stopped my doors from freezing shut

RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

Hey Guys,

For the entirety of my ownership of the spyder, going on 3 years now, I've had issues with the doors freezing shut in the winter, or really whenever it dropped noticeably below freezing. I got into the routine of pouring hot water along the edges in the morning so I could go to work. Granted, I live in WV and we have cold winters. 

Finally got tired of this and decided to try out the Shin-Etsu silicone grease from Honda. After cleaning the weatherstripping,  I put a very light skin coat on all of the stripping that comes in contact with the door/ window and my doors no longer freeze shut. So that's a win for me. 

My doors did not leak before this, but I did notice when looking at the freezing pattern on the weatherstripping that the ice/water was coming a ways down the stripping before being stopped. So I suspect I wasn't far from them starting to leak. I think Honda repurposed the shin etsu grease to be used on weather stripping after suffering some sealing issues with one of their t-top cars. Not sure how this will effect the stripping over time by I haven't read anything about this grease causing premature failure so it'll probably be fine. I'm sure there is a superior product for this application out there but this works.

Any of you guys have any similar issues/ what do you guys use, if anything, to condition the weather stripping?

Topic starter Posted : January 23, 2022 9:37 pm
(@randman2011)
Eminent Member

Deleted

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2022 3:08 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @ria

Hey Guys,

For the entirety of my ownership of the spyder, going on 3 years now, I've had issues with the doors freezing shut in the winter, or really whenever it dropped noticeably below freezing. I got into the routine of pouring hot water along the edges in the morning so I could go to work. Granted, I live in WV and we have cold winters. 

Finally got tired of this and decided to try out the Shin-Etsu silicone grease from Honda. After cleaning the weatherstripping,  I put a very light skin coat on all of the stripping that comes in contact with the door/ window and my doors no longer freeze shut. So that's a win for me. 

My doors did not leak before this, but I did notice when looking at the freezing pattern on the weatherstripping that the ice/water was coming a ways down the stripping before being stopped. So I suspect I wasn't far from them starting to leak. I think Honda repurposed the shin etsu grease to be used on weather stripping after suffering some sealing issues with one of their t-top cars. Not sure how this will effect the stripping over time by I haven't read anything about this grease causing premature failure so it'll probably be fine. I'm sure there is a superior product for this application out there but this works.

Any of you guys have any similar issues/ what do you guys use, if anything, to condition the weather stripping?

Shin Etsu FTW! I started Japanese cars with S2000's (I still have one with 400,000 miles) and my seals around top, doors and trunk have never leaked and no freezing. My MR2's do well with Shin Etsu as well!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 4, 2022 4:24 pm
RIA and Uncle Mush reacted
WhyT
 WhyT
(@whyt)
Posted by: @ria

I'm sure there is a superior product for this application out there

Shin Etsu grease is the superior product. I used to be a Honda technician and this stuff was like magic in a tube, we used it on everything.

Project to begin all Projects™
Coming Summer of 2023!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 5, 2022 12:19 am
RIA, dev and Uncle Mush reacted
Share: