Wiring for spyder s...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wiring for spyder swap made easy (2ar-fe, 2gr-fe, k-swap, anything OBDII compatible)

Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member

So i'm pretty thrilled about this. I finished up my MR2 Spyder body controller. It's a circuit board that fits in the stock 1zz ECU case and plugs into the stock chassis wiring and acts as a gateway. It pretends to be an ECU for the car so the car gets all the signals it expects and the A/C as well as the gauge cluster works properly and then it provides the swap ECU all the signals it expects without needing to cut up the stock wiring. 

The way the A/C is handled is very complete. It also controls the fans for the condenser and even properly displays A/C faults by blinking the LED light just like the factory does it. It also handles compressor cycling when the weather is cold and knows the difference between the A/C being used to cool the car vs when it is being used to dehumidify for the sake of defrosting the windshield quicker. 

Even mundane things are handled like making it so the power steering pump stays off when the engine isn't running and generating the brake confirmation signal needed for most modern ECUs, especially if you're wanting to use cruise control.

There's also a relatively thorough document on how to wire it up: https://frankensteinmotorworks.com/MKIII/diagrams/Toyota%20MR2%20Spyder%20Body%20Controller%20Wiring%20Guide.pdf

Of course this is a bit easier to use with a 2ar-fe or a 2gr-fe because i make the sub-harness available which hooks up most of those wires but this will work just fine with the k-series or any other OBDII compatible ECU.

There's also a video if that's the way you want to learn about it:

Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2020 9:51 pm
WilcoMR-S, CSPIDY, marsrock7 and 2 people reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Thats truly amazing work.  Thanks for improving our platform. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 10:23 pm
(@mr2zeal)
Eminent Member

This is awesomee! Love your work and effort for the MR2 community.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2020 11:05 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Hey Marc, that guy in the vid looks and sounds just like you 😉 😉 

I hope you're doing well...

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2020 1:51 pm
 Marc
(@marc)
Trusted Member

You're welcome guys, I'm having fun doing this and it looks like i'm very slowly making headway forward. People are starting to talk about this swap more and more so hopefully parts actually start selling soon.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 26, 2020 2:44 pm
WilcoMR-S and dev reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Wow!  That's great work!

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2020 10:55 am
Share: