Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Testing 303 SiO2 Touchless Sealant (it really is touchless)

Page 1 / 2
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I love detailing cars. Well, small cars. I detail the MR2. But my Lexus... she gets no love. I wash her a couple times a year, as the Atomic Silver paint really hides dirt all too well. So I bought the laziest product known to man: 303 SiO2 Touchless Sealant. 

Its promises seemed too good to be true. Wash your car, spray one panel while wet, thoroughly rinse off with a hose, and move onto the next panel. No buffing, no waiting to dry, no work at all. You'll instantly see beading. It also claims to last for 6 months. But SiO2 (which is not ceramic even if some companies like to use that buzzword) is the new craze, and 303 is a respectable company that puts out solid products with no marketing BS. So I picked up a bottle back when it was $25. 

The Lexus hadn't been washed in a good 9+ months. It hadn't been waxed in maybe 2 years, so the surface was TRULY unprotected. Water didn't bead or sheet off, just stuck. I washed the car thoroughly, rinsed it, and sprayed one panel. When I went to rinse this panel, water was beading better than if I had waxed it! I did the whole car and it was beading like mad. Headlights, windows, everything. 

SiO2 products tend to cure over the course of a week, so I took this video a week after. 

Incredible right? Especially for a touchless product. But durability without buffing was suspect. So I proceeded to not wash my car for the last three and a half months. For science. Not laziness. Absolutely not. It's spent half the time outside, and it's parked outdoors at work exposed to sun. The air in SF is dirty so it gets dusty and nasty. The windshield wipers get used a lot so the windshield gets a lot of friction. Here's a photo of the roof after the rains after three and a half months. 

IMG 20191218 131322

And another, 3 months in. 

IMG 20191130 151236

And have a more freshly treated MR2 for fun.

IMG 20191126 165331

I also drove the car during the rain. This stuff does wonders on windows. On the freeway during moderate rain I could see better without wipers. It just runs up and off. 

As you can see, it's amazing. I love this stuff. Lazy man's dream. It leaves a slick finish and dust just doesn't stick. Quick detailers make quick work of light dust and grime. And hey, it's now cheaper at a bit over $18 a bottle. I'm gonna use it every ~4 months on the Lexus and I top the MR2's AMMO SKIN sealant and Megs Ultimate Wax off with the stuff to keep the lower layers fresh and lasting longer. 

Here are a few tips. Do NOT do it in the sun. Make sure you're in the shade and the panels are cool. This is a very sensitive product, and if it dries, it WILL spot. And SiO2 is difficult to remove, often requiring polishing. Dawn won't cut it. Second, don't give it more than 20 seconds on the panel. I spray it, wait 5-10 seconds, and rinse off. Third, rinse thoroughly and rinse surrounding areas to get everything off. It rinses off white so you can tell once the panel is clean. 

https://amzn.to/2PYK0hW

PS: This is an affiliate link. It makes no difference to you guys, the price is the same. But if you use it, I would get a couple quarters for the trouble. If this isn't ok with you, please let me know and I'll remove it. Obviously I didn't write this just to use an affiliate link, but since I have an affiliate account for my job, why not use it right? 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

Topic starter Posted : December 19, 2019 6:27 am
WilcoMR-S reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Thanks for the review.   I just ordered a bottle to try on our Prius V.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 19, 2019 10:08 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Great review and I will probably pick up some of this stuff for my Lexus.  

I use a wipe on walk away product f0r many years ( Ultima Paint Guard Plus) and im still on the same bottle for all these years simply because you are supposed to use very little.   This stuff is better than any wax or sealant I have ever used for its look and for how long it lasts. The last time I did a coating was two years ago and its still on the car.  

About eight years ago a product came into the detailing community which was a revolutionary product where you add the fluid to your pressure hose and spray the car then rinse it immediately which gave you the same effect as the WOWA products but it was easier  but it fell out of popularity because not everyone has a high pressure washer.  

Its good to see they have a product now that can do this.  These newer sealants are just amazing and its very hard to get them off the paint and why would you want to as they can preserve paint from decay.    

I imagine the next evolution will be the stuff in the actual car shampoo.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 19, 2019 11:18 am
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

Used your link.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 19, 2019 12:29 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I wish I had a pressure washer. Dev what Lexus do you have? I don't think I ever knew you had a Lexus. 

I was very doubtful but I genuinely think SiO2 changed the game. Not just with this touchless one, but the SiO2 sealants that you apply like wax (and they buff easy, unlike AMMO SKIN). I haven't tried those yet but I will!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 19, 2019 7:52 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @haloruler64

I wish I had a pressure washer. Dev what Lexus do you have? I don't think I ever knew you had a Lexus. 

I was very doubtful but I genuinely think SiO2 changed the game. Not just with this touchless one, but the SiO2 sealants that you apply like wax (and they buff easy, unlike AMMO SKIN). I haven't tried those yet but I will!

2011 LS 460.  Does the SiO2 leave behind a shine or does it just protect.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 19, 2019 8:29 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

LS 460, beautiful. I hope it's white? I've always wanted a white LS of that generation. 

Yeah it increases gloss for sure. Not super gloss like a quality wax, but a good gloss nonetheless. Added depth to the Atomic Silver, a color I am obsessed with.

IMG 20190903 193836

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 19, 2019 10:33 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

It just so happens to be white pearl. Its not my car, its my fathers but now its pretty much mine after a title transfer as he has become disabled and unable to drive. I will say that its built really well including the materials inside the cabin. Next to the land cruiser this is suppose to be Toyotas best made vehicle that has already proven its self in the limo world of going three to four hundred thousand miles without showing its age.  The only downside is the gas millage but it does have plenty of power and its RWD which is more rare. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2019 10:08 am
haloruler64 reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

@haloruler64 - 303 SiO2 sounds great, thanks for the heads-up. What effect does it have on the outside rubber, the wipers, and the black parts of the car (front, rear grills and under the wipers) ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2019 11:54 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Haven't noticed any effects. A lot of SiO2 products like waxes and sealants say never to use on plastics but 303 does not. I spray it on everything and it hasn't stained anything yet. Sprayed the entirety of the MR2 twice. I don't spray directly onto the cowl and grills but a bunch gets on there anyway, like when I spray the 03+ rear grill inserts that are color matched.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 20, 2019 11:56 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Holy crap this stuff sounds awesome. I get around to washing my cars twice a year so they're basically always dirty. This stuff could be a godsend.

I haven't looked at it in depth yet... Safe for soft tops or would this be for solid panels only?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2019 7:45 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Haha yay, another person who neglects their cars! Two washes a year is so me. 

I don't believe it's good for soft tops. I can read the label later but most likely bad idea. Meant for paint, glass, plastic lights, etc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 20, 2019 8:38 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I expected as much. Once the new top is on I need to look into what will keep it in good shape in the long run. Also need to find a strap for those darned ears!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2019 10:00 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Is it vinyl or cloth? The strap can damage cloth tops I hear. 

I think 303 makes the best soft top protection products at the moment. I know they make this insane cloth top protectant that can NOT touch paint so you have to cover your car in plastic and tape around the top so only the top gets coated. I have it but I never used it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 20, 2019 10:17 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I wash my car at least twice a week... I hate dirty wheels.  In fact I need to take my wheels off today so I can clean the insides.  It's bothering me right now, and I haven't even gone outside yet.

I didn't notice that my link was the smaller bottle.... oops.  

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2019 8:41 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: