Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Do I Always Have To Buy My Repair/Replacement Parts From Mr. T.?

Page 1 / 4
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

Do I Always Have To Buy My Repair/Replacement Parts From Mr. T.?

IMHO, the prices that my local Mr. T. Stealerships charge for replacement Spyder parts are absolutely outrageous!  What is worse is the fact that my local Mr. T. Stealerships think nothing of inflating the “List Prices” anywhere from 300-700%**.

So what I thought might be helpful for everyone is for us to list those parts where either Non-Toyota/But Still Brand Name parts or generics can be safely used.  Please suggest additions, deletions, or corrections to this list!

Front Headlight Bulbs:  Some higher end LED bulbs, Branded Bulbs, many generic bulbs (NOTEWELL: In my experience, most generic incandescent bulbs do not list their normal operating lifespan hours, nor their brightness.  Many of the least expensive incandescent bulbs I have tried ended up having a significantly shorter than OEM lifespan in actual use.)

Other Bulbs: Some LED bulbs,  Branded Bulbs, many generic bulbs (NOTEWELL: Many of the less expensive LED bulbs I have tried ended up having a significant number of DOA bulbs and/or bulbs failed quite prematurely.  Do you retrofit LED bulbs into dash array!)

Car batteries

Mufflers

Air Cleaner

Oil Filter

Tires

Rims

Valve Stems

Seat Covers

Rear View Mirror (Interior)

Car Radio

Radio Antenna

Windshield

Windshield Wiper Blades

Gas Cap

Gaskets

Parts That Are Highly Recommended To Use Manufactured Either By Toyota or Other Named Brands:

Shock Absorbers

Shock Absorber Mounts

M/T Shift Cables

Emergency Brake Cable

Windshield Wiper Arms

Convertible Top

Metal To Metal Sealant

Oxygen Sensors:  Denso

Starters: Denso

Alternators: Denso

Drive Belt, Toyota, Gates

Hoses, Pressure

Fuses

Brake Lines: Toyota

Brake Pads: Toyota, Other Named Brands

Antifreeze: Toyota (Personal Preference Red or Pink)

M/T Transmission Lube:  Toyota, Other Named Brands

Engine Oil, Other Named Brands

Oil Filters, Absolutely!

Nuts and Bolts (NOTEWELL: Nuts and bolts can be made of various metals and are graded to indicate their strength/intended use. Not all nuts and bolts are strong enough to use in automotive applications! Metric bolts are manufactured from medium carbon steel that is quenched and tempered.  Typical metric bolts are rated at a minimum of Grade 8.8 on the MPas scale and, on non-stainless steel bolts, the Grade may be marked on the head of the bolt. Metric Grade 10.9 and 12.9 bolts are used in very high stress automotive applications only. Always be sure to use the same Grade/metal hardware for matching bolts, nuts, and washers.

** Sooner or later someone is going to chime in “Well, the Dealers have to get paid extra for keeping specialty parts a limited run automobile that stopped being manufactured years ago.  B.S.  Most of the parts that I end up buying for my Spyder have to be ordered from the factory warehouse and therefore cost the local Dealer absolutely nothing to store. Additionally, given that our Spyders were built out of Mr. T.'s manufacture’s “Parts Bin,” many of the Spyder’s parts are used in other Toyota models as well.

This topic was modified 5 years ago 4 times by Not 2 Old For 2 Seater
Topic starter Posted : August 16, 2019 12:16 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Great thread topic. Exceptionally valuable. I wonder where you got the idea...

Might balloon into a whale, though. Maybe a brief explanation of why OE rules, when it does, would help too.

O2 sensors are Denso, not Denon?

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2019 1:39 pm
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

You are right. Thanks for catching that!

I will make the correction now.

So that this original post, which might someday become a "Sticky, does not bloat out of control, I will leave it to others to explain why the OEM Mr. T. parts and/or Brand Name products are superior to the generics.

The most common reason for using OEM products may be that only  Mr. T. makes some of the parts used on our Spyders.

This post was modified 5 years ago by Not 2 Old For 2 Seater
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 16, 2019 3:13 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

The reason why OEM is better is primarily because they get it right the first time which saves me time and endless furstration. I have been burned so many times because im tempted to buy aftermarket to save a few bucks. I think one of the reason besides quality that goes into the parts for the high cost  is a reality of storage for making the parts available for an old car. Im discovering that OEM is not just for Toyota as im seeing the same thing with my new used espresso machine that I rebuilt with some reproductions parts. I ended up having to  buy the real Swiss parts that cost a fortune but will last. 

Last week a member came over to help replace a non working catalytic converter  from an aftermarket manufacture because the cat went bad early. The same replacement had pipes that wouldn't fit the ring gaskets.  It was a major frustration but somehow I was able to make it work with a flat gasket.  

Would it be worth paying though the nose for a OEM catalytic converter, hell no but the best alternative is to buy a good used low millage one.  If the OEM part is expensive the best alternative is used OEM from my experience.  

All of the Advance Auto and Autozone stuff is crap.  When my alternator goes out for the third time they can keep that lifetime warranty. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2019 3:39 pm
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

Isn't World Pac a cheaper option for OE parts if you have a friend who has a shop?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2019 5:51 pm
(@suoiruc)
Trusted Member

I stopped buying parts from the local dealer and buy online now. You can save on everything about 40-50% and get it shipped to your door and by reviewing a part, you get free shipping. If you want to compare with your current supplier, check against this dealer:  parts.norwalktoyota.com

I used to buy mostly off ebay but Norwalk is even cheaper and have since gotten three large orders from them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 12:30 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I cant argue with that. I get some sweet deals on Amazon and EBay from time to time and the parts get here sooner. Parking at the dealer is a pain because the porters use the customer parking spots. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 2:15 am
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

Brake rotors, I like Centric, they have a good iron content so they don't warp easily and are very affordable.  Brake pads is highly dependent on application and use. Serpentine belts, I usually go with Gates as they've always worked well and are cheaper than OEM.

Cheap parts like light bulbs and wipers, I absolutely do not recommend going  to the dealer for.  Get them at a parts house or even wal-mart.  Headlight bulbs are a bit different, but I still don't recommend OEM as there are better options for cheaper, or equivalent options for cheaper.

Tires, I would never go through the dealer, they don't have some special supplier, they get tires from the same distributors that independent tire shops get theirs from but usually charge more.  I buy my tires online anymore.

The big things I recommend OEM are oil filters and the Toyota anti-freeze.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 4:42 am
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@nocoolname

I agree with you on all of what you said except why OEM on the antifreeze?

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 5:11 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Toyota coolant is known to be one of the best and longest lasting in the industry. I know some people who use it on other cars. A mechanic friend of mine loves it. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 5:13 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

There are some Toyota fluids that have such a great reputation that they are used on other car makes. The oil pan sealant is very popular. 

Honda moly paste which is no longer available also has a legendary reputation as the best spline grease that is used by enthusiasts of motorcycle and cars. 

I have also found for some unknown reason the Toyota red brake fluid gives me the best results so that’s all I use now because I believe the formulation for their fluids match the internal components and seals. 

I no longer substitute for non OEM except for the engine oil. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 5:26 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

I know this is way overkill and that I will get FLAMED for doing it but I change coolant annually in all of my "special" vehicles (Spyder, S2000, etc). I will check out Toyota coolant. Any good places to buy?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 5:28 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

OK I am now seeing that there are Long Life and Super Long Life in the Toyota coolant. I do know some are "red" and some are "pink" (diluted). Any thoughts on which for the Spyder?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 5:40 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @desertwanderer

I know this is way overkill and that I will get FLAMED for doing it but I change coolant annually in all of my "special" vehicles (Spyder, S2000, etc). I will check out Toyota coolant. Any good places to buy?

I get the Toyota  red concentrate from Amazon.  Although they say you can use pink (backwards compatible) and it was factory fill in 2004 I prefer to stick to red because there is some anecdotal chatter that it’s a better match.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 5:43 pm
(@suoiruc)
Trusted Member

@haloruler64

The coolant was one of the items on my last shipment from norwalk. 

00272-SLLC2    $14.36/gallon

This is the pink stuff.

This post was modified 5 years ago by suoiruc
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 17, 2019 5:47 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: