Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Repairing Failed CV Covers/Joints

(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

You are underneath your car working around the engine bay and that is when you notice:  the passenger side (Right) CV joint on your Spyder has a hole in it.  Damn!

As you start working on removing the axle, you immediately figure out that you have to buy a 30 mm socket to remove the axle nut.  Once the nut is removed, you find that the axle does not easily slid off the hub.  Lots of penetrating oil later and generous taps with a 5# maul and the outer axle comes off.

Now you start on removing the inner axle which is held in place by a cast iron carrier

screenshot(1)

bolted to the engine by 3 bolts.  The lower two bolts, while really tight, finally come off by using a generous sized cheater bar.  Now the only bolt left is at the top of the carrier.  Now your real problems come in!

The top bolt in the axle carrier is obstructed by a:  bulge in the carrier casting in front of the bolt

2019 10 12 09.16.05
screenshot(2)

; plus a bulge in the engine** casting to the right of the bolt. 

screenshot

What this means to you, as a mechanic, you can get a socket on the bolt, but there is no way to put the ratchet handle --- with or without extensions, swivels, etc. --- on the socket.

Ditto on using a pass through socket.  Ditto on using a flex adjustable ratcheting open/closed end wrench as well.

The only tool (Dev and I found) that will work is a plain old 14mm open end wrench.  From below the car ---- while the car is on jack stands ---- you can't get enough leverage,or even a decent sized cheater bar to fit the socket.  From the top you can get a cheater bar to reach, but (because of interference from the motor's header assembly), you can only turn the bolt about 1/8 turn each time.

So my question to you "Master Mechanics" out there: is there a better way to remove this obstructed bolt... that you have actually used yourself?

Finally, we had all three bolts out and proceeded to attempt to remove the inner axle (with the carrier still attached) by pushing and then gently tapping the carrier itself.  No, nothing, nada. The axle refused to move.  Turns out that the carrier is "Trapped" by the **bulge in the engine casting previously described.  The only way I was able to push the carrier far enough away from the engine casting bulge was to use extended pry bars and brute force to push the carrier physically away from the obstructing engine bulge.

So my question to you "Master Mechanics" out there: is there a better way to clear the carrier away from the obstructing engine casting bulge... that you have actually used yourself?

Finally, for now, once you have the inner axle off and you have clear access to the obstructing casting material on the carrier, do you take the opportunity to grind off sufficient clearance area that you never have to go through this ass ache again?

Paul

This topic was modified 5 years ago 4 times by Not 2 Old For 2 Seater
Topic starter Posted : October 12, 2019 9:26 am
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

I just leave that bracket in place and undo the two bolts holding the axle in that bracket, then slide it all out.  I wouldn't think grinding a little off that bracket would hurt though as it's not something I've ever remembered anyone posting about breaking.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2019 2:12 pm
CSPIDY and suoiruc reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nocoolname

I just leave that bracket in place and undo the two bolts holding the axle in that bracket, then slide it all out.  I wouldn't think grinding a little off that bracket would hurt though as it's not something I've ever remembered anyone posting about breaking.

We should have done it this way in retrospect but two interesting thing to note is the halfs were rusted shut and were missing the two bolts that join them together. 

In the past I have done it with removing the bracket without the issue we encountered with clearance. 

I think its probably better to spray down the halfs where they meet since the axle is out of the car now and separate them so installation will not be so tight when going back in.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2019 2:46 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Yup, I never touched that bracket and I've pulled that axle 3 times so far. Crazy that they were rusted together with no bolts though. Don't want that to randomly let loose when launching the car... 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2019 4:30 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

I've dealt with stuck ones as well.  You can usually loosen the two bolts a little, spray some penetrating oil then some taps(not full power hits) with a hammer to the bolts to push the pieces apart works.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2019 2:08 pm
Share: