Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Haloruler64's 2000 MR2 Spyder build thread

Page 6 / 6
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

If it still keeps giving you trouble, let me know and I'll see if there's maybe something blocking it.    Ad-Blockers, while not necessary on this website since there will never be ads, don't interfere with any of the plugins like attachments, etc.  I currently have U-Block Origin running on this computer and I run that one plus AdBlock Plus on my other computer.  Neither one of those has caused any issues that I've noticed.  So you shouldn't need to turn those off to use the site.  I generally use FireFox.  So if you are using Chrome or another browser, let me know and I'll see if I can troubleshoot with you.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2022 9:59 am
haloruler64 reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @haloruler64

Thanks LT. I'll have to try to recreate the posts here in a bit. 

Uncle Mush that's awesome! Did you get that fancy sunroof that goes frosted? 

I used a DA polisher. A cheap Porter Cable with a 5" backing pad.

No we got the mid-range model.  I didn't even know there was a fancy version with fancy frosted sun roof!  🙂    At the time we purchased, there were so few cars available that we had to put down a $500 deposit and then wait about a month until it came in to even see the model.  No regrets  We are really enjoying the Venza.  It is a very comfortable ride and with the hybrid, it gets great gas mileage.  Thanks for the info about using a DA with that special glaze.  Much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2022 10:15 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Great to hear! I was really considering a Venza but ended up not being able to wait for it to launch. I'm a big fan though.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 25, 2022 11:17 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

I love the Venza as well! Great Choice!

I went to order a new Tundra recently. I saw the bottom line and went to Autotrader. I found a one owner 2004 Tundra with 209,000 miles for $5000. It has the 2UZ-FE engine like my bought new 4runner that now has 450,000 miles on the original engine. Toyota FTW!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 27, 2022 2:07 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

My 1999 Tacoma has 208,000 on it and the only two repairs thus far were to the driver's side door when an electric lock actuator needed to be replaced and earlier this year when there was a problem with the emissions sensor (don't remember the specific component that was actually causing the problem, but after replacing about 3 different components and some rubber tubing, the problem was fixed (by a professional mechanic).  So far, this 23 year old truck has performed like a champ and cost less than $1500 in repairs.  I still get questioned from time to time if I would like to sell my Tacoma.  The mechanic who worked on the emissions problem told me that he drives the same vehicle because he is a mechanic and the last thing he wants to do when he gets off work is to work on vehicles and that's why he drives that year Tacoma.  "They're bullet proof."  So far, so good -- at least that has been my experience.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 27, 2022 4:32 pm
LordTakuban reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Ok finally getting to posting everything here. 

Bi-annual update time. A lot has happened actually. I detailed the car, two stage polish and two layers of sealant.

New side markers, clear but retain the retroreflector. New fender turn signals, they're chasing LEDs. Fitment is bad, but they look nice.

MR2sdays are always a good time.

New floor mats, since mine were DESTROYED since I got the car eight years ago. They're from MR2 Heaven. Mediocre quality, but they are decent. Had to add a grommet myself.

Did the upside down spare mod to make room for more stuff for track days. Just threaded the rod down further, then cut the end off.

Hit Thunderhill West for the first time in like five or six years. It was a BLAST, the car performed beautifully. Balance was stellar. Brakes gave out, started smoking and the pads disintegrated. Went from 80% pad life to basically nothing. They were not meant for the track. And then... the fresh axle boot exploded. Literally exploded. This was what was left.

The rest was simply gone. Drove home two and a half hours and surprisingly the axle showed minimal signs of heat damage and had no clicking. Put on a new OEM boot, but this time with Red Line CV-2 high temp grease. But I did get this amazing photo out of it.

I also got new track brakes. Porterfield R4 pads for the rear and Raybestos ST-43 pads for the front Wilwood calipers at the advice of Joe McGuigan. And bought some race numbers, because the tape numbers didn't stick to my paint sealant.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 30, 2022 4:45 am
LordTakuban and CSPIDY reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

The next track day was a historic one. The first track night at Thunderhill outside of the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. Of course I jumped on it. But as a joke, I decided to add Jeep-like pod lights to my roll bar. It was hilarious. Wired them into the thick gauge hot for my amp.

Track photos!

Then my alternator died. Voltage dropping, accessories shutting off. Went to Walmart, got a new battery, did one more run on the track because I could not pass up the first night run at Thunderhill. Then went home.

50 miles into the trip, my radio shuts off. Then my interior lights. I turn on my hazards. Those shut off. Ok this is bad. I call my friend who's behind me in a BRZ and told him, the car's done, we gotta get to the nearest gas station. That's 1.5 miles away. He turned on his hazards and we soldiered on. It's HOT but I close my windows because I know that I won't be able to later. The engine starts dying on me... Then my headlights turn off and the engine fires right back up. It's 1 AM, I'm doing 40 down a completely dark highway driving with just the halos lighting up the road. Thankfully those are on a custom circuit and stayed on. I pull into the gas station as the car dies.

Got home safely, that's all that matters. AAA free tow, just over 100 miles but they ignored the extra two miles. Got home around 3 AM. Honestly... that's as successful a track day as one could hope for! Historic event, and the BEST damn photos I've ever seen. Dream accomplished.

The event was great. No one was really going for personal bests, it was very festive and people had all kinds of crazy light setups. It was a great time.

Since then, I put in a reman Denso alternator and went to an autocross. Had a great time at my first autocross in ages, even though I can't say my driving was great. I was just having fun. Got to drive a V8 Mustang and I'm officially a convert. Unfortunately, the newly rebooted axle started slinging grease. Not sure why, it's coming out of the BIG end of the boot. Like, it's nice and tight, but at high load it seems to sling from a gap between the axle and the boot. The boot is not torn. Very annoying. I'm going to try a new tighter clamp.

I also picked up a 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport as a daily since my MR2 kept breaking. Fun car, very comfortable, Circuit Red interior, and the fuel economy is awesome.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 30, 2022 4:47 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Pic from autocross

20220716 112711 2

When I was under the car replacing the boot clamp, I noticed something crazy. The Che rear brace arms (between the cross member and the inner rear trailing arm mounts) are showing wear marks on both sides. There's a gash right under the transmission as well as a chip in the trans casing. On the other side, a big wear mark... right at the big side of the boot that's slinging grease. I guess I didn't realize the engine shifts plenty enough to damage it. I removed those stupid braces, put a new tighter clamp on the axle, and did some hard driving. No slinging! Went down to Canepa Motorsports to see the new Gordon Murray T.50 with a drive down Skyline and it was a blast. 

original 52029522 fee4 4499 95cf 3edab2c86198 20220822 092053
original d562774c 20e9 47cd 9982 a6e15d2a5f7c 20220806 194549

Some more pics of the UX

20220809 190732 2
20220809 191827 2

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 30, 2022 4:57 am
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Car looks great that blue still shines bright after all these years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 30, 2022 9:01 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Great pics!  I like the KC Light bar thing.  Definitely a cool look.  I'm glad you got the pics to post on here.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2022 2:11 pm
haloruler64 reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Thanks LT! Site working perfectly now.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 2, 2022 4:40 am