[Sticky] Submit your glamour shots!

Page 14 / 29
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @ria

@dev

They still have the Lockheed SR-71 (Blackbird) on display? That, the Air France Concorde and the Boeing B-29 (Enola Gay) were always my favorite planes to check out. Also helps that I really like the transformers movies and the blackbird is in one of them. 

The SR-71 was covered.  The Concorde is there but its much worse now because  there is too many planes obstructing the view at just about every angle.  It was much better when they first opened.  Actually on the whole there are just too many planes that are crammed in that its not as nice as it use to be.  If they expanded the  museum that would be great but as it is now its way too congested. 

The really odd thing is when you are there the planes look smaller than they actually are like they are not to scale especially when they are hanging from the roof.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2020 3:09 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

This focal expander is worth it.  I wasn't liking my new Voiglander 58mm Nocton lens before but now that its at the right focal length its giving out the goods. The image quality is good but the way the lens looks on the camera is ascetically so beautiful it caught the attention of someone who came up to me to find out what kind of camera I was using with a comment that it looks great.  This is not good because I do not want to be noticed while taking pictures so it fails in this area for being the John Gotti of lenses. I may have to find away of camouflaging the camera so it looks cheap. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2020 1:08 pm
CSPIDY and RIA reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Table Rock State Park, outside Greenville SC. Taken with my trusty Samsung J7, which apparently has a decent camera (for a phone).

20200906 170522
20200906 164808

The second one needs cropping; way too centered, and the "frame" is rather uninteresting, especially the top.

Composition of the first one is pretty good right outta the box, tho. Just wanna wade right into that pool, don't ya?

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2020 10:12 pm
T-bone reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @dev
Posted by: @marsrock7

@dev any Neowise shots yet? 

I might try. I never did astral photography before.  I do have a lens that can do it. From what I understand not all lenses are capable because of a lens issue called coma. 

Assuming you mean astrophotography, that's a whole different game. I had a nice telescope when I was a young man back in the 80s -- a Meade 8" Schmidt Cassegrain (200 mm aperture, f/10) on a heavy equatorial mount, with adapters for 35 mm. Shot most things with 400 or 1000 speed film, a virtual requirement at the time. Youre dealing with very dim subjects, especially at F10.

Since you have (had) to do 20, 30 minute, or even longer exposures, even with that beast of a mount, I would get vibration just from breathing, transmitted through the ground! And, since alignment to the earth's axis is critical, and largely impossible to get it perfect, you also needed a little dual axis control box, servos, and an illuminated retical on a smaller spotting scope mounted to the main to keep it pointed just right.

Not for the impatient, underfunded, or undedicated. After all that, light pollution just Fks up the shot anyway. Its more about the challenge. Nowadays, digital has changed that, but I understand it is still challenging.

I got one or two decent pictures of the Orion Nebula, and the Andromeda Galaxy. Several good pics of the moon, which doesnt require tracking.

Or, you can go un-tracked with a fixed mount and do the circles/arcs with a nighttime landscape, but... meh. Thats not astro, IMO.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2020 10:40 pm
RIA reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nottamiata
Posted by: @dev
Posted by: @marsrock7

@dev any Neowise shots yet? 

I might try. I never did astral photography before.  I do have a lens that can do it. From what I understand not all lenses are capable because of a lens issue called coma. 

Assuming you mean astrophotography, that's a whole different game. I had a nice telescope when I was a young man back in the 80s -- a Meade 8" Schmidt Cassegrain (400 mm aperture, f/10) on a heavy equatorial mount, with adapters for 35 mm. Shot most things with 400 or 1000 speed film, a virtual requirement at the time. Youre dealing with very dim subjects, especially at F10.

Since you have (had) to do 20, 30 minute, or even longer exposures, even with that beast of a mount, I would get vibration just from breathing, transmitted through the ground! And, since alignment to the earth's axis is critical, and largely impossible to get it perfect, you also needed a little dual axis control box, servos, and an illuminated retical on a smaller spotting scope mounted to the main to keep it pointed just right.

Not for the impatient, underfunded, or undedicated. After all that, light pollution just Fks up the shot anyway. Its more about the challenge. Nowadays, digital has changed that, but I understand it is still challenging.

I got one or two decent pictures of the Orion Nebula, and the Andromeda Galaxy. Several good pics of the moon, which doesnt require tracking.

Or, you can go un-tracked with a fixed mount and do the circles/arcs with a nighttime landscape, but... meh. Thats not astro, IMO.

As I mentioned  don’t know anything about it but I decided not to do it for the fear of risking damage to my sensor which is not a cheap to replace.  Too long of an exposure can cause burn in and hot pixel damage so it wasn’t advised. I can always use one of the other cheap cameras that I own but it will not have the resolution to make anything I would like, it’s also not a kind photography I’m particularly into. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2020 11:49 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

Only time I've done night sky photography was when I was backpacking in the dolly sods wilderness. No light pollution at all because middle of nowhere. I never realized how truly wondrous the sky was until I spent a weekend out there. It's amazing that such a priceless and natural thing is almost never visible in it's true form. But hey, that's the price of a light in the dark haha.

My setup was setting my focus ring to infinite, opening up aperture, choosing 30s shutter speed, and laying the camera faceup on a rock. 400 iso film if I recall correctly. I'm gonna try and scrounge up the photo and post it here.

Nothing special but here it is. Keep in mind that I had to make this a png and compress it like crazy to get the file size under 5 megs since the photo is so large.

Various other pics from same trip: Again, compressed like crazy

s4

f017
f018
s1
f019
s5
s0
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 12:05 am
T-bone reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Welcome to the Bay Area. Love how the birds blurred due to the low shutter speed I used.

DSD 8431 1
DSD 8429 1

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 1:17 am
RIA reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@ria

What are you using for conversions.  I think we might have discussed this before, Im using a macro lens with a slide converter that gives film its justice.  

I have a more modern EOS film SLR camera that is gathering dust and since all my lenses work on it I might try some film photography.  The last time that camera was used was 2003. Im planing to use Fujifilm film and compare it to my Fujifilm film simulation just out of curiosity to see what the difference is.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 9:52 am
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

the image is more spectacular  than the photo.  Penny found on cabinet in my bar. I take it off the cabinet and place on the bar to put in my penny jar later (so I remember it). having a conversation at the same time and having the penny between my thumb and index finger i put it on its edge and removed my hands interested in if it would fall heads or tails

neither was the outcome

IMG 1433
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 10:48 am
RIA reacted
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@dev

Nikon Coolscan IV ED. It's a dedicated 35mm film scanner. Scans a 35mm slide as a almost 5000 by whatever size. Each scan as a Tiff is over a gig. When compressing the night sky shot down to under 5 Meg's, looks like it picked up a lot of rgb noise hahahhaaa. Actual scan doesn't have that.

Its nice cus you can leave the film in 6 slide strips and it auto scans through them. I then do the negative to positive flip and color balancing in gimp (free photoshop basically)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 12:21 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@haloruler64

Getting a very Edgar Allan Poe vibe from these pics haha

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 12:28 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I have two more from the Air and Space.  One was with the Tamron 45 and the other with the Nikon 20mm wide angle. I had a picture with out the guy with the face mask but I felt that the subject in the photo makes it a time stamp.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 12:59 pm
T-bone reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Hoping this is not considered spam but saw this and knowing some coffee lovers are into Photography

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 11, 2020 9:06 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @t-bone

Hoping this is not considered spam but saw this and knowing some coffee lovers are into Photography

This intrigues me because this is a homage for the Leica 50mm f.95 Noctilux lens that is way over priced. I believe in the neighborhood of $12,000. 

Although it is built like a faberge egg it's usually consumed by  extremely rich  that have to have it for the sake of having it because of its speed but its usefulness is in question because it's a one trick pony meant more for showing it off like jewelry than actually shooting it wide open.  Leica does make exceptional  cameras and lenses but what they charge for them doesn't match up.  It is said in most circles that if their prices were more realistic based on what you get for your money the rich wouldn't be interested.  It's not a sour grapes thing its more of a life style thing similar to lens hipsters.  

Its nice to see that an over the top lens has its own coffee mug. I have a few Canon L lens coffee mugs and the attention to detail is pretty good. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 11, 2020 9:39 am
T-bone reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

This 20mm Nikon kicks butt.  The colors and over all look is supreme.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 11, 2020 5:16 pm
T-bone reacted
Page 14 / 29
Share: