Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Front Lower Control Arm

Page 2 / 2
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Warning: pseudo-political trollbait detected and about to be gobbled. You've been warned!

@dev

12 years? Oh crap! Well, then at least I don't need to worry as much about The Frog rusting out.

This car has really created some dichotomies in my world view vs my own enjoyment. It was easy to hate gas with a Corolla (great cars, but it ain't no MR2!). Now, I am just conflicted. But not terribly so, because I get decent mileage.

Whenever I am near one of those vehicles that turns off at stoplights I just shake my head. Yeah, it saves gas, sure. But I really wouldn't be able to stand that. Most of them are SUVs and puny-pecker-compensators (i.e. giant pickup trucks with glasspacks that never see a day of actual work). Maybe a better way to save gas is to not drive a 7-ton vehicle with only one occupant? I know... crazy, right?

Hopefully our cars' age will be an advantage in the end and be just enough to get us some sort of "classic car" exemption when "they" come to take our dino-burners away.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2019 4:19 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

All I know is those that want to save anything never lead by example and take the bus. Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2019 5:02 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

Lets go back to the specific bolt.... Any chance that someone has one of these bolts easily available for reference?

Length, pitch/thread, caliber, and hardness.Β 

The bolt has a cone or grounded edge which we can reproduce, but buying with it already shaped would be a preference.Β 

If someone(s) can provide these details,Β  maybe we can find a replacement before a catastrophic event of failure. Hopefully before 12 years.Β  Wasn't that predicted by Al Hore in 2010?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 12, 2019 5:53 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @ispy

Lets go back to the specific bolt.... Any chance that someone has one of these bolts easily available for reference?

Length, pitch/thread, caliber, and hardness.Β 

The bolt has a cone or grounded edge which we can reproduce, but buying with it already shaped would be a preference.Β 

If someone(s) can provide these details,Β  maybe we can find a replacement before a catastrophic event of failure. Hopefully before 12 years.Β  Wasn't that predicted by Al Hore in 2010?

Here you go .... I ordered a couple 100mm length bolts I think will work , I'll let you know .Β  Stainless would be the preferred permanent fix but I don't think I'll find any of those .

[img] [/img]

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2019 11:07 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

That is kinda special-lookin'...

Β 

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2019 9:36 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

Hey Phats, first, great job. I thought I responded yesterday thanking you but I don't see it here. The questionΒ  I did ask is if the bolt had a hardness rating on it. I believe most suspension bolts are hardened... 8.5 up. Some are soft and allow for flexing.Β  All depends on the design and component. The problem with stainless is that they are brittle. We should be consistent since with failure will make for an interesting run.

Thanks again!Β 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 16, 2019 10:53 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

I don't see a hardness rating on it ..... here's a link to the ones I bought .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-M12-1-25-X-100-mm-DIN-961-Hex-Cap-Screws-Partial-Thread-10-9-Steel/223344901767?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I wouldn't be afraid to use stainless if I could fine some .

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 16, 2019 11:27 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@phats

Link say 10.9...

🍺

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 16, 2019 11:41 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @neomr2

@phats

Link say 10.9...

🍺

I was talking about the oem bolt ..... it has 4 hash marks on the top but can find what that meansΒ 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 16, 2019 11:49 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@phats

Sorry, I misunderstood...

I have attached a file I use for bolts.

Β 

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 16, 2019 12:34 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @neomr2

@phats

Sorry, I misunderstood...

I have attached a file I use for bolts.

Β 

I'm guessing it's a Japanese spec.Β 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 16, 2019 1:12 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

The bolts I bought from the ebay link above look like they will work as is with a couple thick washers . I will probably go ahead and machine the point but don't think it's necessary .. I'd guess it's just to help get it started without cross threading . I'll try to post some pictures in the next 3-4 days .

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2019 9:48 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: