Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Misfire on cylinder 2

(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Hello helpful people!  I am in a bind again... but fortunately it is not The Frog!  However, after this all shakes out, he's gonna get some love anyway.

The xB is throwing the misfire on Cyl 2 code (I forget what it is, but I am 100% certain that this is the code I read).  There are no other codes, no evap issues, nothin'  Just that one.  DashCommand is great -- thanks Dev -- but it will not show me the last session and I am too lazy to go out and get teh code..

I replaced the plugs, which was apparently so overdue I really don't want to admit how "gone" they were.  They are in the neighbor's trash can, and I'm not gonna dive for them, but it would not surprise me if they are the original plugs.  Normal gap spec is 0.032, and these were easily wider than 0.60.  Just pitiful...

The is the next love that Le Frog will receive.  Iridiums don't last no stinking 200K miles like I've read in a few places.

Replaced them with OE iridium NGK plugs, properly gapped.  When I first started it up, it ran much better, and the problem seemed to be solved at idle, except at about 1600 rpm to about 2200, it ran like crap when in park, like it was super out of balance (a bit different from the misfire behavior because the exhaust tone wasn't sickly like before), then would run smooth again at higher rpm when not under load.  cleared the codes first and the misfire code went away.

That all changed when I drove it.  I got about 100 feet before it threw the misfire code again.  Also of note, when I removed the coil packs, every one of them tore off at the end and the narrow part stayed stuck to the old plug insulators, LOL.  Seems like a design flaw to me.  The springs still make contact, so I shrugged and put 'em back.  I know this is the first thing someone will wag a finger at me about.  I know, I know...

So my question, really, is what is the order in which to replace parts?  The xB is so old, replacing parts is a viable diagnostic method at this point, since it all needs replaciing anyway!  Well, up to a point...

I am thinking I should go ahead and get new coil packs, but can these be tested for continuity?  How you do this (that is, is it anything unusual, or just put the pins on there... uh... somewhere?)?

If the coil packs are still OK (does the boot-end *really* matter that much, and can that be replaced without replacing the whole thing?), what is the next place to look?  I've done some preliminary research, and from here, things start getting complicated/expensive, but often I find that one man's complexity/expense is another man's <shrug>.  What order should I do stuff?  I would imagine a continuity test all the way through each line is in order, but that's "scary".  A false negative or just doin' it rong will have me chasing tail for a long time.  Not scared, just aware of my limits.

So what next, say ye?

Thanks!

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

Topic starter Posted : September 8, 2020 12:53 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

However... at 200K miles, there does come a time when a set of OE coils, at $340, has one questioning whether that money would best be put into another vehicle... easy repair, but still... I am shocked to see the KBB private-party sale price over 2K, even for the poor cosmetic condition it is in.  That changes the math a bit.

Still, maybe just replacing cyl2 would work out.  BTW, which one IS cylinder 2 anyway??  Or better yet, teach me to fish and where I can find this so I don't pester ya later.  Tried to find this for the 1ZZ-FED and couldn't find that either.  I need a service manual, at least for Le Frog, whom I expect to have for a long time, even though I have seen an ex-Spyder owner out there who claims the Miata ND is a better car.  I find that hard to believe, but maybe they are tiny enough to fit their whole body inside it, or maybe it's actually just bigger than the NC, which is a sardine can.

Getting distracted.  Opinions on replacing the coil packs?  I will certainly test them for continuity first, as soon as I figure out which cylinder is cyl2.  Maybe if the coil is bad, I can figure it out that way, ha.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 8, 2020 1:09 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

Front of the engine is the side that has the pulleys/ belt. Cylinder closest to this side is cylinder 1. Assuming this in an inline cylinder engine, you just count across.

Easy diagnostic for coil packs: swap the coil pack from the problem cylinder with one from a "good cylinder". See if the misfire moves to that cylinder. I suggest writing the original cylinder number on each coil pack with marker before doing this.

That's where I would start.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2020 3:20 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I'd do coil packs. They wear out well before 200k. Denso ones from Rock Auto are reasonable prices too.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2020 5:21 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @ria

Front of the engine is the side that has the pulleys/ belt. Cylinder closest to this side is cylinder 1. Assuming this in an inline cylinder engine, you just count across.

Easy diagnostic for coil packs: swap the coil pack from the problem cylinder with one from a "good cylinder". See if the misfire moves to that cylinder. I suggest writing the original cylinder number on each coil pack with marker before doing this.

That's where I would start.

Well, duh. Shame on me, this is too obvious. I was under the impression it was the firing order, and "pretty sure" they don't fire 1, 2, 3, 4.

Diagnostic approach is also pretty obvious, more shame for the young learner.

Thanks.

And as Halo mentions, if one is dead, I should replace all of them, or really just do it regardless. The Corolla is the same age; this could get painful (lost my job six weeks ago, worst job market EVER, poor me).

Out of curiosity, though, how does a spring just go bad? Is it just corroding away since there is some small exposure to air?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 9, 2020 10:21 am
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

IDK about the whole spring thing. I'm assuming your talking about the spring at the end of the coil pack (usually covered by the rubber boots) that contacts the plug. Coil packs are more than just that spring so I guess a few things could go bad. 

Sorry to hear you lost your job recently. That can definitely be a rough one.

Last time I found myself unemployed I took a temp job at a sawmill moving lumber off a saw onto a cart haha. I know you probably have all your ducks lined up, and maybe you aren't a one income household, but, if you want some unsolicited advice, take literally any job just to slow bleed on savings. Again, completely unsolicited, but just my two cents. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2020 10:39 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

You can replace all four, but if the misfire follows one coil pack, there's no reason not to replace just one for now. Won't hurt the others.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2020 5:20 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @ria

IDK about the whole spring thing. I'm assuming your talking about the spring at the end of the coil pack (usually covered by the rubber boots) that contacts the plug. Coil packs are more than just that spring so I guess a few things could go bad. 

Sorry to hear you lost your job recently. That can definitely be a rough one.

Last time I found myself unemployed I took a temp job at a sawmill moving lumber off a saw onto a cart haha. I know you probably have all your ducks lined up, and maybe you aren't a one income household, but, if you want some unsolicited advice, take literally any job just to slow bleed on savings. Again, completely unsolicited, but just my two cents. 

Yep, that's what I am doing. We were one income for a long time but fortunately the Mrs. started back to work a year ago. Still tight, though, but the bleeding is slow. Bank is being gracious about the mortgage, etc. It all sux, and I know many have it worse than we do and I hate it for them too.

Not sure why the stimulus efforts can't just reward people/businesses for HIRING. Seems a bit more direct and effective, since, you know, joblessness is the actual problem the stimulus is addressing. Probly ought to have taken that to the General forum, so lets just re-lid that can of worms before the ugly starts. But yeah, there are almost no software jobs around here, definitely none for a Microsoft boi like me, and 100 people fighting for the two that are open. This sh*t can't end fast enough...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 9, 2020 9:45 pm
Share: