Share:
Notifications
Clear all

long term storage

(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

With my ongoing health problems and medical expenses, and obviously this Coronavirus outbreak, I am thinking about declaring my MR2 "non-operational" and locking it up in my garage. My RAV will be there when I need it.

So how do I prepare my Spyder for 6 months (or longer) in storage? How often do I start the motor? Should I drive it in and out of my garage once in a while? I know I cannot drive it up and down the street.

All suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Topic starter Posted : March 21, 2020 2:46 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I have gone more than 6 months every year for over a decade and one time three years with no ill effects.  As long as your garage is sealed from rodents  I would just get a dust cover for it, fill up the tires 5psi over what it is now and add stable in the gas tank. Thats about it.  Synthetic engine  oil is good for 1 year or more. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2020 3:39 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

I store a few so all I do is top off the gas tank  and disconnect the battery . I've never used stable and don't use trickle chargers . 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2020 4:17 pm
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @mrsponz

With my ongoing health problems and medical expenses, and obviously this Coronavirus outbreak, I am thinking about declaring my MR2 "non-operational" and locking it up in my garage. My RAV will be there when I need it.

So how do I prepare my Spyder for 6 months (or longer) in storage? How often do I start the motor? Should I drive it in and out of my garage once in a while? I know I cannot drive it up and down the street.

All suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Using Stabil is a good idea.  Take the battery out and keep it on a trickle charger or just top up the charge every month or 2.  And do not start it and try to warm it up by idling!!!  You can get the coolant warm but you can not get enough heat into the oil (without driving) to drive off the condensed water and fuel that you introduce to the oil during a cold-start and warm-up.  

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 22, 2020 9:40 am
dev reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

thanks for the advice everyone.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 5, 2020 8:47 pm
Share: