Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Brake Lights Stay On

Page 1 / 2
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

I need help. My brake lights stay on. If I slightly pull up the on the pedal, the lights will cut off. The object below was found on the driver side floormat of my otherwise clean Spyder. I suspected the stoplight switch and found this part (Switch - Toyota (84340-32050)). Is this the right one? If so, I do not see the circular part below.

Also, any tips on the replacement process? It is #9 in the diagram. How in the world do you get to that?  Thanks in advance!

2021 02 27 09 06 50
Diagram

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

Topic starter Posted : February 27, 2021 11:21 am
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

O Shit Galo and I fixed his car a little less than a year ago! there is a rubber grommet like thing that fits into pedal mechanism. PITA to fix there is a post here somewhere on the shit. Galo knows the part number as well. Take the front seat out play astronaut and sitck your head under there and examine the pedal where the dam thing goes and stick the new one in. I'll look for pics Galo likely has some too

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2021 12:22 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Much appreciated! Looking under the dash makes me wonder if I should see how tough dash removal is. I thought under the dash was tight in my S2000 was tight. The Spyder takes it to the next level.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 27, 2021 12:27 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
IMG 1176 (1)

found pics sorry they suck you cannot really see where the piece goes it's hard rubber and it has a rounded pin end that fits into a hole on a square platform that keep the pedal slightly higher than it is without it. higher enough to keep the BL from being on. Galo figured this out I would have lost my mind sorting it.

IMG 1178

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2021 12:30 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

here is the the thread where we did it no part number listed though need Galo for that 

https://www.mr2-spyder.com/community/regular-maintenance-upkeep/some-spyder-fixing-covid-style/

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2021 12:37 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Thanks! Exactly what I needed! I will post if I have any insights.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 27, 2021 12:44 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Thanks to T-bone for the careful instructions "Take the front seat out play astronaut and stick your head under there and examine the pedal where the dam thing goes and stick the new one in. " Turned out it was literally that simple with the aid of pics taken by T-bone and Galo in their endeavor fixing Galo's car.  Was not bad except getting my 70 plus year old frame under the dash was not a pretty sight but it did work. Thanks Guys!

In case this helps all I needed was a 14 mm open end to remove the switch (Switch - Toyota (84340-32050)) and the piece ( Cushion - Toyota 90541-06036). The only thing that was really wrong with mine was the cushion but I replaced both as I did not want to drag my aged posterior under that dash again any time soon.

Again, thanks to both T-bone and Galo for advice and documentation. Such things make life a bit easier for us all.

Take Care!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 27, 2021 6:26 pm
T-bone reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Also, thanks to Cyclehead for a 2016 post on AdChat that warned "The sheet metal edges are razor sharp. Watch your knuckles!". Boy was he right!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 27, 2021 6:50 pm
T-bone reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Sorry, T just told me about this thread! You have the correct p/n for the "cushion". And DW, I'm 71 now, was 70 when the cushion went awol. I was using a wide bladed screw driver to maintain the gap...was a major pain...til I used the screw driver as a lever...viola, there was room to spare and the cush popped right in.

I'm glad you got it done!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2021 7:09 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

And T, the title to our thread was "Some Spyder fixing"...no wonder DW couldn't find it, lol

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2021 7:15 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member
Posted by: @galo

And T, the title to our thread was "Some Spyder fixing"...no wonder DW couldn't find it, lol

yes I just changed the title so it is more searchable 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2021 12:48 pm
Galo and DesertWanderer reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @t-bone
Posted by: @galo

yes I just changed the title so it is more searchable 🙂

I was trying to find it 'cause I knew "we" did the thread. I had to laugh...You da' man, T!

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2021 3:43 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Again, thank you both! You made it fairly easy for me!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 28, 2021 3:52 pm
Galo and T-bone reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Thanks to all of you for posting this information.  It was good for me to read it and hope that I have filed correctly in my brain's memory bank for easy retrieval sometime down the road.  I'm only 68 years old, so perhaps it will be another 3-4 years before I have to make the same repair to my Spyder -- based on all y'alls ages.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2021 5:37 pm
Galo and T-bone reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @uncle-mush

Thanks to all of you for posting this information.  It was good for me to read it and hope that I have filed correctly in my brain's memory bank for easy retrieval sometime down the road.  I/m only 6 years old, so perhaps it will be another 3-4 years before I have to make the same repair to my Spyder -- based on all y'alls ages.  🙂

It's not your age, you young punk...it's your Spyder's age(which is at least 16y/o)... 😉 😉 

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2021 6:29 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: