Aokumo: Restoration...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Aokumo: Restoration now, turbo 2ZZ later?

Page 2 / 3
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I've gotta know . . . what kid of cake was it (the 3-layer one) and did it make it home okay.  🤔 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2021 10:34 am
(@randman2011)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @galo
Posted by: @randman2011

because he could make stupid faces at all of the other cars on the road.

P 20211207 154643

So, was that your husband making the faces, or the dog... 😉 😉 🤣  Your doggy is great! He was so friendly, wagging his tail and his entire body when you opened the gate! He didn't seem to mind when I told him I'm a retired Mailman!!!

Did you take your grandma for a ride? She would have had a great time!

Keep me posted!

She's in a boot after breaking her foot so probably best to wait until she's good to walk around on her own before I sling her around in the passenger seat of the Spyder...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 14, 2021 2:43 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@randman2011 if you haven't purchased new drain bags yet, I think I have a set I pulled off a junkyard car. 

Also, that ragtop looks a lot like mine did when I got the car 4 years ago. Sure don't miss that.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2021 2:49 pm
(@randman2011)
Eminent Member

@uncle-mush The top and bottom layers were cherry cake and the middle layer was Ghirardelli dark chocolate. Cherry icing with maraschino cherries on top. I asked my family and apparently no one took any pictures, but it made it home without issue! The space formally occupied by the parcel shelf and top is pretty handy!

EDIT:

signal 2021 12 14 140831

@marsrock7 The tracking says ETA is Thursday. $150 for new bags and rain rail; I'm happy to pay that for fresh new parts and not have to drill out any rivets. Plus an opportunity to get another blue eagle badge! I appreciate the offer, though.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 14, 2021 3:07 pm
Uncle Mush and marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Can't argue with new!

Will definitely be checking out your AZ-1 thread as well

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2021 3:18 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

@randman2011  Congratulations on getting that spectacular cake home in great shape!  That's quite a feat!  It looks and sounds delicious.  Happy birthday?  Also I went to the thread you posted in another thread about your AZ-1.  I was not familiar with the vehicle.  OMG  what a cool little car.  I had about a 45 minute span of time where I was lusting after them and wanted one for myself.  Thankfully, that passed and my bank account is once again safe. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 15, 2021 12:14 am
randman2011 reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

UM, the AZ almost makes a Spyder look small. randman, that cake looks terrific... and I hope your grandma heals quickly!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 15, 2021 8:47 pm
randman2011 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

UM, the AZ almost makes a Spyder look small. randman, that cake looks terrific... and I hope your grandma heals quickly!

Did a Spyder not look small before?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2021 5:34 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @marsrock7

Did a Spyder not look small before?

Not next to a Miata, an AH Sprite or a Triumph Spitfire.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2021 9:41 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@randman2011)
Eminent Member

I finally started posting my life story over on Opposite-Lock here: https://opposite-lock.com/topic/31193/dsm-or-how-ruining-my-life-was-the-best-decision-that-i-ever-made-part-1-catching-a-disease

The two parts that I have posted already go up to 2012 and I have only written up through 2018 so I've got some more work to do getting it all online, but I'm working on it again after a two year hiatus.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 18, 2021 11:24 am
(@randman2011)
Eminent Member
P 20211219 154823 001

It's not much, but I was working on removing the badges and realized that the Gooo Gone adhesive remover that I used will stain the paint if left on (apologies to my van) so I had to wash the car yesterday. First time since I've owned it, but I got a lot of weird looks while I was out there. Both because it doesn't have a top and also because it was 2C outside. Here's the new front badge that I installed.

P 20211219 160529

I have a second one of those badges. I was thinking about snipping off the alignment posts and putting it centered on the rear, but I haven't decided yet. I removed the Toyota and MR2 badges so all that's left back there is Spyder at the moment.

I just removed the front badge in the cold and it left a small amount of residue. When I removed the badges at the rear I broke out the hairdryer to soften things up and it actually made it worse. They left a monumental amount of adhesive on the paint. Additional heat and a plastic scraper got everything down to just a hard, crusty outline of each letter. The internet recommended WD-40 which did absolutely nothing. Then I remembered my Goo Gone, which helped a little but there was still a prominent crusty outline. I resigned to having to have the car professionally detailed to resolve it, so I went to wash it just to protect the paint from the solvents and that somehow took all of the residue off without even scrubbing. Perhaps it was the additional time for the Goo Gone to work (10 minutes on top of the original 20) or my Meguiar's "shampoo" is worth it's weight in gold, but either way I am happy that's behind me.

Parts for the top came in early last week. 65679-17011 and 65689-17011 are indeed those vinyl bags that I needed, but 65758-17010 is not the rain rail. It's the soft synthetic fabric cover over the rain rail, which is disappointing because it was very expensive. So I guess I'll have to drill those rivets out after all. I haven't had time to fool with it at all and it hasn't been cold enough that I can't drive it with no top, but maybe I'll get back to it the week after Christmas. I'm off for the week and the husband is not.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 20, 2021 11:45 am
Galo and CSPIDY reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Here's a pick of the back of my Spyder with the centered MR-S "chrome" logo on the rear bumper cover to give you an idea of what that looks like:

C 6 compressed

Over the years, I have found that there are a couple of different size MR-S "Chrome" badges floating around out there.  This was the larger of the two.  If I remember correctly, I purchased this one from someone on eBay and I think it may have actually come directly from Japan.  Not sure. That was a long time ago.  🙂

I enjoy reading your posts.  Thanks for being a photojournalist of the work you are doing on your Spyder. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2021 11:54 pm
randman2011 reacted
(@randman2011)
Eminent Member

@uncle-mush Thanks for this! I am undecided between your location, this location at the very top of the bumper, or nothing at all.

1942 C6 compressed~2

Seeing a badge in that bottom location helps a lot! I'll go ahead and clip the alignment posts off of the badge that I have and see where I like better.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 21, 2021 12:19 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

UM you are a mad modder if I dare say so

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2021 5:12 pm
Galo and Uncle Mush reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @randman2011

@uncle-mush Thanks for this! I am undecided between your location, this location at the very top of the bumper, or nothing at all.

1942 C6 compressed~2

Seeing a badge in that bottom location helps a lot! I'll go ahead and clip the alignment posts off of the badge that I have and see where I like better.

For the size badge that I used, if I recall correctly, I didn't like the way the badge was going to have to go up higher on that part of the bumper skin you drew the circle.  There is a curve right in the middle of that upper section and I think I had concerns that the curve would not allow me to center the badge exactly where I wanted it -- in the middle.  There again, that is all from memory and the Spyder is out in the garage covered-up and enjoying it's winter nap at the moment.  I am too lazy to go out and take a look to see if my memory serves me correctly. 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2021 1:21 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: