Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Need recommendation for OE vinyl top repair, (sticky goo)

Page 2 / 2
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @mrsponz

A while back I did a lot research on the internet and found this. Tenacious Tape is good stuff as well as Aquaseal. They even put together a kit for you.

https://www.gearaid.com/collections/all

or look at this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roof-Repair-Convertible-Car-Soft-Top-Patch-Tear-Aid-6-x-12-Patch-A/361406221383?hash=item54257d4c47:g:Du4AAMXQ0v1RbZG1

type A for canvas and a type B for vinyl.

Your hole is small, but with more abrasion it will get bigger. If it was just a hole it would be easier, but with the abrasion and location next to the bar it will be tougher.

Good luck.

Nice find. I think im going to use this to replace my Shoe Goo patch which is too thick in comparison.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2019 12:24 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@mrsponz

Yep, thats about what I had in mind. Similar to, if not the same mesh reinforcement used when properly waterproofing a corner in a shower.

Anybody used this? Will it withstand the projected 3,216 soft-top up/down procedures I will perform in the next 3 years?

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 24, 2019 1:41 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Also, what are your thoughts about a patch that extends all the way past the rib in front of the rib where the hole is? I feel like that whole zone is terribly fatigued and ready to pull itself apart.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 24, 2019 1:43 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Fortunately, for myself, I have not had any abrasion holes, so I am not really sure what the best fix is for you. I would probably try using the Aquaseal to plug the hole then re-enforcing the abrasion spot with either the e-bay tape or Tenacious Tape. I am not sure of anything that will last you three years. You might have to repeat this process more than once, and then possibly in more than one spot.  This is one of the reasons I like my MikeV hardtop. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Your tan top is nice but if it were black you would probably have more options.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2019 3:16 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Yeah, feeling som pain from the tan-ness. The black interior is murder in the NC sun, and I think adding a black top will cause the thing to melt a hole in the Earth's crust and it will just sink into a pit.

Will replace with the lightest gray that looks OK. Already re-thinking charcoal. I dont think white will do, but functionally, it would be superior in terms of summer heat.

Naturally, I will want to install the top myself. Might gain two levels just from that. But then again, uh, maybe not.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 24, 2019 3:59 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Just noticed a couple more spots where the brown coating is flaking off. Pinhead-sized.

It was spotless a few weeks ago. I wonder if something happened while he was at the body shop. Seems unlikely, but it sure has deteriorated suddenly.

Perhaps I will coat the entire thing with Shoe Goo. Why not? It's a dead top already. I'll wait to see how the patch looks. Who knows, maybe the clear goo will still have a matte finish. Might look like a million bucks. (Why do I doubt that?)

I am annoyed that Mr. T didnt make the fabric replaceable without replacing the frame. Very non-Toyota of them. Bad Engineer! Go get in your cage!!!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 24, 2019 4:12 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Interesting read on the old SC:

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/plasti-dip-convertible-top-repair.62266/#post-959186

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2019 4:47 pm
(@suoiruc)
Trusted Member

I looked at a lot of fabrics before choosing and chose a piece rough on one side and smooth on the other for reasons you mentioned.

just spread the shoe goo thinly on the patch then stick. None of my patches have loosened over years. I do clean the area with alcohol (rubbing, not beer) before gluing.

I also noticed doing a large circular patch in an area not stretched tightly will be more noticeable from the outside, appearance wise. 

This post was modified 5 years ago by suoiruc
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2019 5:18 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nottamiata

Just noticed a couple more spots where the brown coating is flaking off. Pinhead-sized.

It was spotless a few weeks ago. I wonder if something happened while he was at the body shop. Seems unlikely, but it sure has deteriorated suddenly.

Perhaps I will coat the entire thing with Shoe Goo. Why not? It's a dead top already. I'll wait to see how the patch looks. Who knows, maybe the clear goo will still have a matte finish. Might look like a million bucks. (Why do I doubt that?)

I am annoyed that Mr. T didnt make the fabric replaceable without replacing the frame. Very non-Toyota of them. Bad Engineer! Go get in your cage!!!

I’m ready for your how dare you speech.  

There are many that have it much worse and were able to arrest the problem using the methods suggested. I’m on my original top and it’s  20 years.  My secret is to manually drop the top and tuck in the ears. All convertible tops require replacement eventually, that’s just a simple reality of ownership.  Toyota tops hold up better than most. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2019 5:26 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Hard to believe it has been over three years...

I got by with Shoe Goo all this time. Other pinholes have developed, and a small branch fell on it right before we moved, making a semi-circular rip about an inch across.

Shoe goo limped along OK, but the first hole has now become a 2cm/0.75" hole. It simply ripped away from the edges of the goo patch.

It is finally time for a canvas lid.

Just wanted to pop in and vouch for the Goo. It works fine for a while, but it cannot stop vinyl from simply drying up and cracking into shards. Glad to have a carport nowadays, but being unable to drive in the rain is going to cramp my style.

Thanks to cyclehead and others for top replacement info. Will farm it out to an upholsterer, though. Anyone know of a reputable shop within 100 miles of Greensboro, NC / Danville, VA?

Is the Robbins top with Haartz fabric still the top recommendation?

Note to Dev: I never posted a "how dare you???" Thanks for the advice on goo. I drove that booger thing around for three years. Works well (I did refresh it a few times, though), but looks pretty bad. Been so busy, the whole car looks pretty bad, so it blends right in. But it bought me three extra years; you can't have it all. Well, *I* can't, anyway.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 3, 2023 9:31 am
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

@nottamiata 

I got this top back in 2020 - amazing how much the price has increased...Fits: TOYOTA MR2 / MRS Convertible Soft Top 2000-2007 Black Canvas Cloth | eBay

I first went to one of the above - for the top, but they had trouble filling the order...

It fits well and install was straight forward enough (A few hickups) has worn pretty well.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 3, 2023 11:43 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I'll be going with a Robbins top eventually.  Once my current project is done and I am ready to take on some more smaller projects one at a time.  My top is definitely in bad shape.  Not the worst I've seen, but it is definitely not good.  It's beyond shoe goo 🙁

Luckily, I have a hard top that will be on mostly except for the winter months.  So I think I'll have time to replace the top by then.  😉

There are a few different videos about how to replace the top.  I saw one where someone removed the soft top along with the frame and all.  I wonder if this might make things easier when installing a new fabric top?

This post was modified 1 year ago by LordTakuban

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 8, 2023 11:08 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: