LF recommendation for A/C charge kit

(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

Topic starter Posted : July 15, 2019 4:39 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I do my own AC recharges.   Buy a vacuum pump and gauge set.   Wear goggles and gloves.   I’ve been getting R134 cans from eBay, about $8 per can.   Most small cars take 2 cans or less.   The only way I know to charge accurately is to weigh the cans and hit the system numbers on the sticker under the hood with a complete system refill.

All modern fittings are standardized (small one is low pressure, big one is high pressure).

I’m sure there are plenty of videos on the process.   It’s not very difficult.

And just to start a thread drift - they’re doing it yet again.  R134 is being “phased out” for “new stuff” which will be even more expensive, and even more tightly regulated.  And it’s all to protect the environment.  Isn’t that nice.   But how come there’s so much money to be made with every coolant standard change?   And milk is good for you bones too.  Just ask the milk producer’s lobby.

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2019 5:55 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2019 7:18 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@nottamiata

I think you need to add in the costs to capture/evacuate the old refrigerant, costs to dispose of the old refrigerant, costs to upgrade the old system to make it compatible with the new refrigerant, and then the cost for the new, better, refrigerant that is being mandated...

I have Mastercool gauges and have attached a copy of their instructions.

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2019 7:43 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2019 9:12 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2019 11:07 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

LOL...

Since you are so pumped on these regulations, I suggest that you go and find an AC professional to evacuate your current 134a systems, have them upgraded where needed, and then re-charge them with HFO-1234yf.  

Anything else is killing the environment, so performing a DIY should be out of the question.

😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2019 11:42 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2019 12:01 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @nottamiata

...Nice shot, though. 😉

No shot, just responding to your tirade about Climate Change and how anyone that doesn't agree 100% must be a far right lunatic...

Posted by: @nottamiata

"Until then, this is just more tiring uber-right ravings and abject fear-mongering about how the big bad gub'mint is coming to charge us all an extra $48 over the course of five years. Big effin deal...

The Right …"

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2019 12:28 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2019 12:33 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2019 12:50 pm