Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Maintenance Questions (RE: coolant & brakes)

Page 2 / 2
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

bimmer-bob . . .

I just wanted to jump-in and welcome you to the better place.  Glad to have you here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 25, 2020 7:25 am
T-bone and dev reacted
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

Castrol 06244 EDGE A3/B4 0W-30 is what I use (aka German Castrol) 16 years of use still does not burn a drop of oil. Blackstone analysis indicates in my car at 10K the oil is good for another 2-3 k 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 25, 2020 8:59 am
(@bimmer-bob)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @dev

Redline makes good oil however its not necessarily the best oil for the money.  Redline is reported to have higher zinc in their formulations but the high zinc levels might not be good for the catalytic converters. Also although it shows good UOA its not necessarily the best in all applications. 

The PUP is top dog for now and before this it was the Euro Castrol. Mobil does have one excellent product that they revised which is their Euro 0W-40. 

Our engines are not hard on oil but what they are sensitive to is varnish build up.    

With the five quart bottles that have the window I just fill in 3 1/2 quarts and check with the dip stick. I then fill in another half quart and see how much oil is on the dipstick and keep adding until its at the full mark. 

Redline is a car enthusiast favorite for transmission and diff fluid. Amsoil is also and I highly recommend their GL4 for the transmission over Redline MT90. 

Yeah, Red Line is big for tranny fluids as well. I have D4 ATF in my BMW now (even though it's a Getrag manual transmission, it's what they recommend for BMWs newer than '97) and it's great. And I read somewhere that their brake fluid (RL-600) is actually the same stuff as Motul RBF-600.

I hadn't even thought about the little window on the side of the bottle! Of course that would make things much simpler.

MWR put Valvoline Synchromesh in my car after they installed the LSD. It's what they recommend for naturally-aspirated street-driven cars (over Red Line MT-90, which they recommend blending with the Valvoline otherwise). It wouldn't have been my first choice, but was open to trying it and will probably try something else in 30,000 miles. Someone else recommend the Amsoil product to me as well, but I must admit that I have something of an aversion to Amsoil - something about their marketing model is odd (is it MLM?) and some people seem weirdly cult-y about it, lol.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 25, 2020 2:01 pm
(@bimmer-bob)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @uncle-mush

bimmer-bob . . .

I just wanted to jump-in and welcome you to the better place.  Glad to have you here.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 25, 2020 2:02 pm
(@bimmer-bob)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @t-bone

Castrol 06244 EDGE A3/B4 0W-30 is what I use (aka German Castrol) 16 years of use still does not burn a drop of oil. Blackstone analysis indicates in my car at 10K the oil is good for another 2-3 k 

I'm familiar with the German Castrol, but thought it was no longer available? In any case, the PUP seems like the latest thing, and is probably easier to come by.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 25, 2020 2:07 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @bimmer-bob
Posted by: @dev

Redline makes good oil however its not necessarily the best oil for the money.  Redline is reported to have higher zinc in their formulations but the high zinc levels might not be good for the catalytic converters. Also although it shows good UOA its not necessarily the best in all applications. 

The PUP is top dog for now and before this it was the Euro Castrol. Mobil does have one excellent product that they revised which is their Euro 0W-40. 

Our engines are not hard on oil but what they are sensitive to is varnish build up.    

With the five quart bottles that have the window I just fill in 3 1/2 quarts and check with the dip stick. I then fill in another half quart and see how much oil is on the dipstick and keep adding until its at the full mark. 

Redline is a car enthusiast favorite for transmission and diff fluid. Amsoil is also and I highly recommend their GL4 for the transmission over Redline MT90. 

Yeah, Red Line is big for tranny fluids as well. I have D4 ATF in my BMW now (even though it's a Getrag manual transmission, it's what they recommend for BMWs newer than '97) and it's great. And I read somewhere that their brake fluid (RL-600) is actually the same stuff as Motul RBF-600.

I hadn't even thought about the little window on the side of the bottle! Of course that would make things much simpler.

MWR put Valvoline Synchromesh in my car after they installed the LSD. It's what they recommend for naturally-aspirated street-driven cars (over Red Line MT-90, which they recommend blending with the Valvoline otherwise). It wouldn't have been my first choice, but was open to trying it and will probably try something else in 30,000 miles. Someone else recommend the Amsoil product to me as well, but I must admit that I have something of an aversion to Amsoil - something about their marketing model is odd (is it MLM?) and some people seem weirdly cult-y about it, lol.

That is something that also irritates me with Amsoil multi marketing stuff however they are enthusiast focused like Redline giving their customers what they want. The only reason Mobil, Shell (Pennzoil) and BP (Castrol) improve is to meet new engine certifications that are demanding on oil.  Using the wrong oil can cause issues with DI engines and they have been adjusting formulations to match those engine specs.  I think its best with some of these newer modern engines to only used approved oils that carry their certification otherwise unknowns could damage an engine. 

What I like about the Amsoil GL4 fluid over the MT90 that I have used for decades is better cold shifting and over all better positive shift engagement especially between quick shifts from first to 2nd gear for my 2ZZ to catch it in lift. With the MT90 it would crunch. 

This is a good read if you have the time. 

Study of gear lube

Although it is an Amsoil funded study the results come from independent certified labs. The competitors can and do challenge if they feel that it is deliberately wrong and the reason why Amsoil funds these studies is their advertising hook to show where they stand with their competitors.  

I was incidentally doing more research on PUP and it would seen that Castrol revised their formula and made Pennzoil take down their advertising showing how much better they were at cleaning pistons.  I also found out that BMW racing teams are using the new Pennzoil SRT oil for some of their applications. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 25, 2020 4:03 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

@bimmer-bob I get mine on amazon. Case currently in garage 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 26, 2020 6:45 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: