Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Help identifying mystery axles

(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Mystery axles that came with a JDM MRS transmission I purchased. Before purchase I was assured the whole setup came from a MRS, unfortunately not the case.

RH axle is very similar in length, maybe the same. LH axle is 30-50mm too long. Also, the ABS rings are 89mm across on supplied axles, mine are 80mm across.

Still trying to think of a reliable way to measure total length, suggestions welcome. It also occurs to me now I should do a spline count.

If anybody knows what these go to, or has further suggestions on how to identify them, please share. I'd like them to become useful to someone and not take up my garage space. 

MR2 axles on the right side in below pics.:

IMG 20191105 132759 20191110222814256
1447086275 20191110222624135

Topic starter Posted : November 11, 2019 12:45 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Different length in axles is certainly a different application but they may have just listed the transmission as cross compatibility. Check the numbers on the transmission to see if its a C55 or C60 stamping.    

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 12, 2019 10:37 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

The case is stamped c60 which from what I understand is typical for the MRS 5 speed. The shift linkage and all was correct for MRS, so I think whoever shipped it out of Japan probably just chucked in two axles that looked like they were right even if they didn't come out of the same car.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 12, 2019 2:13 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @marsrock7

The case is stamped c60 which from what I understand is typical for the MRS 5 speed. The shift linkage and all was correct for MRS, so I think whoever shipped it out of Japan probably just chucked in two axles that looked like they were right even if they didn't come out of the same car.

Yes the C60 is typical for most C60 C56 and other variants but a C55 could indicate something different, perhaps a Corolla model with the big 5th gear.

If it has the MR-S shift linkage than its very probable it's a C56 with two random axles thrown in without matching them and making assumptions. 

Speaking of assumptions I really pissed off someone when I pointed out that the MR-S transmission from Japan is a C56 and not some magical JDM transmission that is only available in Japan that has internals that can stand up to more abuse.  Despite showing an abundance of evidence in my favor  It was dismissed and I was the bad guy for pointing it out.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 12, 2019 4:28 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Yup, gearing is exactly the same as US c56, but this one came with LSD already in it. Shifts great! Everything was good except the axles. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 12, 2019 6:41 pm
Share: