Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Manual Shift Knobs You Have Known & Loved

(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

Afternoon Folks,

At some point here, I will be changing the OEM Toyota shift knob on my manual transmission shift lever to something different.  Given that there are so many different shift knob shapes, weights, textures, and materials, I don't want to make ---- possibly multiple ---- purchasing mistakes. So, before I make any purchases, I thought that I would ask folks to provide helpful feedback (including: knob shape, weight, and material; where their shift knobs can be bought; plus approximate knob purchase price) on knobs that they have used and really liked.

Yes I know that shift knob preference is highly subjective and, sometimes, can be almost impossible to quantify!

Additionally, I was going to see if there was any interest in setting up a "Shifter Knob Exchange?"

The way I envision the "Knob Exchange" is to model it after a pistol grip exchange  --- almost everybody who is into shooting pistols competitively have multiple pistol grips in their gun boxes --- I am familiar with from a gun forum I participate in. How It Would Work: if you have a knob you no longer use you could offer it for loan (later possibly, for sale), so that other forum members have an opportunity to "Try Before You Buy." Folks wanting to "Test Drive" your shift knobs would be responsible for putting a deposit down (if you so prefer) and paying two way shipping costs in full.

Please let me know your thoughts!

BTW, I just have the OEM 5 speed transmission shift knob, which I have been using on my 6 speed M/T.

Topic starter Posted : August 25, 2019 12:08 pm
Estimable Member

I have never used one of the Custom Redback Spider Shift Knobs ( http://www.customredback.com )  ---- approximately $94 in US dollars ----, but I sure like the way they look!

Redback 1
Redback 2
Redback 3

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 25, 2019 12:18 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I have the Audi TT shifter knob which I like very much. Very nice hard leather and it feels right in the hand.  It has a OEM look that is unassuming and not a themed.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2019 4:54 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I love my TRD Duracon knob. I used to be all about weighted knobs. Then I finally found this new for $100 after searching for ages and picked it up. It's super light, and I actually like it a lot. 

[img] [/img]

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2019 4:59 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @not-2-old-for-2-seater

I have never used one of the Custom Redback Spider Shift Knobs ( http://www.customredback.com )  ---- approximately $94 in US dollars ----, but I sure like the way they look!

Redback 1
Redback 2
Redback 3

I have one, on a yellow base, unfortunately I have not determined how to post pics. I added a yellow steering wheel center chicken to go with it.

if you decide to do it allow at least a month takes a while to clear customs.

the maker raises the spiders that he installs.

every once in a while it moves around, really freaks me out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2019 8:23 pm
Estimable Member

Very cool!

How is the hand feel and weight?

Paul

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 26, 2019 8:56 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @not-2-old-for-2-seater

Very cool!

How is the hand feel and weight?

Paul

It does well, feels comfortable, mine is on the stock shifter and I don’t see any diferance from the stock shifter knob other than it’s smooth and hard.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 27, 2019 8:19 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

I've got a weighted knob that a friend turned in a lathe for me on one spyder with a short shifter that I cut an inch off of.  I liked the feel of the whole setup quite a bit.  I've got a TRD leather knob for my other spyder but haven't installed it or the engine in that one. 

A suggestion I have is if you have a 6 speed, get the FRS/BRZ knob.  I really like it in my BRZ and the pattern matches the c series 6 speed as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 30, 2019 3:22 pm
Estimable Member

Actually the FRS/BRZ knob is the one that currently has caught my eye.  Like you say, it has the correct shift pattern.  I also like that it is one of the more weighty shift knobs out there.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 30, 2019 3:33 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member
9B97C54D 0AA3 44A7 ABD5 59D01E8B50CA

I finnally figured it out

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 10:24 am
Estimable Member

Very colorful!

Paul

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 6, 2019 11:33 am
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

I always wanted Redback - picked it all out with red and yellow, spider position everything. I just couldn't justify sight and feel unseen. So after playing with a friend's 2016

20190906 212205

Mustang GT, I bought an OE takeoff. Leather weighed, C66 6 speed shift pattern and comfortable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2019 9:22 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

I bought this one from MR2Heaven (about $60} after seeing a pic of it on marsrock's car.

Feels right, I think it is about 265 grams. With the TRD shifter the shifting is fabulous!

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by DesertWanderer

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2019 4:51 pm
marsrock7 reacted
Share: