Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Anything new in the way of battery relocation?

samxerxesn
(@samxerxesn)

Hi all, long time no see.

I picked up some facelift headlights and wanted to put some HIDs in them, but the best way to do this is to relocate the battery to the frunk to give the adapter power.
I realize this is a weird thing to post in suspension/handling, but most people relocate the battery for weight distribution reasons so I figured this was relevant.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was anything new in the world of battery relocation. I know most people made their own battery hold downs and ran thick wires the length of the car. Does anyone make a kit for this now, and as far as the batter itself goes what's the news on those lightweight batteries people were looking at?

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Topic starter Posted : February 19, 2021 7:10 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Its still DIY and its not easy or even worth it since there are better options with lightweight batteries. 

I had a small battery located to the frunk for years that was mounted where the power steering pump use to be. It was not a good decision because the puny wiring that in the rear of the car needs all of the help it can get and adding more distance from the battery  needs a thick power wire and the grounding location in the front is not ideal. It can create longer paths which are unnecessary and some sag in the system if you use a light weight battery.  If you use a full size battery in the frunk it would be better. I went back to the rear of the car with a lithium battery and things improved.  0 gauge wire is what  I used to run to the front of the car and it weighs quite a bit that it wasn't worth it. 

As far powering  electronics up front you can simple run a 4 or 8 gauge power wire from the rear to the front depending on your amperage demands.  I have a four gauge that I run up front for my amp that is in the frunk, subwoofer and head unit.  

I hope you don't mind as Im going to move this topic to the electronics part of the forum. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2021 11:37 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Hi Sam!  I know nothing about your question.   I just wanted to say hi and welcome back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2021 6:59 pm
turbo_jimbo reacted
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

I feel like there is better options for this. Relocating a battery should be for only a couple reasons. 

1 weight distribution / corner balancing

2 safety  

Putting the battery in the front might help with 1, but not with 2 as its already safe in the rear. That said, Why not run a power wire to your HID's rather that to your starter and alternator from 19 feet away?

YMMV

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2021 2:09 am
Share: