2AR-FE swap cruise ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2AR-FE swap cruise control retrofit

Page 1 / 2
(@mscholten)
Eminent Member

One of the consequences of the 2AR-FE swap being drive by wire is that I was able to retrofit cruise control into my 2003 manual Spyder and it looks completely stock.

097A69FF AB28 4CC2 9E5C 947BC52608B9

Here is what to do:

1. Find an early 2000s Toyota in your local salvage yard, preferably a car with the same steering wheel as the Spyder- Celica, Corolla, Spyder SMT, etc. Buy the clock spring, cruise control lever, and steering wheel backing with the opening for the cruise lever. If you don’t have any pins left from rewiring your harness, grab a connector off the ECU with the smaller pins. I took all of this off a 2003 Celica.

2. Remove your steering wheel after disconnecting the battery and removing the airbag. There are Torx screws on each side to release the airbag. The clock spring is held in by three clips, at 12, 4, and 8 o clock.

3. Replace the rear shell on the steering wheel.

A111A1C5 BE28 4EC7 9DA8 CB6E2C2282D5

4. The manual Spyder steering wheel has the holes for the cruise lever, but they aren’t tapped. It’s M5x0.8.

E33373A3 45D6 4CCE 99AB 6F93EAADC188
47BB21F2 4E20 420A 878E BB52D7211C08

5. At this point it is probably smart to measure the resistances of your cruise lever and make sure they match the tC lever. Mine were the same.

FD2E6DCA 8D76 4C72 87EA 66347EC3E0E0
71119381 60D9 4BB2 AC05 9296D2870147

6. Attach the cruise lever to your newly tapped holes and verify the clock spring is functional- if you look closely the stock clock spring (left) only has 2 pins and the cruise control has 5. Make sure the two pins of the cruise stalk, pins 2 and 3 in the Celica, carry through. My pin #2 wasn’t giving consistent readings, so I relocated the lever pins to 3 and 4.

F51AC96E 9BC7 4B17 A88D F3D57880DBD3

7. Reinstall the clock spring and the steering wheel into the car.

8. Next, you need to run a pair of wires from the clock spring to the body controller. At the clock spring side I depinned pin 4 on the connector to the right and connected my scavenged pins on pins 3 and 4. Thanks to Paul Hibbs for the photo and guidance. The red and white wire is ground and none of the other wires are used in the Manual Spyder. 

8A0FE7EC 157D 4C1C 9BF5 803226ADF8E4

I routed the wires next to Marc’s drive by wire harness.

D0E53E95 09D3 4EDD BB61 4E9379E14265

On the ECU side, I connected one of the wires to body ground, and the second wire goes into pin 19 of the 22 pin connector- use your leftover pins.

4B4D42AA FB75 4628 9468 C9444FA4BD2A

This pin gets routed through the body controller to the cruise pin on the ECU.

9. So, now you have cruise, and brake (provided by the body controller already, thanks Marc). The last piece is the clutch signal.

In the Spyder, the clutch switch flips between Open (Clutch out) and GND (Clutch in):

9831E7A5 0243 4152 A6B2 6B447C020763

The tC expects 12v (Clutch out) and Open (Clutch in):

20033852 9C0D 458C B173 5CFA869F5A61

The current version of the body controller doesn’t do this automatically, although I will be testing a white wire mod. Until then, you can tie the clutch wire (the green wire- I am not sure if it is in auto trans harnesses, because I used a manual harness) going to the ECU to one of the Ignition wires on E4-

4479ED66 434D 4375 BD1F 0B742D1BE010

This will make the ECU see 12V and let you set the cruise. It won’t disable cruise when you push in the clutch like the eventual correct wiring will, but who pushes in the clutch while in cruise?

Now you will have functional cruise control with a completely stock appearance.

The only thing at this point is the cluster won’t show you when you have cruise on or set. I don’t know if the stock cluster has the lightbulb and a CAN message needs to be sent, or whether somebody could wire up a switch to an LED, or ...

Thanks to Marc and Paul for help. 

Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2020 7:26 pm
CSPIDY, neomr2, haloruler64 and 1 people reacted
 Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member

Nice writeup 🙂

The light will be a CAN message and interestingly I have an extra driver on the body controller to drive the security LED. Having the cruise light under the fan speed knob is a bit off but some software could fix what you're asking for. 

It's not going to happen right away though, working hard on the A/C compressor and the 2ar-fe build right now. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 8:45 pm
Mscholten reacted
(@mscholten)
Eminent Member

@marc

I don’t know if you still have a stock cluster out of a car, but here is where the cruise light is on the SMT.

7B2A7469 137C 485D 8346 21B83AE901A1
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2020 9:06 pm
 Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member

Of course i have spare parts like that laying around. Here's a 5MT cluster. It has a different overlay without a cruise light at all. 

Also, the circuit board does not have the LED populated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 9:18 pm
(@mscholten)
Eminent Member

@marc

I would be fine with soldering down a LED and drilling a hole in the overlay if you can figure out the CAN message... after you finish everything else.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2020 9:22 pm
 Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member

A bit more looking, the cluster PCB is also missing a resistor, a transistor, a capacitor and a resistor so you would need a custom overlay and a modified circuit board. I could actually do both but that overlay is not super cheap to get done.

That particular position looks like it goes to a discrete pin but interestingly some of the other unused positions look like they may get controlled over BEAN to avoid needing to wire in anything extra. 

It would probably end up being a $200-300 cluster upgrade service which seems excessive for a cruise control light. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 9:26 pm
 Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member

As for the DIY style solution, if i add the software to use the security light you could reroute that wire to the cluster instead

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 9:28 pm
(@mscholten)
Eminent Member

@marc

That would work. I was thinking a trigger to ground relay that switched an LED on/off. One could wire in the cruise control signal, which is turned on/off by a pulse to ground and use that to control the LED.

Or, just route the logic into a pin that will drive enough current to run a couple wires from the body controller to the dash somewhere.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Mscholten
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2020 9:33 pm
 Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member

It just occurred to me on the missing clutch switch that an inline brake pressure sensor would work great. those are designed to close contacts at low pressure and designed to handle way higher pressures than a clutch master produces. Plus they use the same fittings as the clutch line already and the sensor could be placed near the ECU area to avoid wiring all the way to the dash anyways. 

You just need one side of the switch to go to ground and the other site to go to ignition through a 2-5k resistor and that same 2nd side to go to the ECU's clutch switch input.

This kind of thing:

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 24, 2020 8:44 am
(@mscholten)
Eminent Member

I’m going to take a look at the clutch pedal and see if there’s any existing threading... I imagine there has to be for another stock Toyota part, like this.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/99?loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F656465523%3Fiid%3D191273024289

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 24, 2020 9:02 am
 Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member

I'll save you crawling around in uncomfortable positions. it's much easier to see it on my race car without a dash. You absolutely can use a switch like that, that style replaces the top of travel stop bolt that you can see here:

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 24, 2020 9:15 am
Mscholten reacted
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @marc

It just occurred to me on the missing clutch switch that an inline brake pressure sensor would work great. those are designed to close contacts at low pressure and designed to handle way higher pressures than a clutch master produces. Plus they use the same fittings as the clutch line already and the sensor could be placed near the ECU area to avoid wiring all the way to the dash anyways. 

You just need one side of the switch to go to ground and the other site to go to ignition through a 2-5k resistor and that same 2nd side to go to the ECU's clutch switch input.

This kind of thing:

This style switch was used in many mid fifties and sixties cars. They work fine but the new switches have a high failure rate unless you buy very high quality. I had to replace mine on my 57 Tbird and purchased a Ron Francis switch. I hope it works for a long time.

if they fail in Cruise Control system when you hit the brake the car can accelerate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 24, 2020 1:30 pm
(@mscholten)
Eminent Member
@marc

Is the threading the same as the brake light switch on the brake pedal? I’m not going to go to the salvage yard looking for a manual car, but I know there are early 2000s Toyota’s if I can use the brake switch for the clutch.
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 24, 2020 1:40 pm
 Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @cspidy

This style switch was used in many mid fifties and sixties cars. They work fine but the new switches have a high failure rate unless you buy very high quality. I had to replace mine on my 57 Tbird and purchased a Ron Francis switch. I hope it works for a long time.

if they fail in Cruise Control system when you hit the brake the car can accelerate.

They also got used in 90's and early 2000's fords for cruise cancel so there are more modern reliable versions available. Also, it's a manual transmission so i'm not really worried about cruise killing anyone. Just push the clutch in if something goes weird. I've actually had this happen to me in a 2001 ford ranger back in the day. it started accelerating and instinctively i pushed the clutch before i saw the RPMs flare way up and realized what had happened. A Cruise failure in a manual transmission vehicle is merely an inconvenience. 

Michael, i just went and measured it with calipers and it's an M10x1.25 thread and it looks like there's an 8-10mm thick captured nut and about 10mm gap before the plate so the sensor needs to be at least 20mm long plus whatever the jam nut thickness is. Also, my pedal seems to be missing the rubber bumper. if yours is missing you'll also need part number 90541-06036 to replace it.

But I can do a bit better than that. the part number you need is 88280-14030. cross referencing the part on e-bay i found this: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Clutch-Switch-Lucas-SMB5018-Replaces-88280-14030-/362746208102 which confirms the thread to M10x1.25 and it has about 30mm of thread. It's also used in the 2010 camry so it's even the right switch for the 2ar-fe (not that there really would be a wrong switch, we could use normally open or normally closed)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 24, 2020 2:50 pm
Mscholten reacted
 Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member

The connector for that switch is not pulling up with a part number but here's the profile:

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 24, 2020 3:01 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: