Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Heel plate

Page 1 / 2
(@hello)
Reputable Member

My heel is making a dent into the floor mat. Any recommendations on a heel plate?

Topic starter Posted : July 6, 2019 1:33 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

How important are esthetics?  If not important, cut out a section of a plastic gallon milk jug for the plate and pop rivet it to the floor mat at four corners of the plastic piece.  It's a cheap, easy fix and easily replaced when that plastic piece wears through again, which will take a while.   Now then,  if you want it to look nice,  perhaps check with an upholstery shop and see what they can sew into place for you.  You could do the same, by hand with a sewing awl, but that is time consuming, hard on the hands and an acquired skill that takes time to master.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2019 8:06 pm
(@hello)
Reputable Member

Doesn't have to look super nice but not as ugly as milk plastic lol. I thought about sewing something but anything short of leather will wear out like the mat itself. And as you surmised, that's very labor intensive to do it more than once. Also I was thinking of not poking any holes in the mat itself. Like a medium weight aluminum plate that should stay in place for the most part. Or just get new mat lol.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 6, 2019 11:47 pm
(@slbit)

There are TRD aluminum heel plates on eBay. They usually run around $29 USD made in China.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2019 6:34 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2019 8:46 am
(@hello)
Reputable Member
Posted by: SLBit

There are TRD aluminum heel plates on eBay. They usually run around $29 USD made in China.

Yea, I would just a generic one for $10.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 7, 2019 11:52 am
(@hello)
Reputable Member
Posted by: NottaMiata

To my mind, something "grabby", like carpet, would be more comfortable and stable. I have driven a car without a mat that had a plastic panel under the pedals, and I personally found it unpleasant.

To each his own, of course, but my suggestion would be to make a prototype out of milk jug or some such and just clip it on with paper clips or binder clips in such a way that it does not interfere with your feet. Then take it for an active drive to evaluate the effect.

You could always just use another bit of carpet or a cheap floor mat on top of the other one. But again, be very careful not to cause any issues with stuff flopping around down there and interfering with your feet or the pedals. Holes in the mat are better than holes in your head.

Great minds think alike. I was going to add a second mat but that looks silly and also unsafe as you surmised. I should've mentioned that the only reason I even care is because I have the OEM Spyder mats and don't want to ruin those. I guess aluminum plate it is.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 7, 2019 11:55 am
(@hello)
Reputable Member

If anyone's in the market, I found a generic one for $4 on ebay. Can't beat that price. Of course, it's gonna take a month to ship -_-

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 10, 2019 8:39 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

If you are really worried about your Spyder OEM floor mats, as well as you should be considering they are near un-obtainable, pull them and replace them with some aftermarket mats (no logo). IMOP that is the easiest and cheapest way to go. On the other hand, a competent auto-upholsterer can stitch a vinyl or leather patch directly over the heal spot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2019 12:17 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2019 12:52 pm
(@hello)
Reputable Member

Yea, replacement definitely works best but what's the point of having them if I don't use it? Yea, sewing is the way to go but that's going to be much more than $4.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 11, 2019 12:54 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2019 1:02 pm
hello reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member
Posted by: mrsponz

If you are really worried about your Spyder OEM floor mats, as well as you should be considering they are near un-obtainable, pull them and replace them with some aftermarket mats (no logo). IMOP that is the easiest and cheapest way to go. On the other hand, a competent auto-upholsterer can stitch a vinyl or leather patch directly over the heal spot.

I'm sure my sewing machine could handle the task of sewing through the floor mats.  I worry that closely spaced stitches would make a "tear here" set of holes in the heavy rubber backing though.   I've toyed with ideas of shaving the carpet pile away in a small rectangle, using some sheep shears.  Then making a carpet insert, maybe with a replaceable insert with Velcro on the back.  The wear pad could be replaceable.   The tricky part would be keeping the edges of the pad from peeling back or looking tatty.

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2019 2:14 pm
hello reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Here. quick and easy. buy it by the foot and cut your own patch. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tenex-27-in-W-Cut-to-Length-Clear-Extruded-Vinyl-Utility-Runner-By-the-Foot/1000258917

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2019 2:33 pm
hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member
Posted by: cyclehead
Posted by: mrsponz

I'm sure my sewing machine could handle the task of sewing through the floor mats.  I worry that closely spaced stitches would make a "tear here" set of holes in the heavy rubber backing though.   I've toyed with ideas of shaving the carpet pile away in a small rectangle, using some sheep shears.  Then making a carpet insert, maybe with a replaceable insert with Velcro on the back.  The wear pad could be replaceable.   The tricky part would be keeping the edges of the pad from peeling back or looking tatty.

I meant to ask, what sewing machine do you have?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 11, 2019 8:30 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: