Hello There, Guest!

Welcome to the forum!

Will there be a vendor's fee to sell on MR2ner?
Uncle Mush

Nov 2016
Thought I would pose this question as we enter a new age . . . "Will there be a vendor's fee for commercial sales on MR2ner?"  Geez . . . I wonder if I am posting this in the wrong section.  Oh well, if it is in the wrong place, it will give me the opportunity to see if I can edit and change things once I have posted.  Thanks.
lordtakuban
Admin

Nov 2016
Right now, I would like it to remain somewhat how it was on Spyderweb. I don't think there should be a "Sponsorship Fee" or anything like that to be able to sell. My goal, and I believe Pattielipp's goal as well, is to make this a truly free community for all involved. So, I would like to have commercial vendors list their products for free. The only "cost" would be that they will lose their privileges to post should they become an un-trustworthy vendor or try to spam non-commercial forums with threads and posts.

As of right now, I'm not incurring any additional costs to what I would already be paying for my other hosting and websites. And the forum software is open source. It is only costing time on mine and Pattielipp's part. More on Pattielipp since he has been working much more getting the forum in shape than I have. If this site grows so much that it forces us into a more robust hosting plan that incurs more costs, I'd like to present the info to the community and see what people think would be the best way to keep it going. I would prefer individual donations or something else entirely (Fundraiser at the Bus Station?).

Anyway, the short answer is that I don't want there to be vendor fees at all and will do everything I can to prevent that from happening. Having vendor fees make it difficult for new and innovative ideas to be brought to the community. In the old days of SC, it was $20/thread. So someone would have to be able to make XX number of products to offset that cost. It was small enough though, that it allowed Keyhole Covers to become a household name, I was able to start selling my antennas and other products (remember my Kick Panels from way back? They are now being duplicated/iterated over in the UK these days). But an even better option than $20 is $0. And that's where it will stay.

I won't speak for Pattielipp on the absoluteness of this decision, but that is my stance.
LT Short Antennas and more available at Takuban Motorsports
Dev

Nov 2016
I think a good model for us is MR2ROC. where they don't have any commercial fees but you have to request before you post.

Some basic guidelines so only car related items are sold.
We could also do it like some other forums where fees are paid by corporate sponsorships only and that money is used to support the site so it's self-sustaining.
pattielipp
Admin

Nov 2016
I like the thought of being free, and I like the thought of requesting permissions so keep things clean. It's easy enough to lock down a parti ular thread and only allow permissions on a "per user basis", so no big deal there. For now, I'm not to worried, at least not until we start taking on members.
lordtakuban
Admin

Nov 2016
I could see taking in money from corporate sponsorships. But having to request to be able to post is definitely where I'd like to start. Then, if someone abuses the privilege of being able to post commercial threads, their privileges can be revoked. The main thing I want to do is to promote creativity and ability for small products to come to market.
Dev

Nov 2016
(11-25-2016, 11:35 PM)LordTakuban Wrote: I could see taking in money from corporate sponsorships. But having to request to be able to post is definitely where I'd like to start. Then, if someone abuses the privilege of being able to post commercial threads, their privileges can be revoked. The main thing I want to do is to promote creativity and ability for small products to come to market.

It's important and I agree. The reason why I mentioned asking for permission before hand is to prevent a company from not following the rules that may have intentions of frauding others. Those that have bad intentions will disregard the rules and will be easy to catch.
These corporate vendors also need to be researched to make sure they are safe and serious about selling .
On the last board, I had to turn down a vendor because they had a bad reputation else where.
pattielipp
Admin

Nov 2016
I have modified the permissions of this thread/subthread. Only those allowed/added into a special "Vendor" group have access to post in here from now on. Dev, I will add you as well as LT.
lordtakuban
Admin

Nov 2016
Excellent. I think these commercial sales rules will serve the community well.
Dev

Nov 2016
Great. I like the way it is written.
Gts*Jason

Nov 2016
IMO there should be some kind of vetting of vendors. They had that one guy who tried to cut in on Mikes business and had that hard top fiasco.