Share:
Notifications
Clear all

LT's Engine swap and more Extravaganza

Page 1 / 5
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Well, I have been accumulating parts for a long time now.  And things kept (and will continue to keep) getting in the way.  But this past weekend, I actually made some good progress with more plans in the works.  Lots of parts taken off the car, but still much more to go before the engine comes out.  I'll be posting as regularly as I am actually able to work on my car, but I am definitely excited that the wheels are finally in motion again on this project.

Details will follow, but the main project is replacing my beat up, 1ZZ with a built 1ZZ that I bought some years ago at an incredible deal.  And then swap out some other parts, install parts that I've had laying around like the delrin shift cable bushings and many other things like that.  Most of this build will focus on the mechanical aspects of it, but also some cleanup of the area and some re-routing of wires, hoses, etc.  I am changing up my intercooler setup with a different heat exchanger and different reservoir.  Basically, this will be a big 2.0 version of my build that will benefit from the years of experience in gradually making what I have now as well as stuff I've learned from this community.

And no thread is useful unless there are some pics.   so....

On Lift Front
On Lift Rear
SnowPerformance

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

Topic starter Posted : December 7, 2020 11:00 am
dev reacted
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

Nice garage!

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2020 5:16 pm
LordTakuban reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Nice refresh project.  I had to fix a number of things around 2016 to get my car back to the way it was and then improved on it a little in the process. It is a great feeling once you get the car finally the way you want it. At this point considering there is nothing like the Spyder on the road the car has become timeless. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2020 9:45 am
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

Any progress yet? I want to see moar!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 9, 2021 7:10 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I have been making slow progress.  I'll post some pics soon of where things are at.  I am super close to having the engine out.  I have just been so damn busy with all the other projects that come up.

I did send my exhaust components and intake pipes to Jet-Hot to get coated and am basically taking my time and fab-ing up some customer braided hoses for oil return and all that sexy engine stuff.  so when this all goes back in, it should look pretty sweet.  Part of the problem is as I'm removing things, I just keep thinking "... hmm.  I should just replace this with a better part.".  it's a sickness.  hahaha

I'll add pics in the next week or so of some of the progress and various things I've done.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 28, 2021 4:50 pm
dev and turbo_jimbo reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Just get it done ASAP so you can enjoy the drive. Since my car has been taken out of hibernation I always look forward to driving it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2021 9:32 am
LordTakuban reacted
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

I found w2a parts at cx racing. Seem to be decent enough.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 1, 2021 2:52 pm
LordTakuban reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

That scissors Jack is bad ass

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2021 12:03 pm
LordTakuban reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @t-bone

Looks like it's $2k...interested in 1/2-zies?

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 5, 2021 8:50 pm
LordTakuban reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin
Posted by: @galo
Posted by: @t-bone

Looks like it's $2k...interested in 1/2-zies?

That's what I paid for mine.  It works great.  Hard to access the middle of the car, but front and rear are perfect.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 6, 2021 1:05 pm
Galo reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Here's a couple pics of misc progress on custom hoses and pipe coatings...

Custom oil return line:

IMG 20210225 090515

Please note that both the turbo and header are spares used for mock ups only.

Jet Hot Intake pipes coated:

IMG 20210306 153658

Jet Hot Exhaust Pipes coated:

IMG 20210306 153641
IMG 20210306 154203

Exhaust is coated in 2500* coating and intake pipes in the 1300* coating.  I figure they should help keep the air cool on the way in and keep the heat contained in the pipes on the way out.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 6, 2021 1:32 pm
Galo and turbo_jimbo reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I finally hit a major milestone in my project.  The engine is OUT!  It seemed like this was never going to happen for so long.  Now it's a matter of cleaning things up, sorting out how I'm going to route my vacuum lines and wires better and clean some more and then get the necessary parts migrated over to the engine that's currently on the stand.  Fun times ahead for sure.

... Oh.  I almost forgot.  I need to post the mandatory photo...

Justin MR2 EngineBay 1440

More to come soon-ish, I hope.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 22, 2021 5:20 pm
neomr2 reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

It has been a LONG time since I've posted anything on this project.  And not a lot has happened since the last post.  But I have made some progress and I've been continuing to chip away at it.

For starters, I bought a new set of 650cc injectors from FIC:

FIC InjectorKit

Then, I took the transmission off of the old engine and am cleaning and prepping it for paint

TrannyOff

Then, I decided to re-loom the engine wire harness since it was pretty nasty and was also a bit deteriorated.

Here's a before while I just had some labels on the harness with it still on the engine:

Harness OnEngine

And here's a couple pics of the tightened up and re-sleeved harness:

Harness
Harness closeup

I've done a few other odds and ends as well, but nothing major to speak of really.  I will be continuing to prep the tranny as well as the engine bay for painting and then paint those.  Once that has been completed, I'll be in the process of putting things back together and back in the car.  That will hopefully go quicker.  But I'm not holding my breath. I'm just glad that I'm making progress again after several interruptions and other projects getting in the way.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 16, 2022 11:05 pm
Galo and CSPIDY reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

That's awesome!  What color are you painting the engine?  040 Super White to match you car?  No need to worry about it going faster after all of this work -- especially if you paint the engine 040 Super White since that is the undisputed fasted color Toyota ever produced!  😎 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 17, 2022 1:01 am
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

This is going to be so clean when you're done! In your photo where you're standing in the engine bay, what type of jack are you using to raise the car that high? I'm gonna be doing some rust rehab soon (I live in WV) and I don't think jackstand height will cut it this time around lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 17, 2022 5:57 pm
Page 1 / 5
Share: