Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Convertible Top Buyers guide

Page 1 / 2
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I’m getting close to needing another top.  So I started some research.  I thought I’d start a summary of manufacturers and suppliers.  Plus any tips that previous buyers can share.

There seem to be a pretty small number of manufacturers.   There are many more retailers.

Background:

Material -

Material choices are PVC vinyl, or Canvas/rubber laminate.  

Haartz product names for their “canvas” tops are: Sonnenland, Stayfast and Twillfast. “Stayfast” is a coarse weave sort of like a canvas material.  “Twillfast” and “Sonnenland” fabrics have a much finer weave that looks more like a cloth shirt (very tight weave).

Vinyl material is made by Haartz, and many others I imagine.  Vinyl materials can have a wide range of surface textures molded into the exterior - from fake leather to tiny pyramids arranged in a grid.  They use names such as Pinpoint, Bison, Twill Weave, Cabrio and Sailcloth.  I suspect “pinpoint” is the tiny pyramid texture, and “bison” is an imitation leather texture.  

Function -

Vinyl tops are overall more durable in my opinion.  They are less susceptible to showing wear from chafing.  However they are “stiffer” in cold weather and you must not raise or lower them when temperatures approach freezing or the PVC surface will crack.  As they age, vinyl tops seem to wear from the inside.  The bonded inner layer of cloth fabric will chafe away, leaving the thin layer of PVC plastic.  The PVC layer will eventually tear and split.  

Canvas tops are made from heavy woven canvas with an internal layer of butyl rubber, so the whole sandwich is more flexible.   They are more pliable in cool weather.  However in my experience, the cloth exterior surface will wear through at various chafe points as the top ages.   Most people agree that the canvas surface is prettier.

Maintenance -

Both top materials require some regular maintenance.  Vinyl tops should get some plasiticizer applied at intervals. Vinyl tops can fade in the sunlight, but there are lots of “dressing” paints and dyes that can be applied.

Canvas tops must be waterproofed at intervals to minimize the canvas absorbing water and rotting. Bird poop is more easily cleaned off a vinyl top.    I’ve never tried to re-dye my canvas top.  I know you must be careful with treatments on a canvas top.   I used a marine waterproofing product made for canvas one time, and the solvents in the product melted the butyl rubber and destroyed my ragtop.  Oops.  

Manufacturer - the factories that sew the material together into a convertible top.  Some will only sell their products through retailers (can’t buy directly from the manufacturer).    Good ones claim to use computer cut patterns and heat-bonded seams.  

Retailer - the folks that sell convertible tops.   

Buyer’s Info:

The next post in this thread lists all the  Manufacturers I could find.

The post after that lists some of the Retailers I found.  WITH links to their websites showing their MR2 listings.  You’re welcome! 🙂

This topic was modified 4 years ago 8 times by cyclehead
This topic was modified 3 years ago 4 times by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2019 10:54 am
Simplemoney reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

Manufacturers:

Gahh

Sells Direct to public.

Colors: Black, Bisque, Saddle

Autoberry

Autoberry brand has plastic trim around glass. 

Robbins (made by Gahh)

Must buy from a retailer

Colors: Black, "Mazda Tan"

Sierra (made by Gahh)

Must buy from a retailer

Colors: Black, Beige

EZ Top (made by Gahh)

Must buy from a retailer

EZ-ON

Must buy from a retailer

M & T Manufacturing

Sells thru "Convertible top guys"

This post was modified 4 years ago 3 times by cyclehead
This post was modified 3 years ago 3 times by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2019 10:55 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

Retailers:                      

Retailer name

Gahh

Manufacturer’s Name

Sell their own products to public

Price with Stayfast Material (as of Dec 2019)

$996

Convertible Tops

Sell Robbins brand tops only

$977.00

Amazon

Sierra

$610

Amazon

Autoberry

$595

AutoBerry

Autoberry brand

$589

AutoBerry

EZ-ON brand

$689

Auto Tops Direct  ....LINK

Sierra brand

$585

Tops On Line ...LINK

Xtreme

$609

Tops On Line

EZ-ON

$708

Tops On Line

Robbins

$773

Tops On Line

Gahh

$707

EZ Soft Tops ...LINK

Robbins

only vinyl material listed

EZ Soft Tops

Xtreme

only vinyl material listed

Convertible Top Guys ... LINK

M&T Manufacturing

$839

Convertible Top Guys

M&T Manufacturing

$899 with Sonnendeck material

This post was modified 4 years ago 9 times by cyclehead
This post was modified 3 years ago by cyclehead

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2019 10:56 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I’ll be happy to update the previous posts with new info, tips, etc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2019 10:58 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

That's a lot of info .... which one are you leaning toward ?  Thanks ......

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2019 11:56 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@cyclehead

I am in the same boat, hoping to get through another year or two, but the writing is showing up on the wall.

Can you delve a little bit into the differences in the canvas cloths? I already know I will not be going cheap on the fabric. I am annoyed that I have to do this at all, want the most durability.

As I only have 80K on the clock, and the top is actually well-cared-for, it is simple age and sun exposure that is killing it. Poor The Frog needs a garage; he may get one in a few years, but I cannot plan on it. Having UV resistance built into the product only adds to the goop I will use on it regularly, but it matters.

Something else I am very interested in is whether any of them is significantly easier than any other to install, to the point of being something I might consider tackling myself. I am still rather lowly, but I have 'tude. Still, its a $1,000 top. I saw one with a 26 page installation guide. Thats not as bad as it sounds, but i didnt see the actual guide. I can sew a button on a shirt, but not much more.

Thank you muchly for this thread. I got overwhelmed quickly, not having enough background to know whether the fabric made of squirrel hair and dung beetle spit is really as awesome as the marketers say. They all say their shtt is the very best, so all but one of them are LYING. Shocker...

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2019 11:59 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @phats

That's a lot of info .... which one are you leaning toward ?  Thanks ......

I’d like to see the Sonnenland material. I wonder if it’s really any different than haartz. I don’t like the plastic trim piece around the back glass with Autoberry manufactured top.

This post was modified 4 years ago by cyclehead

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2019 2:02 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

@nottamiata

So, how did you fix the holes in your tan top?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2019 2:50 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I’m still learning.  It turns out Sonnenland and Stayfast are both fabrics made by Haartz.   The stayfast is a coarse weave sort of like a canvas material.  Their “Twillfast” and “Sonnenland” fabrics have a much finer weave that looks more like a cloth shirt (very tight weave).

For PVC vinyls, I suspect there are many manufacturers.  There are certainly lots of surface grains that are all just patterns molded into the surface of the vinyl - ie:  Pinpoint, Bison, Twill Weave, Cabrio. Sailcloth.  I haven’t found many specific brands of vinyl material manufacturers, with quantification of vinyl thickness, UV durability, backing materials etc.     Apparently Haartz does make some vinyl (PVC) materials for convertible tops.

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by cyclehead

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2019 4:26 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I have a coarse weave cloth top. No idea what brand. I just wanted to say that cloth is amazing, so much better than vinyl. Deep black and durable.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2019 7:12 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

haartz Stayfast Canvas has a canvas outer layer and a preshrunk cotton inner layer. The two are bonded with and separated by a butyl rubber core. It is this core that makes the fabric last a very long time, with both better static and dynamic wear ratings than vinyl toppings. Haartz Stayfast is the American substitute for the German canvases used in Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, some models of Mustang and Lebaron and others. Canvas is widely regarded as "richer looking" than vinyl. It is a little harder to clean. The inside of the top is pre-shrunk cotton. The inner lining is usually black. If you do not see a canvas top listed for your car, please inquire and we will provide a quotation for it.

Sonnendeck Canvas (also called 'Twillfast') is an American made canvas, true double texture topping like the Haartz Stayfast. Many purists who own Mercedes and other German cars want to see the particular German weave (that is called "dobby weave") when they look up inside the car. Haartz Stayfast canvas has a plain (unwoven) inner lining. So for Porsche, Mercedes and BMW owners who will spend a little more in order to see that "dobby" weave we offer a fabric called Sonnendeck (in addition to the original German Sonnenland or Happich canvas. The wear rating of Sonnendeck is also greater than for Haartz, by perhaps 10%. This is due to the slightly heavier inner lining and subtle bonding specification differences.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2019 6:30 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@mrsponz

I "fixed" my top with Shoe Goo on the outside and some garbage Tenacious Tape on the inside.

I did four patches with the TTape, cleaned the bejeebus out of the fabric with alcohol, dried completely, but two of them still peeled off.

The shoe goo still holding up, though. I did a terrible job, it looks like someone wiped snot on it, but I think thats about as good as it will get. You get about 3.72 seconds to work with it before it becomes tacky, and if you keep going, it turns to shtt.  I may peel it off and try again at some point. It is an ugly patch, but it is small, and effective. So far, it isn't leaking. It was just a pinhole. Good stuff, but not easy to work with.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2019 10:22 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

@nottamiata

Tenacious Tape was garbage? That's sad to hear. I'm guessing the tape on ebay is probable no better. What would happen if you re-inforced the edges of the T-Tape with some Shoe-goo? I guess I will find out eventually. Darn.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 8, 2019 1:59 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Only the ones that failed were garbage,  LOL. Half of them are still intact. And to be fair, they rub on the ribs, so it is a demanding application. I rounded the corners over too, which helps. The top is not the best fabric to adhere to, but the tape still claims to stick to plastic fabrics.

The failures were immediate, so if yours haven't failed in the first few days, its probably OK.

They really ought to install strips of tough, slippery reinforcement over the areas that rub the ribs and where it gets pulled super-taut.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 8, 2019 8:17 am
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member
5DC435B6 9A5A 4625 B9F4 9E619E7B6F35

A local installer who had a huge variety of cars in line (Merc, Porsche, BMW, Rolls, Caddy, Alfa, Miata...) and sold all the brands we see on line, told me that there were only 2 fabric manufacturers for our cars. This was 2 years ago and I seem to forget lots of the actual details. TopsOnLine essentially repeated this same comment. I think it comes down to many things with our cars. In the heyday maybe there were multiple materials and manufacturers. But over time, despite what might be advertised, the choices are brand not material. I will say that I decided to go with the best likely quality and the easiest retailer to communicate with.  The top pictured is the TopsOnLine brand. ( And I had a 10% eBay discount.) Quality has been excellent. See the frame around the rear window? Despite there being plenty of room when folded and no pressure in the collapse, etc. What happens is that that frame, which literally just lightly brushes against fabric when folded, actually polishes a 3x1 cm spot above the passengers head. So, I fold a small blanket and place it on the window and frame when I fold the top. Kinda a pain, but only because it makes closing and opening while on the fly difficult. Whatever. First world problem.

All said, the job is a pain, but actually not that hard. Patience...Dealing with old trim pieces is a hassle. The shopping and sweating the details is mostly about who can you trust to send quality and back up the product if there is an issue.  That said, I would be happy to detail/discuss what I remember about the install.

This post was modified 4 years ago by ISpy
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 10, 2019 9:46 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: