Share:
Notifications
Clear all

AC Condensate Passenger Front Floor

ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

This is a common problem with many cars... The drain for the AC condensor is clogged and water fills the condenser drain basin. The basin overflows into the footwell of the passenger side. So working from the outside in, the drain comes out toward the middle of the front underbody in front of the steering rack.

I have this drain clog problem. My question is how to best deal with it. I can use compressed air and a narrow tube and blow out the material to clean the clog in the drain. But it is likely the clog will return because they material clogging it was not removed. So what if I go from the inside? I don't recall how to access or what is the best way to access the basin and drain. Anyone with knowledge, experience,or pictures or guidance on this? Thank you. 

Topic starter Posted : July 5, 2019 6:47 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I had mine apart just last weekend.   The drain tube can be reached from the passenger footwell.  If there’s a blockage in the tube it will be easy to clear.    If there’s blockage inside the evap box,  it’s a bigger job.   

Photo is coming...

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2019 7:51 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member
E4D48534 D681 4631 A6E7 ADCE454F023C
6F53D2FA 80E2 426C 8246 CC6B5D47D8B7

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2019 7:53 pm
Galo and hello reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

Scribbly arrow points to the drain...

38EAA30B E434 4A54 AFA0 B1361FDC3D5B

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2019 7:57 pm
Galo and hello reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

My finger is pointing to the drain tube.  It just pulls off the plastic tub, no clamp or anything. You could blow it out from inside, then maybe hook up a shop vac to a piece of rubber tubing and try sucking any slime out of the evap box through the hole.   

Removing the box requires busting open the Freon tubes.    I can describe if you need.  

B5A3D798 40F2 479B 813A 84ADC75BCE5D

This post was modified 5 years ago by cyclehead

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2019 8:03 pm
Galo and hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member

I love how everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2019 9:11 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

Cyclehead, thanks. Looking at the pictures it's a little difficult to picture the position. Let me try to surmise based on experience and the pictures provided.  The tub has a drain that is on the upper firewall edge of the left side of the passenger footwell.  The drain hose drops from that in corner position then down through the floor.  This drain tube has no hose clamp and comes off with a tug (which will likely release all the water trapped in the overflowing tub. I will try to vac the tub and the drain hole using a shop vac and a means to go from 2 inch vac hose to a 1/4-inch drain tube port. I'll try to inject a anti fungal cleanser in the tub to attempt to kill fungal crud (maybe rubbing alcohol). Then on the drain tube side, I'll clean the drain tube that drains to the outside passengers wheel well area.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 5, 2019 9:58 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

Okay. I way overplayed this issue. I popped off the tube (30 seconds) there was no excess water. I took a long thin tie wrap pushed it into the pan - no water no blockage. The connecting hose is 3 inches - clean. The through-the-floor hose no obstruction. So maybe this reasonably loose hose connected to the floor drain allows water out (because there is no hose clamp). So I put a small tie-wrap around the hose-tub connector to act as a house clamp. We'll see if it leaks. Thanks again.

It took me longer to write this than to they work! lol

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 5, 2019 10:13 pm
CSPIDY and Galo reacted
Share: