Share:
Notifications
Clear all

SLK seats

ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

The other day I read about an MR2 FS with swap 2zz. The interesting thing to me is that it had SLK seats. Hmmm... These seats are readily available. The question is what it takes to swap them in. Anyone with knowledge on this? And is this an upgrade? 

Topic starter Posted : October 6, 2019 4:13 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I did a quick search on the seats before I commented that they would be too heavy.  

Apparently they are 35lbs each which is just a tad more than the stock seats which is not too bad.  

The problem comes from the seat rails as I don't think they are a match.  I bet this guy did some kind of custom rail which like most aftermarket seat options for our car raises the seat hight to where you are nearly touching the roof.   

I found the best option by far is the S2k seats. Three mounting points that line up well and the third can be modified by either drilling a hole though the floor board or cutting the stock rail for the mount and have it welded to the S2k seat rail which I eventually did.  

The S2k also has a good seating hight and position that feels more stock than aftermarket which can feel very aftermarket cheap unless you buy a pair of Recaros.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2019 4:30 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

@dev

My initial research put the SLK seats pretty cheap. But in a serious search, the seats available are beaten. Regarding SK2 seats, these seats are far and few between, are unknown condition and have a cost that makes me think maybe Bride or something similar. But I like leather. That adds another layer.

I guess I'll stick with LSeat covers. Then put heaters... and gotta find padding for added bolster.  But then added material has to actually fit in the covers and stand the test of time. I've never seen completed covers that fit like OE. I figure because the final fitting needs some heat or allegedly steam to produce the right contour. I've not sleuthed that.  With my recent fiasco, I'm going to hold off buying anything else. Engine, trans, wheels, tires and full paint have been stressors for a happy wife. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 6, 2019 6:39 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

S2K seats are unfortunately some of the least comfortable stock seats I've ever sat in for any drive over 30 minutes. SLK seats look somewhat promising if you can make them fit. Would be nice for someone to pick a set up and give it a shot. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2019 7:15 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@haloruler64

Yet more evidence that opinions do vary. I really like the S2000 seats, even after many runs from Austin, TX, to San Francisco, CA. I am short, perhaps that is part of it. The S2000 overall fits me like a glove. (No OJ reference.)

I have tried many Porsche seats. I have to claim complete ignorance regarding Mercedes, however.

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2019 7:28 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Yeah both me (6') and my even taller friend who owned an S2K considered them very uncomfortable. Might be a tall person thing?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2019 7:43 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I’m 5,10, far from short however the S2k seats also fit well.  Seats are a personal choice and I got lucky because if they don’t feel right I will have to sell.  

I did have a pair of corbeau seats that were very comfortable however they bolstered me so well it locked me into the seat where I couldn’t move. I felt like I was in a straight jacket with no wiggle room that it drove me nuts.  Be carful with what you wish for, for a street car that doesn’t see the track.  Some of those racing seats in my opinion are made for hipsters with skinny jeans or young women.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 6, 2019 8:24 pm
Share: