Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Trailer hitch suitable for a bike rack?

Page 1 / 2
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Anyone have any suggestions Uhaul comes to mind just looking for something that will attach safely and care two bike at most 🙂

Topic starter Posted : May 11, 2021 1:53 pm
OldMan
(@oldman)
Posted by: @t-bone

Anyone have any suggestions Uhaul comes to mind just looking for something that will attach safely and care two bike at most 🙂

Contact Cyclehead.  He's the expert on such things.

This post was modified 3 years ago by OldMan

What is the politically correct term for "euphemism"?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 12, 2021 9:47 am
T-bone reacted
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @t-bone

Let me check but I think I have one I picked up NIB from someone that 2'sRUS made years ago used to carry. that screwed into the nuts behind bumper. I would have those nuts welded all the way across and paint the welds. If I can dig it out it is yours for $250 shipped. It is only the hitch no bike rack. I will check later today.

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 13, 2021 9:47 am
T-bone reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

@grumpy

Thanks if you can tell me the size of the receiver that would be very cool of you. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 13, 2021 11:06 am
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

@t-bone

It is a 1 1/4 inch square. It is not in box but has never been used. There is no scratches on black paint or the bolts.

EDIT if you do get it welded I suggest disconnecting battery.

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 13, 2021 8:13 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

@grumpy

thanks let me research what my bike rack options are in that size. Not being that savvy with its design what welding is required? Goal is not to permanently attach if it screws into the tow hook threads  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 14, 2021 7:42 am
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

the nuts are spot welded for the threaded steel loop that came with the car to pull it out backwards with a wrecker. They are fine pulling straight,,back but the stress of bouncing up and down ( different stress torque) it might not be. Welding them solid should work from what I remember reading about those who used bike racks on them on Spyderchat years ago, If you have it welded make sure to get matching scratch paint to cover the burned off paint.

Tow hook, I had a brain fart and couldn't think of the word. It screws into the tow hook nuts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2021 11:15 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

ACB25404 4FC7 435F 893C 35D4A5FB39E4

If you make your threaded rods from 7/8 inch diameter steel, they will rest on the through-holes in the crash bar.   That means the tack welded nuts will not see any bending.  They will only see the pulling load.   Dead weight on the hitch will bear against the crash bar.  Photos show where the threaded rod bears, and the scratches where the rods rest ( when my trailer hitch was new).  Now those same marks are down to bare metal.

5609F467 CD93 498C AA56 3AF68D638D6E
1FE1329E 562F 42FB AE0A 84F817A9B703

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2021 1:51 pm
grumpy reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

It sounds like pwnzor isn’t happy with his hitch.   You could make him an offer.  It looks to me like it needs a little welding to take out some loose play. Minor tweak. 

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/trailer-hitches.155080/post-2152635

This post was modified 3 years ago by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2021 6:17 pm
T-bone reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

@cyclehead

LOL sadly that guy would rather die than deal with me 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 17, 2021 2:48 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Yo T, I just saw this thread...I have most of what you need, just not assembled. I was going to do all this back when I was a/x-ing, '08-'10, even bought an HF trailer. Maybe get a Purdue engineering student to figure it all out.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 18, 2021 11:05 am
T-bone reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

@galo coolness we can chat later about it definitely a project I want to pursue just want to be able to take on and off when desired. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 18, 2021 12:03 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

T, "you" just screw them in, then screw them out...you know how to screw, right?

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 19, 2021 7:37 pm
grumpy reacted
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

If he doesn't I could probably find some links and maybe a couple of books with diagrams that might help. You just have to follow the science. It actually is settled science, but the last few decades the parts can be interchanged...supposedly. Never got interested enough to pursue that though. P Mayhaps it will spark an interest in T or Nelix. Nelix's pieces parts are just about worn out. He probably is looking for a change. 😎 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2021 12:02 pm
T-bone and neomr2 reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Yeeeeoooowww...and you even got Nelix involved 😯 😳 

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2021 8:08 pm
neomr2 reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: