Clear all

Snelbaard's eternal project car

Page 3 / 4
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @snelbaard

I spend quite a lot of time on the highway and so when I had my 2ZZ swapped in, I chose to keep my C66 gearbox as it has pretty long gearing. I kind of regret doing that though, the final drive makes it so that the first few gears are really too long to get the most out of hitting lift.

So I figure I can just get the C64 gearbox which has markedly shorter (final) gearing, and drop in the C66 sixth gear so that I retain at least some hearing. I've been trying out several configurations on my highly scientifically accurate simulator (Forza Motorsport 3) and this really seems like the way to go! 

This would be the new gearing with the stripes representing the gearing as it currently is. 

You are basically getting the C60 gearbox but with a shorter 6th gear with the C64. This would improve your 2ZZ swap quiet a bit because these ratios are designed around this engine and adding in a taller gear for 6th would be perfect for highway use. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2020 10:40 am
marsrock7 and Snelbaard reacted
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev

I felt that if it were to have restored the roll center it would have been more popular but thats not what they do

In fact they make it ´worse´ following thát reasoning. Yet Toyota went into the trouble of including this when mounted invisible spacer. 

Anway we can agree to disagree: You follow the obviously incorrect roll centre restoring logic, I adhere to the roll center balance tuning.

Because the other guys did not figure it out Toyota must be wrong and now I must be wrong. Well I am ok with that 😉  

Bottom line is that I dó explain a coherent logic and the things are availeble. Tioli; fit them or not 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2020 10:47 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @petrus
Posted by: @dev

I felt that if it were to have restored the roll center it would have been more popular but thats not what they do

In fact they make it ´worse´ following thát reasoning. Yet Toyota went into the trouble of including this when mounted invisible spacer. 

Anway we can agree to disagree: You follow the obviously incorrect roll centre restoring logic, I adhere to the roll center balance tuning.

Because the other guys did not figure it out Toyota must be wrong and now I must be wrong. Well I am ok with that 😉  

Bottom line is that I dó explain a coherent logic and the things are availeble. Tioli; fit them or not 👍 

Again its not that Toyota is wrong but without the context of the kit as a whole it can be wrong in another application.  There are a lot more variables at play. Just adding the spacer without understanding what it's actually doing is the wrong way of going about it just because TRD decided to use them in the entire kit as a whole. If Toyota sold them as a separate part outside of the kit then a good argument could be made or if they correct the bad effects of lowering, thats not the case here.  On other platforms roll center tuning is usually done to fix issues with lowering the car by restoring the roll center close to factory specification because there are adverse effects with lowering like bump steer and excessive roll.  Actually come to think of it there was a kit that was sold long ago that did just that for the front with revised ball joints but even that wasn't very popular except for extreme cases. There was also a proposal for the rear as well that fell on deaf years simply because no one really slams their car except those that don't really care about handling. 

https://www.nengun.com/moonface/front-rollcenter-adjuster-pro

From what I read lowering the roll center by way of lowering the car has an adverse effect of creating more roll.  When a researched coil over system is made they take this into account and chose the right spring rates to compensate for lowering. If you decide to lower the subframe further you could possibly make it worse thereby creating more roll and changing the camber curves.  People should at least know that there might be negative consequences when you use them a separate piece but at the same time there is nothing wrong with trying them, but to assume they are a benefit just because TRD used them as part of the kit is not the way to go about advocating for them as they are highly debatable because they do the opposite of what you want. No one wants to lower their roll center, its not a thing in suspension tuning, its a consequence. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2020 12:27 pm
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

Guys I was hoping we could keep this thread mainly reserved for the discussion of my car and its upgrades, maybe the subframe spacer discussion deserves its own thread?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 9, 2020 12:44 pm
Uncle Mush and pwnzor reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @snelbaard

Guys I was hoping we could keep this thread mainly reserved for the discussion of my car and its upgrades, maybe the subframe spacer discussion deserves its own thread?

Sure thing.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2020 12:55 pm
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

After about two months in the mail, a tiny rubber H-profile arrived in the mail today. With this, I could finish my prototype antenna hole cover. And here it is:

Pleased with how it looks, but it's going to be a real pain in the behind to install without being able to get your hands on the inside of the panel.. 

Also installed EBC yellowstuff pads and braided brake lines today, should make a good bit of difference! Just need to break them in for a couple of hundred miles.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2020 2:43 pm
pwnzor reacted
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

Well that wasn't a big succes. As suspected, the little rubber strip was too fiddly for my sausage fingers. So I decided to go another route, which actually turned out to be the best option by far. I'm very pleased with the result, it's barely detectable from only a few steps away!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 6, 2020 11:29 am
WilcoMR-S and marsrock7 reacted
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

Where/how do I get one of these antenna hole covers???

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2020 10:07 am
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

Well I can make you one! Mind you, it'll be a bit fiddly to install, I can only make them in black, and you'll need some mastic. Also I don't know how it'll stand the test of time but I don't suspect this'll be a problem. I'll contact you when I have prepared all the bits in the coming few days.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 8, 2020 2:00 pm
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

Seeing as I run my hardtop permanently, I thought it might be a good idea to replace the latches with permanent brackets. Not only will that save some weight (the latches were surprisingly hefty), it will also add some rigidity and put an end to the persistent rattling the latches made. 

I wanted to get a bracket kit by Rogue Motorsport but they didn't respond to my emails, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and just make the brackets myself. Turned out pretty good! Does everything I wanted and looks alright for handmade bits. Next step is to make some CAD drawings for others who might be interested.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2020 4:34 pm
haloruler64 and dev reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

for the side posts also?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2020 6:39 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Brave man, removing the bolts from the hardtop! 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2020 11:05 pm
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

@mrsponz

Not yet, those weren't giving me issues. But might look into it.

@haloruler64

Why does that make me brave, are they notorious for some reason? I know the torx bolts on the bracket that's mounted on the window frame have a tendency to strip. That's happened to me on the passenger side, had to weld something onto the bolt heads to get them out.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 17, 2020 6:40 am
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

Those are proper looking brackets, well done.  

I'd definitely want some, if only I had a hard top.  Sadly, the wife has vetoed the purchase and it's not a hill I want to die on.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2020 8:59 am
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

Hey man, did you see the DM I sent you on June 9th about the antenna hole covers? Still available if you're interested 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 17, 2020 9:13 am
Page 3 / 4
Share: